No announcement yet.

Tons of new graphics coming soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He always does. What programs do you use for making the graphics (even if you use other sources) for the game. PSP, Image Forge, what?
    Activate the Omega 13...

Comment

I am now done with my graphic project, for the most part. I've sent an updated version of the wonders graphics (with a few more wonders), plus the tech and building graphics to Wes to post hopefully soon. I'll be happy to send to anyone else. It seems like Apolyton's CTP download section isn't ready yet, so I haven't sent it there.

I didn't write a readme for the buildings section, since it isn't really done. But I have to stop for now cos I've run out of good raw material to work from. My ultimate goal is to have good graphic replacements for every building in CTP2, so one can get a bigger and better picture of the buildings. I'm still shy of that. Here's the readme for the tech graphics.

TECHNOLOGY GRAPHICS FOR CTP2 VERSION 1.0

by Harlan Thompson

This download allows you to replace the technology graphics of CTP2 with your own. Thus you can have whichever wonders you want in the game, not just the official ones. There are 128 technology pics here to add to or replace those already in the game.

To install these pictures over the existing pictures, follow the instructions in the wonderreadme that comes with the wonder graphics pack. The procedure is nearly identical, except you use the advance section instead of the wonder section of the Uniticon.txt, and so on.

TECH LIST

There were two motivations in making these graphics. One, to help people add techs to the regular tech tree, since it is a poorly designed tree in many ways. Second, replace the graphics for many of the existing graphics. This is because so many of them are simply repetitions of graphics used for buildings or units. If you replace all the pictures below, you should have an original graphic for every item in the tech tree.

In addition, these graphics make possible four new eras: Classical, Medieval, Industrial and Computer. The game will now have nine eras instead of a mere five.

Each age below is divided into two sections. The first section covers preexisting techs that need new graphics because of new ages or image repetition. The second part of each age, the extras, are new techs not in the game. Hopefully some mods will chose to use some of these graphics, to create a more complete game.

ANCIENT
      Bronze Working
      Composite Bow/ Ballistics
      Horse Riding
      Jurisprudence
      Masonry
      Monarchy
      Organized Religion/ Religion
      Plough/ Agriculture
      Ship Building
      Slave Labor
      Stone Working
      Toolmaking
      Trade
      Writing

ANCIENT EXTRAS
      Alphabet
      Aristocracy
      Citizenship
      Currency
      Domestication
      Mathematics
      Mining
      Pottery
      Wheel

CLASSICAL
      Alchemy
      Bureaucracy
      Drama
      Engingeering / Concrete
      Geometry
      Iron Working
      Philosophy

CLASSICAL EXTRAS
      City State
      Civil Service
      Crossbow
      Elephant Training
      Infantry Tactics/ Tactics
      Seafaring
      Seige Warfare
      Stirrup

MEDIEVAL
      Cannon Making
      Classical Education
      Crop Rotation/ Agricultural Revolution
      Feudalism
      Gunpowder
      Hull Making
      Paper Currency/ Banking
      Theology

MEDIEVAL EXTRAS
      Astrolabe
      Compass
      Mechanical Power
      Paper
      Plate Armor
      Theology

RENAISSANCE
      Age of Reason
      Cavalry Tactics
      Chemistry
      Economics
      Firearms
      Modern Metallurgy
      Nationalism
      Naval Tactics
      Ocean Faring
      Optics
      Physics
      Printing Press

RENAISSANCE EXTRAS
      Anatomy
      Atomic Theory
      Capitalism
      Cartography
      Civil Engineering
      Electromagnetism/ Magnetism
      Espionage
      Gravity Theory
      Mechanical Clock
      Navigation/ Chronometer
      Perspective
      Republic
      The Vacuum

INDUSTRIAL
      Adv. Infantry Tactics
      Communism
      Corporation
      Democracy
      Electricity
      Explosives
      Industrial Revolution
      Internal Combustion
      Mass Transit
      Modern Medicine
      Oil Refining
      Pharmaceuticals
      Railroad

INDUSTRIAL EXTRAS
      Automatic Weapons
      Biology
      Conscription
      Electrification
      Fundamentalism
      Gear Cutting Machinery
      Guerrilla Warfare
      Immunization
      Imperialism
      Labor Union
      Machine Tools
      Medicine
      Photography
      Popular Press
      Railroad
      Refrigeration
      Sanitation
      Steam Engine
      Steel
      Telegraph
      Telephone

