How many regular readers are here? This takes about 5 seconds of your time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many regular readers are here? This takes about 5 seconds of your time

This CTP2/Mod thread has started to become a quiet place...
    Just select this
    100.00%
    Forum wanted to create at least two options. Thats why this is here.
    0.00%
    Jani

Five seconds?? What connection do you have? Apolyton has been sloooow lately.

Anyway, I check in at least daily.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
      Five seconds?? What connection do you have? Apolyton has been sloooow lately.
      Ok ok I am wrong person to estimate surfing times because I have not EVER surfed using modem! I don't have internet connection at home.

Maybe I will get one during next 12 months(when I will get digital-tv I have to have return channel too(and my internet connection would be that)) because there is nowadays quite "cheap" fixed *DSL/Cable connections avvailable in my city too(little city, doh).

I have always surfed from school/work(few last years from work) and there have always been a fast connections.

Sorry about that...

Anyway, I check in at least daily.
      I do that too many times during my works(time 8-16(+2 GMT)) but not in weekends.

By the way. I played a little yesterday(apol) and I managed to get into the big war. I hated when orange used clerics against me and I declared war. After that I checked CTRL-K and saw that orange were over two times better than I in military. I actually lost first city to the enemy right after that. I mean that I have not EVER lost a city before. I really enjoy this game now!!!!
      Jani

Comment

I am still reading
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Same as janilxx...

I have DSL internet access at work, so its really easy to take a minute and look at the running threads. In fact its too easy.

But this is a really slow place lately - and since work is also slow, it's like watching paint dry waiting for a post to show up here. And with civ3 coming out in another month, this place will be a ghost town. A shame, because the Mods have fixxed the game. Even the posting on MedMod is at a crawl. At this point in time, I realize that probably all of 5 people use my Mod, but I am still interested in making improvements on Cradle for my own use. I'm still a little ticked off about Apolyton dragging their heels to post the work that has been done by everyone here - maybe if some of the stuff had gone up onsite a few months ago, we would be seeing a little more action here.

I've been playing too much 'Pharaoh' lately - though I will probably start a new CTP2 game in the next few days after another round of tweaks. I am currently working on adding tile improvements using the existing graphics.

BTW, I'm actually not planning on getting civ3, at least buying it myself. With my birthday and Christmas coming up, there will be opportunities to get it as a gift from my wife or kids. The funny thing is that once I get it, I probably will wait a few months before actually playing it, because like Pedrunn stated in an earlier thread, the modding process is what keeps my interest in CTP2. I feel that I have a very good game contained within my Mod, and I still have a lot to get out of it before I jump into civ3.

And there is another game coming out the same week as civ3, that actually interests me more, called 'Stronghold' (a castle sim created by a couple of developers who were involved with 'Pharaoh'). That game looks very cool - though that one might also sit for awhile too.
          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
          ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Originally posted by hexagonian
            And with civ3 coming out in another month, this place will be a ghost town. A shame, because the Mods have fixxed the game. Even the posting on MedMod is at a crawl.
            It already is a ghost town.
            have you seen the general/strategies forum it does not get a post other then the succession games in days.
            I am starting to think that half of the posters are the modding process related people.

At this point in time, I realize that probably all of 5 people use my Mod, but I am still interested in making improvements on Cradle for my own use.
            What i do is for my personal use. And that is what really matters.
            I'm still a little ticked off about Apolyton dragging their heels to
            post the work that has been done by everyone here
            It looks like Activision wasnt the only one who forgot all about CTP2
            maybe if some of the stuff had gone up onsite a few months ago, we would be seeing a little more action here.
            BTW, I'm actually not planning on getting civ3, at least buying it myself. With my birthday and Christmas coming up, there will be opportunities to get it as a gift from my wife or kids. The funny thing is that once I get it, I probably will wait a few months before actually playing it, because like Pedrunn stated in an earlier thread, the modding process is what keeps my interest in CTP2. I feel that I have a very good game contained within my Mod, and I still have a lot to get out of it before I jump into civ3.
            First i will just be able to buy civ3 after some months because it takes some to arrive here in Brazil and some others to arrive in my city since it is not that big city.
            Second i wont buy civ3 if i cant mod it. Some people claim for customization choices when starting a game but modding is the real full customization ! I want to add new imps, new units and future. If i cant i will just buy something else (Empire of Earth is in my plans) or keep playing CTP2 since the game now is outstanding and i am sure if it did not have its name dirty with the Activision too soon release its was going to compete with civ3.
            The fun part i didnt even quite know what mods were before CTP2. The only mod i played before CTP2 was Babylon5 mod for Homeworld. And now i am a modder myself and fighting to mod .

PS1: I know there is not a chance of a CTP3 but Activision could get some of the modders ideas to make it. It was going to be jump to the gender. After all Unconventional warfare, PWs, Elite units, Wonder units and others features are a incredible combination.
            maybe i could wait Dales game
            Any word from him?

