No announcement yet.

World At War! V1.0 BETA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to hear it's a bit of a challange. Told you the AI knew how to attack.

I'm working on the 1.02 update, and have a heap of bug fixes. One I found that impacts the game pretty badly is:
    - Early Tank currently expires with Electronic warfare. It should be Motorised warfare. If anyone wants to fix it, in units.txt go to UNIT_EARLY_TANK_WAW and change ObsoleteAdvance ADVANCE_MOTOR_WAR_WAW.

To whoever mentioned the error for Propeganda:
    - Read the readme.txt. It's a known bug.

Year dates:
    - I mentioned in the readme.txt to click on the date field to turn it to Turns. However, I found a SLIC event to automatically change it.

Rouge units:
    - I'd already noticed that, and have put in a catch for it.

EDIT:
    I've updated the download link. The so 'n so's at 0catch deleted my site. Download can be done here: http://ctpmodmakers.0catch.com/Dale/index.html

Comment

Hi Dale:

Here is my setup:

I'm playing on "Hard" with 10 civs on a huge map with a lot of ocean, islands. I'm on turn 90 AD.

1) The AI develops its land and infrastructure extremely well. The civs close to me on land have attacked me ruthlessly.

2) However, I noticed several things:

* The AI usually only defends its cities with a couple of weak units. Repeatedly, I would attack a 14 size city only to find it being defended by two missiles! These are very weak at defense. I wiped out two civs on my continent very easily, even though they should have had very strong defenses (ie they had huge cities and were very advanced tech-wise).

* The AI often had several chemical missiles (which are offensive units) but didn't attack my units with it, even though I was clearly pillaging its city improvements and/or about to attack its cities.

* At sea, only one civ (the Irish) was using subs. All other civs seemd to be using transport ships. At least, this is all I saw. I don't know whether they were moving settlers/military units or not. But not a single civ built a battleship and no other civ (other than the Irish) built a sub. There were simply no battles at sea, even with civs I was at war with, and even when they had lots of coastal cities.

Questions:

1) Does the AI in CTP2 handle ocean/ships very well? Can it be adjusted to build offensive ships that it will use?

2) Can the AI be given priority to build the proper defensive units? It often uses missiles or planes with which to defend cities, and seems to spend too much time building city improvements and/or sending every single unit it builds to harass a city I own. By turn 50, the AI would often send a single arty to attack one of my cities that had 4 defenders. . .

I am very sure that if I had played at a higher difficulty level and with mostly land mass, I would have been battling for my life

But it would be nice to play in an "island setting" and know that the AI will give you a run for your money (ie using offensive subs, battleships and invasions)

Thanks for the work you've put into this mod

Comment

Hmm, not a lot of posts in this forum for the past couple of days. I guess everybody's busy playing something.

Great work, Dale!

I do have a suggestion though. I think you should consider putting Martin's Goods.slc into your mod. It's not that cpu intensive at all and it really adds a lot to the map.

Comment

Peter:

Thanks for the compliment. Means a lot coming from a xpert like yourself. As for Martin's goods.slc, it is in the pipeline. Most likely for the release. I want one more beta (1.02 that I'm working on) before I look at a release version.

As for unit build lists of the AI, I'm experimenting with a piece of SLIC that does this for the AI to try to better the AI's unit-army compositions in situations:

- Looks at current player (CP) versus #1 military player (1MP).
          - If CP's number of military units / number of cities are less than 1MP's number of military units / cities then check composition of CP's offense/defense/ranged/sea/air categories.
          - If CP's offense/defense/ranged/sea/air ratios aren't approximately: 25%/30%/20%/15%/10% (eg. defense ratio is 25%)
          - Set new strategic state which only dictates BuildListSequenceElements with specific priorities (eg. 12000 for UNIT_BUILD_LIST_DEFENSE & 10500 for UNIT_BUILD_LIST_OFFENSE & others).

I'll see how it goes.

Comment

Okay, last night I was messing around with strategies.txt and unitbuildlists.txt (see AI ICS thread). Anyways, I believe I've got it all sorted out so the AI builds REAL defenders now, and not just a chem bomb to defend the city.

Also, I can't definitely say it yet as I haven't played side-by-side with the AI since making the change (I just let the turns automatically tick up to about 100 doing nothing) but I think the AI has doubled the amount of units it builds. After 100 turns I checked up on the AIs and they were building like this:

Defense: 30%
            Attack: 25%
            Ranged: 15%
            Air: 15%
            Sea: 10%
            Special: 5%

Each city had at least 2 artys, 2 riflemen, and a biplane. In addition to this, it had quite a few units running around exploring. Most AI's had over half the map uncovered.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
              Okay, last night I was messing around with strategies.txt and unitbuildlists.txt (see AI ICS thread). Anyways, I believe I've got it all sorted out so the AI builds REAL defenders now, and not just a chem bomb to defend the city.

Also, I can't definitely say it yet as I haven't played side-by-side with the AI since making the change (I just let the turns automatically tick up to about 100 doing nothing) but I think the AI has doubled the amount of units it builds. After 100 turns I checked up on the AIs and they were building like this:

Defense: 30%
              Attack: 25%
              Ranged: 15%
              Air: 15%
              Sea: 10%
              Special: 5%

Each city had at least 2 artys, 2 riflemen, and a biplane. In addition to this, it had quite a few units running around exploring. Most AI's had over half the map uncovered.
              Dale: Sounds like I'll have a much tougher battle next time

Comment

Stay tuned. I'll have a text files update tomorrow.

After playing V1.02, the AI appears to be building sensible units now. This is after playing around with the unitbuildlists. But that was only for 100 turns. Let's see how the rest of the game goes.

Oh, one other major change is I've doubled the science costs. This should halve the rate of advancement. I was consistently getting motorised warfare in the equivalent of 1925. Not the right timeing unfortunately. 10 years too early.

Comment

Working...
                X