• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bug:

Granaries take zero shields to build
    City Walls take zero shields to build

Solutions:
    If no one has take advantage of this bug, remove the Improve.txt from scen0000.

If someone has all players should take advantage of bug.

Why it's a way of cheating:
    You can change the Production costs of any improvement during your turn by changing value in text files in any PBEM game.

Comment

So what you're saying is that people can cheat at any time using these files - how very convenient... :-(

Another thing - are we stuck with the super speed transport and knight as it's going to screw up the spirit of the game after the 1st turn or two if we get to keep them (call me a masochist, but I kinda like the uncertainty of not knowing what's beyond my borders and having to explore them... Perhaps we could all agree to get those units to commit seppuku or something...?

Caligula of the Romans shall triumph by his own divine ability!

Rgds,

MOBIUS
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I run DC in my main directory so I had to pay full price for Granaries in this and Burchill's game. This has obviously given everyone running the scenario a tremendous advantage.

Question - How can I retrospectively benefit?
        Possibly how can I just even as everyone else will be blessed with titanic amounts of cash an loads of improvements whereas I'm broke?

Comment

Turn 1 ==> Jon

I see what you mean. Has anyone done this already? Jon, you seem to have a lot of construction completed messages.

Recommendations everybody? I don't understand this computer jargon, all I know is that granaries and city walls are taking just one turn to build.
          Cariad,
          Demosthenes.
          _____
          www.polthought.freeserve.co.uk

Comment

In regards to the granary/wall issue, it's only the first player who has the opportunity of buying city walls or granaries. I had that problem when starting up the team game. Sophix made a change in the improve.txt file - all you need to do is enter the correct cost for the granaries and walls - Offhand, I think it was 540. If nobody caught it, then agree not to do it and continue on.

As for cheating, there are lots of ways to do that... Just by playing your turn several times if you are not happy with the results or to explore new territory is a form of cheating. What everyone needs to do is to agree not to do such things, and use the files and settings as they were set up.
            Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
            ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Ok guys, and be honest, who has taken advantage of this? I played my turn before reading the posts, so my next turn will mean that I have granaries. I can replay my turn if needs be.

I take it that Jon has rush bought full price granaries.

If someone tells me exactly what to do, then I will change my file, but I'm gonna need EXPLICIT instructions, Jon and Shavlor should be well aware that my computer skills leave alot to be desired!

Bear in mind that we do have the option of a restart, as it is only turn 1, especially if some have already taken advantage. But I'm gonna need a response guys, whatever it is, and the sooner the better.

Cheers.
              Cariad,
              Demosthenes.
              _____

Comment

Jon,

Why don't you just sell them off?

Sure you'll make half the cash, but you'll have to start over and have all your builds delayed by a turn...

OR - start again, I know there's at least two things I wish I'd done differently on turn 0... ;-)

I'm assuming this just applies to you as per the Hexagonian mail, cos I didn't get any cheap builds...

Rgds,

MOBIUS

Comment

If you will starting new game , I accept it.

[This message has been edited by Krzysztof (edited March 22, 2000).]

Comment

Restarting may be the best solution.

Jon if you rush bought the Improvements here is a solution double the values of granaries and city walls and sell them off.

The best solution is to have everyone who built a granary or city wall sell them off, with the mod still implemented they will get zero gold. They will only lose one turn of production.

Comment

Turn 1 to Rick

As it seems that nobody is better or worse off in this game then I vote to let it continue - peachy land hehehe. I only R/B Temples so I've not lost out and I gather from Sophix that the files have been swapped so there should no further hassle.

Comment

I really don't mind. There's pro's and cons about my territory, but that's by the by.

As I said, I can replay my turn so that I don't get the granary advantage (I'm not keen on the idea of messing with my flies, oops, files). FYI I couldn't get granaries or city walls in one turn during turn 0. Strange.

Restarting does mean that the turn order would be better, if I could get it right this time. At the end of the day, I really don't mind. If someone can tell me exactly how to rectify the problem (in English) then we'll carry on. If it's gonna be too much of a headache, then we'll start again.
                        Cariad,
                        Demosthenes.
                        _____

Comment

I'm wholly against a restart!!

Your's is the first PBEM where I've not either found myself in the middle of a Swamp, at the North Pole or in the Sahara.

I love this sacred Inca land and will defend it's fertile fields and hard working peasant folk against any who would think to take it from me.

Chief Jon

Comment

Well it sounds like NO ONE got free stuff after all...

Reminds me of an ancient Roman metaphor "A storm in a cup of Mead" or something like that!

Well both the Transport and the Knight are still acting as though they're chasing a harem of vestal virgins in a flying saucer! They are pleased to report green and verdant lands to the south and west!

Veni Vidi Vici!

Caligula

Emperor of Rome!

Turn 1 2 K

Comment

turn1 --> Sophix Good luck !!!

Comment

Turn to Demos earlier today.

This really is a big world.

Comment

Working...
                                X