Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 3 mod for CtP 2?

Locutus, Dale, WesW and the others.

I got Civ 3, and love the game, the two patches basically fixed my complaints with it. However, recently I've got a very strong wish to play CtP again. I don't think that CtP is any "better" or "worse" than Civ 3, there are things that make those different games, pretty much - PW, stealth units, future, completely different combat system.

Of the two CtPs, I generally prefer CtP 2 - a cleaner interface, a bit less bugs, and more balanced. Of course, I can only play the game with one of the mods here at Apolyton.

But now, that I played anohter bit of CtP, I really missed some of Civ 3 stuff - as much as I miss the unconventional units in Civ 3. Namely, I miss culture and strategic resources.

I have not taken the time to learn SLIC, though, I can program and it shouldn't be too hard. What I want to say is that I don't know how much is it possible to do through SLIC, but I'm almost completely sure that culture can be implemented there - give certain buildings certain points, and have them accumulate, and so on.

A question to you SLIC masters, is it theoretically possible to implement something similar to luxury and/or strategic resources in Civ 3 into CtP 2 using SLIC? I hope some of the ideas are possible, but here I got strong doubts.

So, is anyone more or less interested in adding a Civ 3 mod to CtP 2?
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Its been discussed. The major problem is getting the AI up to Civ3 standard.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Re: Civ 3 mod for CtP 2?

This was tried befor you just need to find someone experienced and interested on actually make all the modwork (Quite a lot). Not to mention convert the civ3 flcs (we got those already) to sprite. All text files and slic work.
      And yet being tied to civ3 standard not being able to implement new ideas(modders are usuall too creative to be so tied).

Originally posted by Solver
      A question to you SLIC masters, is it theoretically possible to implement something similar to luxury and/or strategic resources in Civ 3 into CtP 2 using SLIC? I hope some of the ideas are possible, but here I got strong doubts.
      This is my dream. I will make some reseach on it.
      Yet, if any slicer become intersted i am voluntary to the texts work
      "Kill a man and you are a murder.
      Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
      Kill all and you are a God!"
      -Jean Rostand

Comment

Wombat, it's not my belief that the AI can be made that high and that it's actually necessary, for Civ 3 is different somewhat. What we would need is getting the AI some routines to actually give Shrines, Academies and such higher BUILD_VALUE so that the AI would build it even if there's no immediate need for those facilities.

Now, I do hope that this thread will bring some modders to the place. Pedrunn, why do you see is at we have to convert those flics? It's not that Civ 3 units need to be there, moreover, they are pretty diferently presented, for CtP series units are bigger and maybe a more detailed animation - not as smooth, though.

As for strategic resources, this is where I can see trouble, for actually we then have to define certain tiles, randomly determined, and give them flags: LUXURY_RESOURCE_INCENSE or STRATEGIC_RESOURCE_OIL, but there also needs to be a graphic representation of those. Hm.

I plan to get back to CtP stuff shortly, and it would be good to see the Civ 3 mod, I guess it could addict more people to CtP 2. There are quite a few people (damn, take a look at Civ 3 general section) that are quite unhappy with Civ 3, mainly due to the combat system, but like, however, the concepts of natural resources and culture... a perfect choice then would be CtP 2.

Theoretically, there's another thing that it would be nice to have in CtP 2, but I know that isn't possible, no matter how good you know SLIC... I mean many-to-one and one-to-many proposals, like i give you 250 gold, this tech and my map for this tech. But once again, that is not something that could be made.

Finally, I disagree with this:
        (modders are usuall too creative to be so tied).

Modders also want to improve the game, and, putting some ideas from Civ 3 into CtP 2 would certainly benefit the gameplay.

