Rethinking disasters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rethinking disasters

You might remember that idea I had not too long ago: when your empire got too big, it would split into bloody civil war.

Well, I now admit that I was wrong. Its a bad idea.

I've been involved in a long war. The Macidonians (evil treatybreakers that they were) were driven from the seas after much effort. Their island was taken, their cities destroyed, my rule cast over them.

To the east, the Babalonians have been driven back. My abolitionists were freeing slaves, my armys ready to cross the boarder. Finally, I took a key choke city and gave it to my longtime allies, the Egyptians, in exchange for a trade agreement. The babalonians are checked, the egyptians in my back pocket.

The empire is at peace. I've dropped the readyness of the armies, raised the wages, dropped the work week, and am instituting civic projects all over the empire.

Just what I would need right now is for half the cities to go over to the Rebels. And I can think of ABSOLUTLY nothing I would like less than to HAVE TO TAKE THOSE CITIES ALL OVER AGAIN. Yeah, I fought over mountain ranges and across seas. The last thing I want to do is repeat the process a second time.

So it was a dumb idea - I see that now.

However, I still think that the possibiltiy is there of combining your most angry enemies into bigger enemies as you pull ahead - a NATO sort of thing. That would unify their research and keep them viable in the game as your empire takes shape.

Just my two cents.
    Bluevoss-

I still like the idea of civil war...but not just because of empire size. I think that it should be tied to happines. To an extent it already is, IIRC in CTP1 if a city was to unhappy it would become a barbarian city. I've never seen this happen in CTP2, I haven't let my people get pissed enough I guess.
    Anyway, I think that if a large city is unhappy enough it should have a chance of breaking away from the original Civ, and another percent chance of bringing some of the closest cities with it. Thus creating a brand new civ(not just barbarian). This would be a fairly good model of a civil war IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by centrifuge
      I still like the idea of civil war...but not just because of empire size. I think that it should be tied to happines. To an extent it already is, IIRC in CTP1 if a city was to unhappy it would become a barbarian city. I've never seen this happen in CTP2, I haven't let my people get pissed enough I guess.
      You guessed right in an unmodded game the revolution level is a happiness of 60. I think Wes and Dave increased it to 65. And yes if your happiness drops under this level your city will become Barbarian.

Originally posted by centrifuge
      Anyway, I think that if a large city is unhappy enough it should have a chance of breaking away from the original Civ, and another percent chance of bringing some of the closest cities with it. Thus creating a brand new civ(not just barbarian). This would be a fairly good model of a civil war IMHO.
      Actual the new Civ creation feature is already in CTP1 and CTP2 just set MaxPlayers in userprofile.txt higher than NumPlayers and these cities will form new Civs.

So in order to respond to the initial post the in two parts splitting feature is already in, if you go to much over the city limit than you have a huge problem.

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Excellant Martin, Thanks for the info.

Comment

yes why can't it be one cive all your city brake away to join
          "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
          The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
          Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

I still like the idea of one city revolting influence some too. Maybe a minus 4-10 penalty in the neighbor cities.
            It isnt random and it is the player fault (he left the first city rvolt didnt he).
            "Kill a man and you are a murder.
            Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
            Kill all and you are a God!"
            -Jean Rostand

Comment

could make the recapture of a revolting city harder if they have 3 or 4
              "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson

Comment

I would agree on this idea - It seems that it might make people a little more reluctant to have thier entire empire poised on riot. In fact, if you couple this to a random event that drops (for a turn) all city morale by 1-4 points, you would really have an interesting game.
                Bluevoss-

Comment

Do you guys know how to implement this? I'd do it myself, but well, at present I'm quite handicapped with SLIC

Comment

your handicapped at SLIC well I am handicapped with my exams at the moment and my pic modifier program I am writing but after I get rid of all that burden on the 10 of next month I may be able to give it a shot

Comment

Working...
                    X