Silly questions about servers.dat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly questions about servers.dat...

I want to (eventually) add servers.dat to the file database but before I can do that some info would be useful:

Who made it? Is the CtP1 version identical to/compatible with the CtP2 version? Can the current version be used until the end of time or will it eventually go corrupt as well? (How long until it goes corrupt?) Does it have a version number of some sort? Is there anything else about it that would be useful/interesting to know?
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

This file is for every CtP distribution, but some people have it wrong, for some reason. How to see? Server search goes forever.

Activision made it .

I *think* it's compatible with CtP 2, but who knows. No version numbers, AFAIK.

So basically, the file is just another gamefile, that often is wrong for people.

I'm sure someone else can tell you more.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

And it is so odd to me, aal the games I have on my pc..and this one file needs constant replacing..VERY ODD INDEED!

I wonder what causes this???

Troll
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Hmm? I've only replaced the file once.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
          Hmm? I've only replaced the file once.
          BUT Solver, I never see you online??..or at least not listed as Solver??..I play almost everyday online..maybe thats one reason??

Troll

Comment

What is servers.dat?

The servers.dat file is used by both CTP and CTP2 to connect to the game servers ariound the world, it is the same file. They are the ip addresses of the game servers. When you connect to the server system using the game, it picks up a listing of current good servers and adds new ones to the dat file. The problem with the servers.dat file included on the game cd is the two servers listed, activision.us1 and activision.uk, are no longer active or do not respond with updated server listings. The game will keep looking for those servers and will not update until it connects to a server listed in the dat. So, players must get a server.dat file from a player who has conected recently so that there is at least one active server in the dat file.

Hope that answers your question.
            "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

I do not play online, actually, but sometimes I just connect to the server for a few minutes... maybe I'll give online play a try somewhen.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                I do not play online, actually, but sometimes I just connect to the server for a few minutes... maybe I'll give online play a try somewhen.

Well, I'm a good "Whooping Boy". U can start with me, I easily die off!!

Troll

Comment

No, you would kill me, for sure . While I'm nothing too bad at other Civ games, I suck at CtP more than you could ever imagine .

Comment

Re: What is servers.dat?

Thanks for your explanations all, but especially Swissy. I understood in large outlines what it was/did but this explanation was very useful.

Originally posted by Swissy
                    So, players must get a server.dat file from a player who has conected recently so that there is at least one active server in the dat file.
                    Okay, key question here: if I take a servers.dat file that works fine today and put it in the database, will this file still work okay a few months from now? In other words, how long do you estimate until all servers currently in servers.dat have disappeared? A few weeks? Months? Years? Never?

Comment

Re: Re: What is servers.dat?

Originally posted by Locutus
                      Thanks for your explanations all, but especially Swissy. I understood in large outlines what it was/did but this explanation was very useful.

Okay, key question here: if I take a servers.dat file that works fine today and put it in the database, will this file still work okay a few months from now? In other words, how long do you estimate until all servers currently in servers.dat have disappeared? A few weeks? Months? Years? Never?
                      Partner

I have noticed all the servers we play on, n1.alink.gamepoint out of holland, gamesrv and california12, both from activision and games.igateway.net all are the only ones we have been playing on for over a year.

If that helps..which I hope it does!!

Troll

Comment

Troll is right, those servers have been mostly active the last six months. It is really a shot in the dark, since Activision has orphaned the games they have cut back on game servers.
                        "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

Okay, thanks guys...

Comment

troll, swissy, could one of you post your server.dat file?

I've downloaded others from here before, but I've never been able to connect to a server yet.
                            I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

`Try that Flame
                              Attached Files
                              “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                              Or do we?

Comment

Working...
                              X