No announcement yet.

Fan's Choice Mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the Teleport event has proven to be buggy. Might be just as easy to just kill the units and recreate them at the new location. The only potential problem here is UI: every singly unit in the game would have to have a new button for a teleporting order. I'm not sure if this would work without resorting to ugly hacks...
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
      The only potential problem here is UI: every singly unit in the game would have to have a new button for a teleporting order. I'm not sure if this would work without resorting to ugly hacks...
      Actual you only need an unused event as slic object on that your new order can be triggered. So such an event could be the Teleport event, but I think you shouldn't use it in that way as I am afraid that it will be then used on the unit and that is not the intension. Maybay also self definded slic objects does work. But that is not shure as it says in Orders.txt EventName.

The real problem is that we only have a fixed number of UnitPretest_* available.

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

I think that the concept of having resources pop up when a civilization has discovered how to take advantage of it would add a layer of strategy to the game. Specially if it could be combined with an option of requesting to buy a resource from a player and the requirement of having a resource to actually build a unit even if one has the knowledge of how it would be built. In “real life” the knowledge of how to build a nuclear bomb is out in the internet, but you need enriched uranium to go ahead and build the dam thing. The same with oil, who knew that it would be such a highly regarded commodity, which would make vast stretches of desert such a valuable territory worth fighting for. In the game, if you don’t have a resource within your possession, you would either buy it or you conquer it. As IW said, the trick would be to get the AI to realize this and actively want to have such resources. Otherwise, if it never went after iron ore, it could never have knights, which would put it at a disadvantage against the human, and nobody wants that.

Since my knowledge of computer programming is restricted to GAUSS, I’m totally useless in this respect. But I was wondering if it could be possible to get the AI to want to acquire a resource it has just discovered a use for. Like if it discovered “trade” it would need gold to finance it’s trade, so have the AI go after all the gold possible. I think the best possible way would be to put declining weights on the need for a resource with a larger weight placed on the resource which it most recently found a use for. Depending on the regard/trust level between nations and on the aggressiveness of each civilization, it would either request to buy a resource or declare war for it. With the strategy being to conquer an enemy city that’s next to the resource in question. Like I said, these are only ideas, I have absolutely no idea if it could be possible to put them into practice. Sorry
        "Between nations, as between persons, respect for each other's rights is peace".- Benito Juárez.

Comment

One of the things that may be a bit tricky is that the computer does have knowledge of the whole map before the game starts but is also subject to the fog of war. I assume this may be true for CTP2 as well. It is my understand that on Civ 3 the computer actively seeks out these locations. I guess this is some sort of AI cheat. So I guess that not only would one have to program the AI to go and actively search out these resources, but also how to use them and trade for them. Again, this is my assumption. I'm not a programmer nor do I play one on TV.

Also, balance may be an issue. On Civ 3 one civ doesn't have all of the resources in their empire, so this makes trade, diplomacy, and war a necessity. This is especially true when iron arrives. Going from bronze to iron is a huge advantage, especially when your opponent does not posess it. If your opponent has it and you don't, then it becomes a question of bartering for it or builing up a huge "bronze" army and throwing sheer numbers at the AI.
          When it does pop up in your territory, you have to build a road to it to gain access to it. If it lies outside of your sphere of influence, you can build a road and establish a colony to gain its use. I pet peeve here is that the AI my settle right next to your colony, and steal the resource use from you. I usually get pissed and declare war, especially if this was my only sources. If I do it to the computer, they really don'tseem to mind.
          The wall of the Achaians

Comment

Well that’s were the prototype ctp2 colony is better. it can't be captured it has to be destroyed. if I remember the code is around here somewhere.

The original colony’s were devised by pedrun but I modified them to allow for the immigration of pop points from colonies to cities. There not finished but is still a work in progress. !
            "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
            The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
            Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

Working...
            X