Complete Guide to SLIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete Guide to SLIC

After several months of work, the Complete Guide to SLIC is finished. It runs to about 250 pages and is divided into three sections. The first section covers how to write SLIC code, the second section provides a walk through of writing SLIC code (in this case it is a demo script to return cattle to the game, with some changes that prevent the original problems), section 3 contains the appendices for SLIC commands etc. The document is in .pdf format, but it is about 3.75MB, so it is too large to post in the forum. It will need to be posted in the modification section, if someone just tells me where to send it.

I first conceived the idea when I was trying to learn how to write script codes with SLIC. There was not a comprehensive guide and it was difficult to sort through the bits and pieces out there to understand how everything worked. This guide hopefully will cut through the confusion.

The Guide can be found Here: http://apolyton.net/dir/index.php?&i...s=4311&cat=240
    Last edited by ahenobarb; September 29, 2003, 14:30.

Sounds good Ahenobarb, but the attachment's not working.

You should be able to put it into the Directory, but you'll have to PM Locutus to get the mechanics sorted.

Actually, he'll undoubtedly PM you as soon as he sees this thread.

Comment

I had the same problem with the attachment, but if you right-click and "save target as... " you can get the attachment. I'll wait for Locutus to get in touch with me.
      Last edited by ahenobarb; September 17, 2003, 18:05.

Comment

The process is very simple ahenobarb, go to the CTP2 directory and to the CtP2 web page where you would download your file, click on the Add Link link and fill the little form.

Last edited by Tamerlin; September 20, 2003, 14:12.
        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

The full SLIC guide is ready for downloading with the link above.

I added a link in the files forum, but it is not there. Do I need to await approval, or did I do something wrong?

Comment

Good work ahenobarb

Comment

Wow! Been wondering what you've been doing for the past three months. Great job that I'm sure will be much appreciated by beginning SLICers.

Comment

I added a link in the files forum, but it is not there. Do I need to await approval, or did I do something wrong?
                Yup, you need my approval, which I'm in the process of giving (it's been a while so I have to get used to it all over again )

In the meantime, did you read my (unfinished) SLIC manual as well? Parts of our guides are very, very similar, which proves either of two things: (1) you used my guide as basis for yours or (2) great minds think alike. Probably the latter
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Oh, I did move the file to the Reference folder (as opposed to Modification/Text & Slic), as that is the place where all manuals and stuff go (Text & Slic is for actual SLIC/txt files).

Edit: Why does it say that the author is Tamerlin? The database thinks very highly of Tam, it would seem It may take some time to fix that, but I'll make sure it will...

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus

Yup, you need my approval, which I'm in the process of giving (it's been a while so I have to get used to it all over again )

In the meantime, did you read my (unfinished) SLIC manual as well? Parts of our guides are very, very similar, which proves either of two things: (1) you used my guide as basis for yours or (2) great minds think alike. Probably the latter
                    Your guide is where I got my start with SLIC.

To produce the outline for the first part of the guide, I used your guide and SAM's learn C for Linux in 21 days -- that told me an acceptible order for basic programming stuff so beginners can learn. The other chapters in section I (sort of) follow the order of the documents activision produced: messages, alerts, etc.

The outline of the second part is in the order that I wrote the demo code.

I had hoped to list only functions and commands that actually work in the appendices (that's why I asked about the Duration command), but this proved too time consuming. PErhaps with the source code, commands that don't work can be made to function again.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                      Edit: Why does it say that the author is Tamerlin? The database thinks very highly of Tam, it would seem

It's time to tell the truth, ahenobarb is my DL...

"Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

So it's true! Inside every European, there's an American waiting to be born.

Actually I followed the link Tamerlain provided, so I think the board thought I was him.

Comment

Originally posted by ahenobarb
                          So it's true! Inside every European, there's an American waiting to be born.
                          I would have bet the contrary if we consider the origins of the american people.

Actually I followed the link Tamerlin provided, so I think the board thought I was him.
                          True, I am the guilty party.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin

I would have bet the contrary if we consider the origins of the american people.
                            What Frenchman is still awake at 5am Euro-time? You're not California French are you?

Comment

Originally posted by ahenobarb
                              Actually I followed the link Tamerlain provided, so I think the board thought I was him.
                              Ah yes, Tamerlin didn't remove the session ID (sid) part of the link, so the Dir did indeed think you were him. One should always remove the 'sid=xxxx&' part from the URL when linking to parts of the Directory...

Comment

Working...
                              X