Changing Map Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Map Size

Hi, I'm been playing SMAC for a while and wanted a change, so i went looking for my Civ2 CD and couldn't find it, so I picked up CTP2... I was pretty disappointed until I added Freny and DiploMod, great work guys, that's how the game should have shipped!

Of course I was really excited about have 28 Civs running around beating on each other, and wanted to know if I could change the size the Gigiantic Map? I guess it's 240x240 now, but would like a bigger world to have some more time to develop before having to tussle...

Also is it possible to increase the distance your country's border forms from your cities? I always end up with a square or two of un-owned land in my country, esp. on the (previous) border of my recently conquered neighbor...

Thanks.
    <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by habitualuser (edited February 15, 2001).]</font>

After some digging around, I found where the Maps sizes are defined in Consts.txt, anyone know what the third number is??

-clip-

#
    # These map size settings must all be defined,
    # and in this order
    #
    MAP_SIZE_SMALL 26 52 2
    MAP_SIZE_MEDIUM 48 96 2
    MAP_SIZE_LARGE 64 128 2
    MAP_SIZE_GIGANTIC 70 140 2

-clip-

Still looking for where to change the size of my countries borders.

Comment

The third number is necessary but not important. Just make sure it is always 2 and you will be okay.
      Don,
      CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

Thanks, I figured if I left it alone I'd be ok

I found the other stuff also in Const.txt

-clip-

BORDER_INT_RADIUS 4
        BORDER_SQUARED_RADIUS 20

-clip-

With the second number being ((Border_Int_Rad + 1)^2)-5

The minus 5 i guess is for the 4 corners and the square the city is on.

Well back to urging the French and Mexicans to fight my war with the Scotch for me At least they'll be softened up by the time I raise my army and invade.

Thanks again.

Comment

Actually, the SquaredBorder isn't the formula you describe but is another indicator to determine which tiles exactly belong to the radius and which don't. I don't understand the why Activision uses both Border and SquaredBorder, but SquaredBorder determines the radius more accurately using Pythagoras. So if x^2 + y^2 < 20, then a tile is part of a radius (where x and y are relative coords to center of radius). So a tile with x = 3 and y = 4 has SquaredDistance of 3^2 + 4^2 = 9 + 16 = 25 and won't be part of the radius, but a tile with x = 3 and y = 3 has SquaredDistance of 3^2 + 3^2 = 9 + 9 = 18 and will be part of the radius (using the cheat menu you can see the coords of every tile). So using this value in Const.txt and some simple high school math you can determine very accurately how large exactly the city radius is/should be.
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

As I understand it all map sizes must be
            MAP_SIZE_SMALL 26 52 2
            MAP_SIZE_MEDIUM 48 96 2
            MAP_SIZE_LARGE 64 128 2
            MAP_SIZE_GIGANTIC 240 240 2 Instead of 70 140 2?

------------------

Comment

Working...
            X