Looking for PBEM Newbie faq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for PBEM Newbie faq

I'm going to be playing in my first C:CTP PBEM here shortly. Iwas wondering if there is a newbie faq out there somewhere. I'm new to PBEM in general but I'm very familiar with Civ.

Thanks,
    Tyr
    -Tyr
    To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.
    George Washington, Speech to both Houses of Congress, Jan. 8, 1790.
    Bartlett's Familiar Quotations

Check out the CTP:Help threads, they may be of some use. Do you have patch 1.2 and Hack updates? If not you will need to install them.

Any other problems, post a new thread in the CTP:Help section.

:-)

Comment

Well, I posted this in the Help Forum as well and have yet to get any response there at all. If no forum faq exists it looks like I'll have to build my own! Here are some of the questions that I have (some of which have already been answered but I'm building a faq here so bear with me) as well as some really basic questions that people even less experienced than I might have.
      Since I can't know all of the questions I should be asking I want to enlist the help of all you fine people to build this faq.

Thanks,
      Tyr

Q: What is PBEM?
      A: PBEM stands for Play by e-mail, a form of multiplayer game where each player submits his moves by email. In C:CTP the entire game file is rotated through the players by email, with each player taking thier turn in order. How large does that file tend to get?

Q: How do I start a PBEM game?
      A: If this is your first time playing PBEM your best bet is probably to post a request for a game or look for announcements of games starting up in the Apolyton Civ:CTP Multiplaying forum. (Where else might someone look?)

If you want to start your own game I would suggest playing in a few started by others first to get a feel of how they operate before you try it yourself.

Q: How long does a PBEM game usually take to play out?
      A: I don't know but I suspect that it has something to do with how many people are playing, what quickstart options were used to set up the game and how often the players can get to thier machines to play out thier turns. From what I hear a turn usually takes from 1 to 3 days to complete so a full game could reasonably take years?

Q: What happens if one person drops out?
      A: ????

Q: What precautions are in place to prevent people from cheating, ie replaying thier turn, hacking the game file to find info about the opponents position, other things I don't know about?

Q: Can I play in more than one PBEM at a time?
      A: I believe the answer to this is yes.

Q: What are the 'QuickStart' options and how do they affect gameplay?

Q: What patches or othe files should I have installed before I try to play in a PBEM?
      A: The 1.2 patch and the 1.21 hack at the least.

Q: Can you play PBEM using one of the scenarios?

Q: What else should I know before I start a
      PBEM game?

Well, that's my start. I'd appreciate any comments, corrections, clarifications or additions. Once I think I've got a decent FAQ put together I'll post on a web site in PDF format.

Thanks All!

------------------
      -Tyr
      http://www.bartleby.com/99/281.html

[This message has been edited by Tyrannus (edited January 31, 2000).]
      [This message has been edited by Tyrannus (edited January 31, 2000).]
      -Tyr
      Bartlett's Familiar Quotations

Comment

Let's see if I can help.

Q: What happens if one person drops out?
        A: Get somebody to take their place. There are plenty of would be gamers out there, just remember not to send the gamefile to the email address on it, as you cannot change it, at least, not that I know of.

Q: What precautions are in place to prevent people from cheating, ie replaying thier turn, hacking the game file to find info about the opponents position, other things I don't know about?
        A: Cheat mode is deactivated. Trust is used to stop people replaying their turn, playing another person's turn and hacking into the game.

Q: Can I play in more than one PBEM at a time?
        A: Yes, as many as you can handle. However, not all configurations match. If you've put in all the mods and patches you can find (as I once did) you'll soon find that your email games will become incompatible. Sometimes less is more.

Q: What are the 'QuickStart' options and how do they affect gameplay?
        A: Quickstart options can be things like scenarios. You start the game with 5 super settlers that if they build a city before turn 4 is automatically a size 3 etc. Super settlers, super transports, and super knights, all with advanced range, but transports and knights automatically disband after turn 4. At least, this is what I think.

Q: Can you play PBEM using one of the scenarios?
        A: Yes. It is best to play using a scenario, because in the early turns of a normal game, you are quite often not doing much apart from waiting for your only city to build units or grow, etc. PBEM means that this process takes weeks. Weeks of waiting. Scenarios make the 'game' start quicker. Instead of waiting for your only city to grow to size two and then spend 2000 years building a settler, the scenario may mean that they your city(s) start at size three, etc.

Q: What else should I know before I start a
        PBEM game?
        A: Anything else you need to know you will pick up, I'm afraid I'm not much help on this one!

Comment

Working...
        X