How to become a modder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to become a modder?

If I want to become a modder, where do I get the docs about slic and what all the parameters mean in the TXT files in gamedata?

Thanks!

I have a Modder's Guide available at

Secure Professional Online File Sharing, Storage, Editing for professionals. We offer a fast yet easy way to deliver and receive any file size in the cloud. Begin receiving financial, tax, QuickBook, loan applications through your secure CUSTOMER UPLOAD page . Flexible Plans makes it cost effective for all businesses.

Login:hexagonia
    password:hextapul

The guide concentrates on making changes to the various .txt files as they relate to adding new units/advances/wonders/city improvements, plus it contains some AI tweaks. To boost the AI though, you need to concentrate on the following files - which means that you should take a look at those files and make the adjustments that you feel you want to make

risks.txt - (barbarian settings)
    Strategies.txt and goals.txt - (attack priorities)
    const.txt - (various in-game settings)
    DiffDb.txt - (difficulty settings for initial AI/Player setup and ongoing AI boosts)

The guide does not cover SLIC functions though.

I would suggest taking a look at the Mod files for Cradle and MedMod- and use them for a starting point to see what has been accomplished.

BTW, Cradle is available at that location too - it's worth the download. (but I am a bit biased)
    Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
    ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Or you could even look at Apolyton Pack. It's another take on how to MOD the files.

BTW, I'm not biased either am I?

ALSO, (afterthought) find a post by Locutus and go to his website. He's got a few docos on SLICing.

Comment

Silly me...

I forgot to mention the Apolyton Pack. Well worth the download too.

It's also available at my site too. It takes elements of both Cradle and MedMod and uses them for the default game - and makes it as it should of been released.

Hey Dale, for someone who has officiually retired from the Modding business, you sure are still around a lot

Here's hoping you will not disappear from these threads.

VisionV,
        If you need to post your work for testing, email me and I can put it on my site too - Apolyton seems to be slow about posting created files for CTP2.
        Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
        ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Hex:
          Who me? *looks around nervously* Maybe the CTP2 bug lingers a little. It's more that I don't have time at home to do any modding, but at work I got time to surf.

Besides, I just want to make sure that all the threads I'm in have reached a conclusion without any bugs.

Comment

Working...
          X