Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Fault

Hello everyone,

I was playing around with map settings and looked at the profile.txt and userprofile.txt files and found something interesting. Both of these files list the plugins to use when CTP2 creates a map. Specifically, these files are:

geometric.dll
    crater.dll
    plasma2.dll

I don't know about the others, but the crater.dll file is responsible for the crater lakes that you sometime find in the map (kinda a no-brainer really). Don't know what plasma does, but geometric probably tells the computer to put continents in a line on x & y axis, also it must say that underwater trenches are set on a diagonal.

Anyway, I noticed that plasma.dll is listed twice. So I figured there must be a mistake and sure enough in the ctp2_program/ctp/map directory there is another .dll called fault.dll. I added this to the profile files listed above and it doesn't seem to cause any problems. I don't know exactly what it does, but in the map.txt file there is are some lines that say:

MAP_BORDER_SIZE 15
    MAP_FAULT_LINES 0
    MAP_FAULT_LENGTH 1.0
    MAP_NS_BORDER_SIZE 5

I put 1000 fault lines into a map with a faul length of 100.0 and have played without anything bad happening. Still doesn't seem to do anything, but perhaps some game play will reveal something interesting.

Anybody know anything about this file?

Also, what are the border settings here, I played with them an haven't noticed anything.

BTW: you must use the other .dll files, removing them from the profiles will cause a crash.

Interesting stuff. Tried it myself – also no problems (but no gain either). Maybe they intended to include fault lines for earthquakes, volcanoes etc. but ditched the idea.
    If something doesn't feel right, you're not feeling the right thing.

Comment

I think this has something to do with the deep sea trenches that where in CtP1 but never included (strangly) in CtP2, its even listed in the Great Library, but never appears ingame.

Incase u havent played it, it would have appeared like fault lines do now only it was a trench and Sea cities couldnt build on it.

I wonder if it can be got to work again, it would only need the exact same rules as the fault lines currently have only different tiles used (the trench ones obviously)

-James
      Oxygen should be considered a drug
      Tiberian Sun Retro
      My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
      http://www.tiberiumsun.com

Comment

Originally posted by SMIFFGIG
        I think this has something to do with the deep sea trenches that where in CtP1 but never included (strangly) in CtP2, its even listed in the Great Library, but never appears ingame.

Incase u havent played it, it would have appeared like fault lines do now only it was a trench and Sea cities couldnt build on it.

I wonder if it can be got to work again, it would only need the exact same rules as the fault lines currently have only different tiles used (the trench ones obviously)

-James
        I noticed as well that the trench graphic is still in CTP2, you can access it through the world map editor in cheat mode. Perhaps there's a way to bring it back? It would probably take a lot of work though.

I was hoping that I would get earthquakes, if I put fault lines in the map.txt file. I cycled through 150 turns without one, so maybe the fault file was just for the trenches.

Comment

I noticed as well that the trench graphic is still in CTP2, you can access it through the world map editor in cheat mode. Perhaps there's a way to bring it back? It would probably take a lot of work though.
          But we need graphics for it in the .til file
          "Kill a man and you are a murder.
          Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
          Kill all and you are a God!"
          -Jean Rostand

Comment

pedrun is right there are no turns or ends for the trenches. how ever if you keep them in a straight line plus a bit of work in psp it is possible to use some of the things used for deep sea rifts on this one. eg it is possible to seal one of these trenches by using the ends of a rift.

Any way try opening the terains.txt and mod the entry for the deep sea trenches there is a movement type if I am not mistaken at the bottom change that to the relevant deep sea movement type and you can move from the shallows where you can put it; to the deep sea were if you look you can sea that they match.
            "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
            The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
            Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

I tried both entries in the map.txt:

MAP_FAULT_LINES 0
              MAP_FAULT_LENGTH 1.0

And I got lines of mountains and hills on my map, or fault lines. So you shouldn't use to short lines like you have in the example above that should be only one mountain you get from it. And you should make shure that you modify the right map.txt entry that will be used for the map creation otherwise you just pick the wrong map and don't see the effect therefore.

Another aspect is that these map plug ins do have the same names like in CTP1 but have different sizes.

-Martin
              Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Hey, MC.M! How're they hanging?!
                -30-

Comment

Working...
                X