MODERN
      Adv. Naval Tactics
      Adv. Urban Planning
      Aerodynamics
      Criminal Code
      Fascism
      Flight
      Jet Propulsion
      Mass Media
      Mass Production
      Mobile Warfare / Tank Warfare
      Naval Aviation
      Quantum Mechanics
      Radar

MODERN EXTRAS
      Agro-industry
      Automobile
      Civil Rights
      Combined Arms
      Contraception
      Literacy
      Plastic
      Radio
      Rocketry
      Television

COMPUTER
      Advanced Composites
      Computer
      Conservation
      Corporate Republic
      Global Communications
      Global Economics
      Guided Weapons Systems
      Nuclear Power
      Space Flight
      Superconductor
      Supersonic Flight
      Vertical Flight

COMPUTER EXTRAS
      Laser
      Microchip
      Nuclear Fission
      Nuclear Fusion
      Personal Computer
      Popular Entertainment
      Solar Energy

GENETIC EXTRAS
      Zero G Industry

NOTES:
      The graphics have been stolen from many sources, I didn’t actually create a single one. I did do a decent amount of touching up to get them just right, however. Hopefully most additional techs people would want to put in mods will be found right here.

In some cases I thought I had a better name than the name used in CTP2, or had a tech that could have more than one name. In such cases the second name is after the /.

In making these graphics, I also had a bit of an agenda. I tried to add as many non-European graphics as I could find images for, to lessen the Western bias of the game. After all, China was the most advanced civilization until the last 500 years, and the Islamic and Indian civilizations were usually ahead of Europe until that time as well.

The graphics die out right about today. In the future I hope to finish off the Computer Age, and do some graphics for the Genetic and Diamond ages. Blanks have been provided if you want to make your own tech graphics.

Comment

Although I didn't do a readme for this one, here is the list of the buildings I've finished and sent off. If anyone has any ideas where to steal more graphics for this, let me know. Most came from Civ2: TOT. I don't really like the building graphics from the Age of Kings and Age of Empires (I hate how they're all square, and the viewing angle).

ABM
        Academy
        Agora
        Airport
        Aquaduct
        Aquaduct2
        Arena
        Ballista Towers
        Barracks
        Battlements
        Battlements2
        Capitalization
        Capitalization2
        Capitol
        Capitol2
        Castle
        Cathedral
        Church
        City Walls
        Dam
        Dockyards
        Electirc Plant
        Factory
        Food Silo
        Forcefield
        Forge
        Fortress
        Granary
        Gymnasium
        Harbor
        Infrastructure
        Lab
        Library
        Marketplace
        Marketplace2
        Modern Factory
        Museum
        Nuclear Plant
        Nuclear Plant2
        Observatory
        Offshore Platform
        Oil Refinery
        Police Station
        Prison
        Public Baths
        Public Transport
        Recycling Plant
        School
        Shrine
        Shrine2
        Skyscraper
        Solar Plant
        Sports Stadium
        Superhighway
        Temple
        Theater
        Tower
        University

One last comment: now that these graphics are done, there is a crying need for all of them to have some Great Library text. Is anyone interested in writing that? Just as I stole the images and edited them, maybe we have a text pirate who could steal from www.britannica.com and other sources, and edit them down for a quick text fix?

[This message has been edited by Harlan (edited January 02, 2001).]

Comment

So to use pics say from the internet all you have to do is copy it into PaintShopPro or similiar and save it as a TGA file?

------------------
          " mind over body "
          Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

You may have to do some editing on them. They need to be 160x120 pixels and 16-bit tga. It will take some more effort if you want to use the CTP2 backgrounds like Harlan did.

Comment

What Paul said.

I have good news- the files are finally posted. Scorpion has been kind enough to give me a webpage to put things like this up. Not exactly high in the artistic display at this point, but it gets the job done!

To download these graphics I've been blathering on about for the last few days, go to: http://ctpmaps.apolyton.net/harlan/.

The buildings file isn't so big, so there's just one version. The wonders and techs are pretty big though, so you can either download them all at once, or in pieces. Altogether its about 6 MB of download. Let me know if there's any problems, this is a brand new thing.

Oh, and to use the backgrounds, you'll find blank tech backgrounds in the downloads. Open one of those blanks, copy your image into that file using PGP or whatever, and then save.

[This message has been edited by Harlan (edited January 04, 2001).]

Comment

Harlan,
                >99kok

Don,
                CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

Working...
                X