Questions about the AI and GoodMod1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the AI and GoodMod1

Through the Democracy Game, I have noticed that the AI seems to use a more elaborate strategy than in the SAP2, the units look as if they were better organized and the AI Civs more sneaky.

Martin, have you changed some datas in the strategies.txt file in the C:\Program Files\Activision\Call To Power 2\ctp2_data\default\aidata or have you designed new slic files to change the behavior of the AI civs.

If I want to use the improved files with the SAP2 can I simply rename the said files APOL_xxxxx and use them as they are or do I need to make some changes?
    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Well that is a hard work to find all the files I modified. To answer your question I did everything.

I wrote the better AI slic that file groups the AI combat units automaticly once they are on the same square and removes civilians from the stacks. I noticed that if I group the units via the Cheat Editor the AI would attack. So the AI suddenly had the neccessary force match level together to attack. I also adjusted the Strategy priorities, for instance the priority for settling, you know what happend in the DG Game the map is full of AI cities. Additional I added new goals some of them reuire new images, and other ones are just added for the AI. To make it to build fors on the map somewhere for instance. Additional I added player1's build lists, modified the DiffDB.txt like Dave did it just a little bit slightlier then Dave did it but heavier then Dale did it. I modified the diplomacy.txt and the peronalities.txt slightly. But I think that are only some little issures. Well and not yet in the official version Maq's advancelist.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Thanks for your answer Martin,

According to your post the main difference would be your MG_BetterAI.slc file though you have introduced many other modifications that have a big impact on the overall game.

I have had a look at your MG_BetterAI.slc file and it seems I can simply add the line #include "MG_BetterAI.slc" to the APOL_main.slc file to use your improved AI with the Apolyton Pack as your slic code does not call any string file. Am I right?

"Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

You can do it but I think this want give you the high numbers of AI units you see in GoodMod for ApolytonPack, so you need also the DiffDB.txt of GoodMod.

I don't know if the strategies are necessary, but without them the AI is unable to plant forts on a defence place, well also a slic file is necessary for this.

-Martin

Comment

There is already a file called APOL_FortsForAIs which is included in the APOL_main.slc and which is the same version of your MG_FortsForAIs included in GoodMod.

The problem is that I have already modified the Strategies and DiffDB of the Apolyton Pack installed on my computer so I would prefer not to overwrite or change them.

I am also playing with Peter and Pedrunn's Updater2 (from which the AI civs are greatly benifiting as the updating process is free of charge as far as they are concerned) and I fear that the game would become unbalanced if I am multiplying the number of units produced by the AI. The earlier game is really tough when the AI is automatically updating its units.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
            There is already a file called APOL_FortsForAIs which is included in the APOL_main.slc and which is the same version of your MG_FortsForAIs included in GoodMod.
            Yes it is but it is actual a very dumb workaround and an AI cheat in addition. It just places forts on neutral land near a road that was just build or just finished, no idea which way around it was. Gives the AI the necessary PW. And sometimes it tries to place the tile into the sea or the necessary unit is placed into the sea. Well both are non intended bugs.

The solution you find also in GoodMod has to do with the additional unit order buttons, one of these orders is called build fort or something like this. If you press the button and you have enough PW, et cetera... it builds a fort, with the help of some slic code. I added a goal that uses this build fort order, the goal is a defence goal and has to be added to the strategies.txt to the goals section. The target type is own border, so whenever the AI needs to defend its borders and considers this goal it can build forts at its borders.

-Martin

Comment

I am sorry to bother you again Martin but I have a few other questions.

I have just looked at your GM1_strategies.txt file and you have made an impressive number of changes.

Can I simply rename your file APOL_strategies.txt and use it as it is as far as GoodMod is installed.

Actually I would like to test your MG_BetterAI.slc and your strategies.txt with the SAP2.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
                Can I simply rename your file APOL_strategies.txt and use it as it is as far as GoodMod is installed.
                Easy question and easy answer if I just limit to the No. And difficuilt answer if I tell you how to do it.

In addition to the GM1_strategies.txt you need:

1. GM1_Orders.txt
                2. upsi44.tga
                3. upsi44d.tga
                4. upsi45.tga
                5. upsi45d.tga
                6. upsi46.tga
                7. upsi46d.tga
                8. GM1_Goals.txt
                9. GM1_TileimpOrders.slc
                9. GM1_unitbuildlists.txt
                10. GM1_buildlistsequences.txt

I don't know if the last file is really necassary, but it will keep the AI in unit producing state when everything else is build.

-Martin

Comment

Thank you Martin, I already have all the files in my CtP2 folder as I have installed GoodMod.

I really appreciate the time you have devoted to my questions, thank you Martin.

Comment

Working...
                  X