PS2: Golden Age sucks it is unbalancing and the player should achive its own golden Age and not get one for free .
            Sorry i had to say that since i was not going to be taken serious if i post it with my signature (wich i do not plan to take it off).

PS3: There are already a lot of PSs already but i wanted to thank you all for all the help and teaching you all guy did. No, i am not leaving the community! i am just thanking .
            Last edited by Pedrunn; September 5, 2001, 11:06.
            "Kill a man and you are a murder.
            Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
            Kill all and you are a God!"
            -Jean Rostand

Comment

In five seconds??? Maybe to vote but not to post. Although I have DSL the post reply page took 46.8 seconds to load officially. However I read the forum daily and try to post every day. But actual I have the feeling that only the modders read this forum regulary.

-Martin
              Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Too busy trying to rule the World

Gentlemen,

I have been following what's been going on and have be busily making notes for numerous improvements that can still be made to the way the mods work, and refining my strategy and tactics.

To really get a feel for what this game could be like, think of earth history starting with the end of the last ice age. Mankind had wandered out of Africa and into the steppe and forests of Russia and Eastern Europe. This was well before 10000BC. By 6000BC there were already well established communities that had extensive trading, domesticated herd animals, fishing, permenant dwellings, flint and copper weapons and tools, religion/animism, monumental construction like Stonehenge, and astronomy.

If you read the Tales of Gilgamesh and Enkidu, you will see the cedar forests that covered Lebanon, and the fertile velley that became the Black Sea. Homer's refences to the fabled Atlantis and Troy that showed civilizations that travelled from one end of the Mediteranean to the other.

Even the works of Summerians and Babylonians recorded thousands of years of astonomical data that formed the basis of the modern zodiac. The Egyptians recorded a supernova that occurred about 5000BC in the shape of their anhk. The pyramids at Giza were laid out in the shape of Orion's Belt. To them it was Osiris. They did construction projects on a scale we have yet to equal and did them without metal tools. They conquerred neighbouring kingdoms as far away as modern Syria. As booty they brought back cedar logs from Lebanon.

I'm hoping that when I get a chance to look at the Cradle Mod, that I will be able to do the same as the Pharaohs. I suspect that it will not be as detailed as I would like to see, but if Hex has done some thinking on how things work in the game , it should be a welcome addition.

This brings me to my ultimate goal - bring all of the mods you have created and weld them into one massive mod that will cover all of the ages in the game. Wes has done wonders in the Medmod, and the Apolytonmod has some more fixes. If I can find time this winter to learn the SLIC functions and the scripting language, they I may be able to combine some of them so that don't hog cpu cylces.

Ultimately, it will include an array of disasters and projects that man has done over the ages. And they should reflect the varied cultures that produced them. Ankor Wat was as important and impressive as the Vatican is today.

The only mod remaining is to improve the modern age to reflect how technology and society have been evolving. That and I hope to be able to make it so that you could fight WW2 and do it in 6 turns. That will finally settle the scale for the combat units as divisions and regiments and not companies and platoons.

Wish me luck as I am not much at programming, but I learn fast.
                "Not the cry, but the flight of the wild duck,
                leads the flock to fly and follow"

- Chinese Proverb

Comment

Good Luck indeed!
                  Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                  "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I check out these forums at least once a day, but as others have remarked, it looks like there's just us modders left.

Comment

I come here everyday and check these forums. It's one of the few things I do online(or offline for that matter). Yes I know I need to get a life, but that's easier said than done. It's a shame that no one post to the medmod thread anymore, except me. Please post in med mod please, tell us about your game or something that's wrong with it. Without the med mod and Apolytonpack threads being updated this place is slow.

Comment

I'm here about every couple of days, but not really posting anymore. I'm more here for the alt.civs and Civ3 now. I do still however look in on CTP2 though. I still got that soft spot.

Comment

I don't check this forum every day, but from time to time I still have a look.

Some weeks ago I stopped playing CTP2, because in the last months (after I downloaded MedMod) I definitely played too much and neglected other activities. Therefore I actually don't get any new playing experiences I could post.

Perhaps this will change when Wes finishes his new Mod.

Comment

I used to read both the CtP1 and CtP2 forums on a daily basis but a combination of real life and some really interesting discussions in the Civ3 forums are keeping me fairly busy these days. Now I only check in every 2 or 3 days or so and only read the most vital stuff (used to read every single post)...
                            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I rarely check the forums as much as I used to. My work blocked Apolyton site and too busy at home. I still play.

Seems kind of sad to see how dead a once very active forum is.
                              Thanks for everything. I guess it is time to jump to Civ 3. I have never fallin in love with and defended a game like I have with CTP 2. LONG LIVE CTP!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X