Unit.name vs. unit.type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit.name vs. unit.type

What is the difference between the unit.type and the unit.name? Unit.type I understand it's UNIT_WARRIOR, UNIT_ARCHER, etc., but what is unit.name? Warrior Ebert? Bill the Archer? Does every unit have a unique name? If so, what form is the name, alpha or numeric, i.e. "unit Jimmy-Jo-jo" or "unit 56718"

I don't think I ever actually bothered to test this but I'm pretty sure unit.type returns UNIT_WARRIOR (or 70, rather, which is the index of UNIT_WARRIOR in units.txt) whereas unit.name returns "Warrior".
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
      I don't think I ever actually bothered to test this but I'm pretty sure unit.type returns UNIT_WARRIOR (or 70, rather, which is the index of UNIT_WARRIOR in units.txt) whereas unit.name returns "Warrior".
      So the name is not unique? That's too bad.

Where's my lemur poo? I need to shake some work arounds.

Comment

Nope, it's defined in gl_str.txt. You can give armies (including armies consisting of 1 unit) unique names, but not units (and you can't retrieve these unique names with SLIC).

Comment

Nope, it's defined in gl_str.txt. You can give armies (including armies consisting of 1 unit) unique names, but not units (and you can't retrieve these unique names with SLIC).
          Hey, that may just be what I am looking for!

How do you name single unit armies?

How do you access the armies name with SLIC? All I see under army is owner, location, size?

Can you automatically assign a single unit to an army and give the army a unique name with SLIC?

Thanks

Comment

You can set the name in-game with the army manager (press '.', or right-click, select army manager). But like I said, it's not possible to access the name in SLIC.

Comment

You can set the name in-game with the army manager (press '.', or right-click, select army manager). But like I said, it's not possible to access the name in SLIC.
              Oops, read too fast. Didn't see the apostrophe "t".

Comment

unit.type returns the index number, not a string - the other one? never used it...

Comment

unit.name if I am right is used in strings .

So you can make a massage box saying

Are warrior is dead

as apposed to

Are unit_warrior is dead

as for the rest i thinck Locutus has delt with it.
                  "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
                  The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
                  Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Mc
                    Are unit_warrior is dead
                    Actually, that would become 'A(re?) 70 is dead', but aside from that, you're right.

Comment

There has always got to be something.

The big mc every time he does \ says anything wrong.

Besides is there a good guide to making strings. I don't thick there is just some rubbish one cobbled together in the slic stuff on apolyton.
                      "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
                      The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
                      Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

Working...
                      X