More Thoughts on Cross Water Invasions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Thoughts on Cross Water Invasions

I have no idea if this is possible at all. But concerning the question of cross water invasions.

Is it possible to create a new unit - a special version of the Troop Ship (available to the AI only) which would be fully loaded with five units the moment it was built - making the ship's cargo part of the unit itself? If it were, I guess the next step would be making building these ships and sending them to foreign shores a priority for the AI.

Again, I don't have a clue if this would work.
    "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Why?
    Diderot was right!
    Our weapons are backed with UNCLEAR WORDS!
    Please don't go, the drones need you.

Comment

Originally posted by Proserpine
      Why?
      That would help the AI to start invasions accross the water. Unfortunatly there is no way to create a transporter with cargo on board directly you have to load it with every single unit. I worked on a solution, unfortunatly I don't have the time right now (I have to write tommorow an exam and in the next two weaks there are another two). This sollution deals with moving units that are just setting on the coast into transprts. And I think this is the way to go.

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Or board half units that are inside a city when the a ship transpoter is built.

You could also add things like.

-If city is building sea transport make 5 units go to the city.
        -Only board if city has more than 6 units.
        -Only board if there isnt an enemy stack in a neighbor tile
        -etc...

PS: The way you thought the AI would be cheating too much and too visible to the human.
        "Kill a man and you are a murder.
        Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
        Kill all and you are a God!"
        -Jean Rostand

Comment

Didn't Dale's WAW mod have a fix to make units near an empty troop ship embark and head towards enemy territory, i'm sure it was in one his readme's.
          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
            Didn't Dale's WAW mod have a fix to make units near an empty troop ship embark and head towards enemy territory, i'm sure it was in one his readme's.
            It's been a while since I've played WAW, but I seem to recall this as well. I seem to remember the AI constantly landing small stacks on my shores. (I'd crush them right away, but they landed none-the-less )

Comment

TheArsenal,

As well as what Martin said (although that's probably just a programming challenge), it seems to me that a more basic problem with your suggestion would be: when to build the transports. The conditions under which you would want to do this seem to me to be very difficult to specify.

BTW, since you seem to be the local Naval fanatic, what do you think of increasing the movement points for all Naval units? Ships seem to move awful slowly compared to land units that can get bonuses for roads, etc. My inclination is to dramatically increase Naval movement rates. Do you think this would make them more fun to use?

Comment

Well, I don't know about TheArsenal, but I certainly agree ships should have higher movement points!
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I think increasing the movement points for naval units makes sense. But only for some units as opposed to all. I like the slow rate of exploration in the early game, so I probably wouldn't want to see units like the coracle or trireme with any added movement. And because of the human's greater ability to move armies across water, I would probably not increase the movement points of personnel carrying units like long ships or troop ships as that (at least the way I play) would increase my advantage. At the same time, submarines, destroyers battleships, etc. do seem particularly slow when you compare them with how far a tank can move across a railroad. So to me I guess it would make sense if the naval units after, say, the ironclad, were given increased movement.

And in some ways, I guess, the limited movement of the early naval units make up for the fact that traveling by sea is exceedingly safe in the game as compared to naval travel of the era - no pirates, no storms, no getting lost at sea, no mutinies, just the occasional enemy ship.

Comment

Yeah huh... there aren't any natral disasters in the game... or unit disband b/c of loww moral and that stuff

Comment

In his review of RoN's Conquer The World beta, Rohag wrote:

The other glaring problem is that the AI can't yet handle naval operations. I must say I exploited this in a couple scenarios; going into the RTS game I knew from the strategic situation that it would involve significant naval action or amphibious invasion and I could relax, relatively speaking. This certainly needs fixing.
                      Looks like even Jason Coleman and his big huge Big Huge programming team are having problems with this one.

Comment

Well, I've seen it working well enough in other games (though oddly enough I can't seem to recall any titles right now), so it must be a Civ thing
                        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                          Well, I've seen it working well enough in other games (though oddly enough I can't seem to recall any titles right now), so it must be a Civ thing
                          Might be. Civ III/Ptw handles it poorly as well (but it doesn't surprise me, as, IMHO, most aspects of combat in that game come up short compared to CTP II.)

Comment

Why not build a transport unit, with all the troops already on the ship, ready to invade?
                            This unit could cost the sum af the units and could have a certain combination of units or use default ones, like marines.
                            That could help a lot the AI because you don't have to teach anything to it, or am I wrong?

Nova.

PS:forgive me for missing for so long and prepare for even longer "vacations" since I am doing my military service ( and bringing Civ3 players to the true Ctp2 Faith, doing it)

Comment

another thing i really dislike is that (afaik) you can only send in the groundtroops from one ship at one time when attacking cities/stacks directly from the shore. i'd like to see combined stacks of marines (or older amphibious assault units like in cradle) from several ships assisted by helicopters, planes, whatever

Comment

Working...
                              X