Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying terrain in CTP2

I don't have much time, so i'll be brief
    I don't like those huge bunch of mountains when i start the game (Cradle 1.32) , so what needs to be modified that mountains appear on every island/continent as small ranges not as enire mountain continents.
    Thanks
    GLORY TO THE MANY
    SLAVA MNOGIMA

1. Increase the Diversity of the map in the start-up screen (this will make other terrain type more diverse as well of course)

2. Edit these lines in CRA_Const.txt (values in brackets are the values as in the original game) - MOUNTAIN_SPREAD is the most important one in your case:
    PERCENT_MOUNTAIN 7 # percetage of land with mountain on it - this is a target only (WW from 5)
    MOUNTAIN_CELL 4 # length of a side of a cell - one cell contains at most 1 mountain chain. (WW from 5)

PERCENT_HILLS 13 # percent of land with hills on it (from 5)
    MOUNTAIN_SPREAD 60 # chance that the mountain chain spreads out (from 25)
    MOUNTAIN_LENGTH 8 # average length of a mountain chain (from 25)
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Aqtaca,

If you can't get the sort of maps you want by tweaking the data in Const.txt (I never could) here's a more radical 'solution'. The attached file is a modified version of Martin's GoodMod1.slc that I've been developing. If you like it the way it is, fine; otherwise I'm open to suggestions.

Put the file GM1_GoodsPlus.slc in your ctp2_data\default\gamedata folder. Then open CRA_script.slc, go to the very bottom of the file, and change it so that it looks like this:

//#include "CRA_Goods.slc"

#include "GM1_GoodsPlus.slc"
      If you don't like what results, just delete #include "GM1_GoodsPlus.slc" and remove the two forward slashes in the line above it to revert to the original Cradle set up.

There's a lot of unproductive terrain types included in the game. IMO, it's great that they included these for specialized scenario maps but they're not a lot of fun on random maps. So I've put in some SLIC code that removes them when a map is randomly generated. Specifically:

1) Tundra and Glaciers are completely removed and randomly replaced by Grassland, Plains, or Forest

2) Brown hills, White hills, and White Mountains are likewise randomly replaced by Hills, Plains, or Forest

3) One in every three Hills tile is replaced by a Grassland tile. This cuts down on the huge block of hills you sometimes find.

4) One in every three Mountains tile is replaced by a Grassland tile, and another one in three is changed to a Forest tile. This cuts down on the 'huge bunch of mountains' you dislike.

When you start a game, be prepared to wait awhile. It can take quite a long time to do all that.

I would appreciate it if anyone who downloads this and trys it out would report back with any comments they might have. I'd like to use this technique in a forthcoming Mod I'm working on and it would be very useful to know what people think and what needs adjusting. (I think I've gone a bit overboard on the Grassland.)
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks to both of you- i will use both ways immediately.
        GLORY TO THE MANY
        SLAVA MNOGIMA

Comment

darn...
          none of those worked.

I first tried Locutus' solution, but nothing
          then i made alteration not only in CRA_const.txt , but in CRAEU_, CRAB, CRARR, CRAS and in the original const.txt

nothing...

then i took file Peter recommended- still nothing- i followed instructions to step.
          Perhaps i need to erase something?
          GLORY TO THE MANY
          SLAVA MNOGIMA

Comment

That is very odd You should at least notice *something*. With my method, try setting the settings to something extreme: set PERCENT_MOUNTAIN to 90% or so. Does that make even the slightest difference? If not, you're probably not editing the right file...

Comment

Aqtaca,

What version of Cradle are you playing?

Anybody else tried it and had problems?

Comment

Well, this gets odder and odder.
                I modified to 90% of mountains- it is the file, Locutus- it's CRA_Const.txt
                Nothing- things remained the same- although sometimes when i launch new game i get so little grasslands, plains and other food-producing terrain and vast continents of mountains and gleciers....

Well, i almost made my peace and i wanted to play with 10 opponents, so i edited userprofile.txt
                When i launched the new game, game crashed with some message
                "Piracy_test.txt value out of limits"

This happens only once i edit userprofile.txt

As for version, i'm playing 1.32
                GLORY TO THE MANY
                SLAVA MNOGIMA

Comment

Sorry, I meant 'CRAB', 'CRAS', or whatever.

I guess you're playing with DebugSlic=Yes. I suspect the error message was about 'CRA_PiracyTest', which is Locutus's piracy handler. It means there's a bug there and he should have a look at it.

You can get the game to run by setting DebugSlic=No, but this won't fix the value out of bounds error.

Comment

Aqtaca it would be interesting to know which Cradle setup you use, but I guess it is the Ultra Gigantic Map setup, usually on Ultra Gigantic Maps I got huge continents with huge bunchs of mountains. To know the exact mod setup we could know the correct prefix of the file that has to be edited.

-Martin
                    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Yeah. that's right, Martin- it's Ultra-Gigantic- Cradle 1.32
                      i always take the largest map there is in every strategy game. Why should it cause problems?

It suprises me i'm the only one with the symptoms...
                      GLORY TO THE MANY
                      SLAVA MNOGIMA

Comment

Well, in that case you should make the changes in CRAB_Const.txt in order for my suggestions to work...

Comment

Originally posted by Aqtaca
                          Yeah. that's right, Martin- it's Ultra-Gigantic- Cradle 1.32
                          i always take the largest map there is in every strategy game. Why should it cause problems?

It suprises me i'm the only one with the symptoms...
                          Actual you aren't the only one with these symptoms I also got maps with huge bunchs of mountains and without any hills with the Apolyton Pack ultra Gigantic map setup. Afterwards I changed the map settings more Wet tile for example and maybe with some other sliders I got better Ultra Gigantic maps. The problem lies in the map.txt for the ultra gigantic map setup. The original map.txt does only support smaller maps. It needs to be modified if you want to use bigger maps. Believe me the current ultra gigantic map generator produces good maps in comparision to the ones that produce the default one with this map size. Of course the quality of such huge maps could be improved some some modifications of CRAB_map.txt should do the fix. The only problem is what are the particular modifications.

-Martin
                          Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Working...
                          X