Comment

Now, I do hope that this thread will bring some modders to the place
          Some more, you mean

Strategic resources is implementable, Peter and I looked into it in detail a while ago, and decided if the AI can be taught to need and use them, it can be done.
          Culture is more difficult. The theory can be done, sure. Add up the buildings, keep a running total. In practice, there would be no way to see the results of the culture, and no way to see what is happening with any of the cities. A whole new interface and access to it is beyond our abilities.
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
            Strategic resources is implementable, Peter and I looked into it in detail a while ago, and decided if the AI can be taught to need and use them, it can be done.
            I always thought it could be possible.
            But how it will work on?
            I always thought it was better the fact of having just a trade route of a certain good a prereq to build a unit/building better than really giving values to it (Eg 5 tons of wood for ships of lines, 7 tons of iron for troopships, etc).
            And as i see this is the only way to implement into CTP2. But will became less complex and easier t the AI.
            Peter could you give some info about implementing Strategic resources. I do whatever it takes to implement it.
            -Jean Rostand

Comment

But how it will work?
              As in Civ3. If you have the right good, you can build the units. If not, you can't.
              The trade would probably have to be done through messageboxes, because there is very little SLIC access to the current trade system.

Comment

But how will be possible to find and buy a certain good? Since it ctp2 we can only sell.
                -Jean Rostand

Comment

I'm not sure that it's possible to implement Strategic resources in CTP2 but I think it is. However, it would take a lot of work.

First of all, we gotta get clear on what we're trying to do. As I recall, it was going to work like this:

There is a set of strategic resources {bronze, iron, rubber, oil, ...}. These resources limit the type of unit the player can build, e.g., you can't build tanks until you have iron, rubber, and oil.

The resources become visible on the map when you get certain advances, e.g., when the player obtains ADVANCE_IRON_WORKING he'll be able to see some iron deposits in his city's radii. It would also be nice to seed some iron deposits around the whole map that will only become visible when they enter a unit's vision range, but I'm not sure if this will work out.

One problem is that if these things show up as trade goods, I think they'll automatically turn up in the trade system. But it's not just preferable but IMO necessary to incorporate them into the diplomacy system. (You have surplus iron and those pesky Sumerians don't; offer them some iron provided they sign a peace treaty. Stuff like that.) The trade system is basically unexposed and there are very few SLIC functions that deal with trade. Maybe Martin knows how to add these special resource icons without having them show up in the trade system.

But anyway, that's about as far as we got: as I recall, we had some code that would make some resources become visible when the player obtained the relevent advance. If you want to proceed, the question is "What do you do with the resources once you've discovered them?" Remember this was before Civ3 was released, later there were complaints about how strategic resources had been implemented there, so we don't have to copy them.

As Wombat said, the thing that put the project on the shelf was the fact that we couldn't get the AI to deal with these resources: at the time we didn't know how to do AI-AI diplomacy. We can do this now but it's difficult. And whenever you put a system into the game that allows a Human player to make choices, things get complicated. So although I think it is possible to use the diplomacy system to let players trade strategic resources, writing the response logic would probably require an incredible amount of programming.

Comment

Still, though, can we try to figure something out?

I'm not sure yet whether there really is a way to hide certain resources... I believe this is what we need to do first, diplomacy then. Also, strategic resources should be a bit more rare than trade goods, I think. Yes, by the way, is there a SLIC function to see whether city x has a road connection to city y? This is needed to keep the resource distribution as in Civ 3, so that roads would be given again more importance.

Comment

Yes, by the way, is there a SLIC function to see whether city x has a road connection to city y?
                      Nope, and I think it would be very CPU intensive to implement this Civ3 feature. (BTW, I think they got it from Imperialism2, another innovative but unsuccessful game.)

Comment

Odd... I don't think the strategic resource system slows Civ 3 down much.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                          Odd... I don't think the strategic resource system slows Civ 3 down much.

You're kidding right? Ever tried running Civ3 on a P200? It doesn't run, it crawls... CtP2 runs smoothly on a P133... I'm sure this is more than just strategic resources but it helps...
                          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I must disagree here. I've been running CtP on a 166 machine... 5-7 minutes between turns. I got a two years old machine at home, and Civ 3 runs extremely well at it - no slowdowns. I play with 8 civs, though, 16 civs was terrible. CtP 2 runs very fast, too, though.

Comment

From my experience, CTP2 and Civ3 run at about the same speed, as long as it isn't a huge map with 16 civs, those turns just take far to long on Civ3, I have yet to try CTP2 with more than 8 civs, so I can't make a direct comparison. I think that it is an excellent Idea to try to incorporate some(not all) of Civ3's attributes into CTP2

Comment

Working...
                              X