No announcement yet.

Ctp Pbem Rankings 12th April 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You don't know jack about what I know! That would be the best way to say it JP.

Ok Ok a test Jp what am I thinking right now?
    Ok mister esp come on tell me

What an idiot Nice try Jp

Hey where are all your links to your information JP?
    You just keep expanding on that reputation of yours don't you
    Last edited by blackice; July 30, 2002, 19:13.
    “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
    Or do we?

Comment

• JPPW, (off topic)

Are you on the ICC (Internet Chess Club)? I have a standard rating of 1835 there as "quinns". Now you now how bad I really am! ( I am pleased with a "B" rating though ). If you are nearly a master, you must be rated 2100 or better. That's damn good. The best I did was play in the Pacific Open (I think that was it) in Pasadena, CA in 1985 or something like that. Anyway, the best players there were Larry Christianson and Ivanov. I was rated 1537 at the time and got put into the OPEN division with Christianson and Ivanov .... shi**!! I was the lowest rated player in the open division -- my claim to fame I gave a 2050 player a run for his money though. He was sweating bad, but then outplayed me in his last 7 moves with only 30 seconds remaining on his clock for those moves!!! DAMN!

Comment

• I am amazed how folks can take a topic off the beaten path, and not get banned, lets FOCUS on the topic, I mean, I got banned and dont want anyone else too either!!

Lets discuss Chess in the OT or MP Cafe CTP version.
        Now, back to the rankings issue please.

Troll
        Attached Files
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• You are no fun at all Troll. Ummm... What exactly was the topic again?

Comment

• Good job quinn Quite impressive. Oh and BTW congrats on the new child! I wish the best for you and yours and a very healthy baby

I think we are getting too old for kids...na more the merrier
            “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
            Or do we?

Comment

• Originally posted by blackice
              Your kind of person Kralj seems so.
              Not only do you lose bad but you quit every game we were in. In fact you quit every game you were losing
              You beat me in ONE game LAST year, because I trusted your LIES, true.
              But it was YOU who "quit every game we were in"! I'm still playing all those games and enjoy in them.
              Obviously your standard misleading strategy.

If you realy wish to learn something abot ELO, go to the basics.

Basics in Chess Ratings

Comment

• Last edited by blackice; August 2, 2002, 03:36.
                Or do we?

Comment

• OFF TOPIC

Originally posted by quinns
                  JPPW, (off topic)
                  He was sweating bad, but then outplayed me in his last 7 moves with only 30 seconds remaining on his clock for those moves!!! DAMN!
                  You must've been in terrible time trouble yourself

... the best players there were Larry Christianson and Ivanov.
                  Nowadays, Christiansen is not very active although he just played a couple of tournaments in Asia. I like his style. I have a book of his in my collection: "Storming the barricades" have you read it? I recommend it; it is highly entertaining. I especially like his analysis on Kasparov vs Topalov (Wijk aan zee 1999)

The best I did was play in the Pacific Open (I think that was it) in Pasadena, CA in 1985 or something like that.
                  1985! I was playing in the under 10 division then

Are you on the ICC
                  No I'm not a member, but I hear it's a great place to play chess online. Perhaps, I'll look you up some day (when they're offering free membership and we'll play some blitz or bullet. The truth is I prefer OTB games

I have a standard rating of 1835 there as "quinns". Now you now how bad I really am!
                  Not too shabby!
                  "I'm an engineer. I make slides that people can't read. Sometimes I eat donuts." - Alice

Comment

• Originally posted by blackice
                    Good job quinn Quite impressive. Oh and BTW congrats on the new child! I wish the best for you and yours and a very healthy baby

I think we are getting too old for kids...na more the merrier
                    Thanks! Me? Too old for kids? NO WAY! I'm only 45! Groucho Marx was having kids at 70! "That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard."

Comment

• Re: OFF TOPIC

Originally posted by jpww
                      You must've been in terrible time trouble yourself
                      I had 30 minutes left!! That's what really made me upset with myself. I moved fast trying to force it ... STUPID!
                      Nowadays, Christiansen is not very active although he just played a couple of tournaments in Asia. I like his style. I have a book of his in my collection: "Storming the barricades" have you read it? I recommend it; it is highly entertaining. I especially like his analysis on Kasparov vs Topalov (Wijk aan zee 1999)
                      Never read it. But I should. I am basically a neophyte when it comes to Chess. I should read much more.

1985! I was playing in the under 10 division then
                      Just a babe! So much for your anonymity JPWW... You must be about 26 years old! And your bank account number is...?

No I'm not a member, but I hear it's a great place to play chess online. Perhaps, I'll look you up some day (when they're offering free membership and we'll play some blitz or bullet. The truth is I prefer OTB games
                      Not too shabby!
                      Thanks... but still pretty shabby though... I've been playing for about 35 years... and I still, pretty much, suck! If you like to play sometime though, I'd be happy to take a lesson from you!

Comment

• New & wanting a rating

I am new here and want to be a part of this. I really don't fully understand what I am reading sometimes, but I'll keep trying. Each time I read the instructions I have new questions, but you guys are doing fine, not complaining. It said in the Info Central posting to post here to get a rating and get to know ya'll (yes I am from Texas) better. Tell me what I need to do next, Please.

Ken

Comment

• Re: New & wanting a rating

Hi Ken.

1st this thread has been replaced with this one , so go there to check that out.

However, what you really need to is register your interest at The Recruitment Centre .

Good luck, and see you on the playing field.

Comment

• Just following Solver's suggestion to post here to
                            enter the rating system.
                            If it ain't broke, find a bigger hammer.

Comment

• checkMate, see my last post (directly above yours) for the location of the current PBEM rankings thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gavrushka
                                Everyone has a score, when a rated turn comes in every player has 10% taken from his score and added together, so with 3 players on 21 points each they each have 2.1 points taken off there scores, they now have 18.9 points, the 2.1 for each player is added together
                                2.1+2.1+2.1=6.3

And then the formula is applied to see who gets what..
                                if i got this right,
                                it means the longer the game runs the more your score is increased/diminished if the game is running good/bad for you. so over time your score converges in a certain direction. this would make it most efficient to drop out of a game if it starts going badly.

is this fair ?

okay, i know. constructive alternatives.
                                here is one. (or so i hope)
                                every player stakes the 10% of his actual score only when the game BEGINS. they get it right back at that point, cause the game just started and everyone is equal.
                                so you have to keep track of how many points which player anted in which game.
                                each time the calculation comes around, players get their score that is currently associated with this particular game decucted, recalculated and added to their rankings.

this way you won't have a cumulative effect if the game lasts longer .. if that is what you wish for.

also, you could weight the initial ante (10%) according to the importance of the game, just in case some are regarded more important than others.

oh, and the 9th turn racing wouldnt really be necessary cause the 9th difference would be counted only once and you can still console you that next 10th turn you'd be better off.
                                you wouldnt actually LOSE points again and again every 10th turn if those turns were always running bad for now.

one question too:

who has to do what to have the game counted towards your rating ?
                                does the the game host have to send the power graph to you each x9 turn.

btw, why x9 turn ? why not just take 10*x turns. turn 0 isnt really relevant is it ?
                                Last edited by Mathemagician; December 16, 2002, 14:00.
                                Baal: "You dare mock me ?"
                                O'Neill: "Baal, c'mon, you should know ... Of course I dare mock you."

Comment

Working...
                                X