Civ 3 Unit FLCs to be converted Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beta sprite for cavalry

The beta version of the cavalry sprite. Due to the different placement of the shadows between Civ3 and CTP2 all mounted sprites as I make them now will be slightly smaller then CTP type mounted sprites. Essentially, Civ3 places a rather large shadow under the sprite, and the shadow counts for the 96x72 pixel size, which means such a sprite will look smaller then regular CTP types. The same, to a lesser degree applies to foot units.

For this sprite in particular, I chose an orange coat colour, I originally intended to use yellow or white but those shades didn't look too good. I expect you could consider this a dutch (or English) light dragoon. I should be able to create a number of colour variations for other countries if there is a use for country specific units. Further variations might be possible too.

Marc aka Caran...
    Attached Files

Comment

• Caracorn,
      I have just seen the units and they look amazing.

Notes:
      Essential:
      1) They are not good located. The move path line should be in their foot. In the way it is in their chest. You should elevate the graphics some more to make it stand exacly in their tile.

Not that much important
      2) They should be a little bigger. Not much. I guess increase the size 10 % would be perfect. But i am afraid this is not possible since this will decrease the quality of the graphic too much

3) The edges look a bit odd but doenst seems to be that much of a problem.

The swordsman running is so cool . All sprites we have the units just walk
      "Kill a man and you are a murder.
      Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
      Kill all and you are a God!"
      -Jean Rostand

Comment

• I discovered another problem which I forgot to mention. This is once again the missing hotpoints in the script. The Victory Animations also appear in the wrong spot. Has anyone ever managed Victory Animations that work correctly? I expect we could do the scripts without, but...

Maybe someone is able to either discover what's wrong with our scripts, or else (if the scripts are fine) fix the makespr utility? Finding a way to decompile CTP and CTP2 sprites would be interesting as well.

Marc aka Caran...

Comment

• use the hot points. without an idle animation it shouldnt affe ct them
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

• Pedrunn, all Civ3 sprites run (looks good for cavalry and some others, but really undignified for hoplites and such

I will adjust the hotpoints if the sprites look to be in the wrong spot. Currently I indeed took the middle of the sprite as default.

If I increase sprites any more I will be cutting the shadows all the time (currently I cut a few pixels of shadows on occasion). Unless we can use sprites larger then 96x72 I see no way to do this (or else drop the shadows alltogether, alternatively create new shadows but the easy way won't be similar to either the CTP or Civ3 way).

Yep, the edges come from scaling, I hate it myself, but see no easy way to get rid of them (correcting all manually wouldn't even be foolproof as all depends on the background).

Marc aka Caran...

Comment

• Immortal Wombat I tried, (Attack and Movement uses them anyhow, I'll be adjusting those settings to place the sprites as Pedrunn recommended), but the Victory Animation still gives me the same old line error if I include it's hot points.

Marc aka Caran...

Comment

• I think you can make sprites bigger than 96*72. Didn't BlueO do some 120*90 ones? You can try it at least, with a test sprite and altered script.
                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

• Originally posted by Caranorn
                  but the Victory Animation still gives me the same old line error if I include it's hot points.
                  Odd lines I had something like this in some city sprites I made, make shure that you don't have a pixel on the edge without pure black alpha or that a shadow uses one of the edge lines.

-Martin
                  Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

• I'll try a larger sprite sometime today (just a conversion of a so far non scaled sprite). I actually already tried to do this, but this ain't a good day for me as I did a lot of sloppy mistakes and had to restart twice already.

At least in theory it should be possible to go beyond the 96x72 size. But I recall reading somewhere it was not possible (but whether that was among the official material or somewhere else is another question).

Marc aka Caran...

Comment

• Okay, I finally got to test the larger sprites and it indeed works. I created a simple 120x90 version of the previous cavalry sprite for the test. I'm not sure whether larger sprites are possible, but it shouldn't matter anyhow as this is more then enough.

I also determined by how much horse units should be scaled from Civ3 to CTP2. 115% seems to be about right (hoof to headgear of horse archer compared to hoof to helmet (minus crest) for cavalry). Whether that will look clean is another question. At least I won't have to worry about cutting some part of an animation to fit the old 96x72 sprites. A side effect of the scaling up is of course that the sprite files will be larger (roughly 1.5 compared to 100% civ3 size, that's a bit larger then the average CTP2 cavalry sprite, but not much, more alpha I expect will reduce this too).

I still haven't bothered to modify the hotpoints to better align the sprites to the tiles (as you can see from the attached picture).

Marc aka Caran...

P.S.: I also went to take another look at foot sprite sizes. I expect I'll decide from unit to unit whether it's worth increasing teh size a bit more. 125% would be closer to CTP size, but I'm not sure it's worth updating my existing sprites. That would also mean the foot sprites would be using a basic size above 96x72. If as I assume sprite disc space is related to all the non alpha contents of the graphic files this won't be an issue, else I feel the files will become too large.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Caranorn; September 21, 2002, 09:50.

Comment

• dp

Comment

• which tile is the middle one in? I think those hotpoints do need altering

Comment

• Yes I know, quite a bit They are all supposed to be on one line. I just changed the sprite size for that test and left all else be (bad enough for the normal size, but once i scaled it hotpoints were seriously out of wack).

Marc aka Caran...

Comment

• I think the cavalry in the middle is a tiny bit too big compared to the CtP2 one that is on the right + if he was a tiny bit smaller (which i think would look perfect) he would graphically look better too.

If u dont see what i mean just look how big the horse is to the cavalry archer on the right and then look at how big the horse rider is, there both a little too big IMO

EDIT: Im not saying it graphically looks bad cause it looks bloody great and also the size difference isnt too bad either, just that if it was smaller it would look better in two ways, 1. not scaled as much so looks better quality 2. Same size as CtP2 hose units.
                              Oxygen should be considered a drug
                              Tiberian Sun Retro
                              My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
                              http://www.tiberiumsun.com

Comment

• I seem to recall Faded Glory saying that he reduced resyncs in MP games by making sprites smaller (or something like that...). So big sprites might be bad news, or I might be remembering incorrectly...

Comment

Working...
                                X