CtP-Diplogames?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CtP-Diplogames?

I've been looking through some of the threads here for CtP version of diplogames.
    On the Civ2MP forum this genre is played on a small (but regular) basis. But yet in the CtP-MP forum with all these game threads I haven't found a single thread that comes close! Surely there are some CtP players who have tried this sort of game in CtP?

For more info, check the diplogame FAQ

http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum2/HTML/001270.html
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

You haven't looked hard enough - the game I was in recently (Semi-Accl) involved a lot of diplomacy, both on and off-forum.

Check out the threads for Demos II, and Dutcheese (if it is still active).

Of course, all the games eventually involve bloodshed. This is merely human nature - when you cannot get what you want peacefully, you use the sword. After all, that's what history is all about.

------------------
    "Pray for peace, prepare for war."
    Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
    ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Whoever said the pen is mightier then the sword never played CTP . Yes there is diplomacy is in CTP MP, and it's a very essential element but without tension their can be no diplomacy. And tension will almost always rise into bloodshed, and bloodshed is something CTP is very good at. In truth most of the real diplomacy occurs below eye level - AKA off the forum. Yes, alot of the diplomacy is about how to kick someone ass. At least the diplomacy I like to get involved in , I guess that's not really diplomacy. You'll find scatterings of diplomacy, but it's only in full force when there is something on the line.

If your talking about peaceful games well your right they don't exist, at least I haven't seen them, and in truth they aren't my style.

Comment

The pen, or the keyboard, can be mightier than the sword!

Diplomacy does play a huge part in a game of CTP and can win, or lose, you the game. It really does not matter what you have but what other players think you have that counts. If people think you are strong they back off, too strong they gang up and too weak they eat you for breakfast.

Most of the real gut's of it go on off the BB as secrecy, duplicity and amorality are essentials to success any in MP game. It does not alter that at the end you have to have the killing power to knock out your 'friends'.
        “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
        - Anon

Comment

Maybe I should have emphasized the role playing aspect a bit more. That is, roleplaying as in acting out a play, not RPG, with the actors making up the script as they go along. It's a lot of fun for people wanting to read about it

This doesn't mean Diplogamers are a polite and peaceful bunch, far from it. A lot of scheming goes on behind the scenes (of course), but we also state our 'diplomatic' version in public. And with diplomacy I mean people co-operating to create powerblocks/alliances/isolating (a) powerful player(s). In a diplogame no player will ever dominate the game, other players will always try to create a balance of power. Everyone can play along in this sort of game as words can speak as loud as action so the little civs also have a role to play.

For example: In last year's big diplogame there was a rough balance of power in three blocks which lasted till the end of the game with an ending you won't believe!....

Read it here:

Tales from the Diplomatic Front II (in 3D-Dolby Stereo) http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum2/HTML/000623.html
          The biggest diplogame ever including weekly updated maps. This game had everything, if only all diplogames could be this good! Also check: http://home.worldonline.nl/~thomas for an offline version in pdf. Warning:complete set is almost 200 pages
          Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

As I said, refer to Demosthenes Semi Accl, Dutcheese and the Semi-Accl game that recently came to an end...

...and the Love Conquers game will have the same approach, as St Jon specifically set up that game with players who do a lot of 'role-playing'.

------------------
            "Pray for peace, prepare for war."
            Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
            ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

You really should look at the Semi-Acc Thread, if it is still on the Server, as that was the very best in terms of consistant RP that I have encountered.

We all play for fun, and for me a very great deal of the fun comes from being the benevolent loving Saint, but you still can only have one winner! Diplomacy is a tool and it can genuinly win you a game, it did me, but only if you get it just right! If you don't it will get you flattened, it has me, because in a relativly small community people will not fall for the same trick twice.

A great deal is dependent on the people in any game having a sense of humour and some imagination. Turn Sent====> messages are very boring but this maybe the norm in CTP PBEM Games but it is far from the rule!
              “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
              - Anon

Comment

As new to PBEM games I must say (write):

Every morning (and most afternoons) I look forward to check my E-mail - just to see if a turn is waiting for me.

It's a lot more challeging than playing against AIs (even when I start out with 18 civs and a max of 24 civs on super-huge maps).

Special I love to read the games comments even for games, that I do not participate in.

I love that diplomacy are working - only under influence of human behavior and (a)moral.

Besides - my english are still getting better though I still make lots of errors and misspelling.

------------------
                Woodstock was here!
                First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Well, I think that Dutchesse in early stage was the greatest diplo, and roleplay CTP PBEM game. Specially when my country with France started Norwich Crisis. There was great fun, and even one player created the newspaper, but in finished after Norwich Conflict was resolved and after... I dont know why... But I think we will change because Dutchesse relaunched again
                  "We, in Poland, dont know the idea of peace at any price. There is only one thing in life of people, nations, and countries that is priceless. This thing is honor!" - Jozef Beck, Polish Foreign Minister. 5 V 1939

Comment

Working...
                  X