No announcement yet.

Is Civ III slowing down CivCTP PBEM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Civ2 gave me the feel that I was just moving units around cause they needed to be moved. Civ3 was pretty much the same feel...

CTP wasnt that bad.

Depending on what Firaxis does in the next few months ; It looks like we might be witnessing the end of the Civ series.

Comment

1. Activision has a good record of patching their games. They just abandoned CTP2 once they corrected they bugs that made the game crash. Now I am not saying they fixed the gameplay, it took the modders to do that.

2. Infogrames is the publisher of Civ3. Any patches have to be authorized by them. As far as why the expected patch is not out yet, I think Infogrames is taking a hard look at what has happened. They are probably determining whether it is worth it to remain in the TBS computer game biz. I fear they will pull a Activision and depart from the civ scene. Then civ games will be dead (Infogrames owns the name Civillization, for uses on computer/console games).
      "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by Swissy
        I think Infogrames is taking a hard look at what has happened.
        Lets get things in prospective Civ3 is toping the best sellers list and has got mostly good reviews. Only diehard apolyton fans are complaining (and only a few of them). There will be a patch. there will be scenarios and there will be MP (and if we have to pay extra for it we will, and it will still be good value for money).

And so far I'm enjoying it. After one evening of play, it's not that buggy, not buggy at all.

Comment

Some time ago, I would have responded 'no'.
          There was a lot of evenement since the end of this summer.

Now I changed my mind !
          I noticed that players seems slower (even if broken 24h rules were not rare before CivIII arrival). And lot of people are leaving games.

It is hard now to find permanent replacement and no more new games are created ...

Is CivIII enough worthy to sacrifice CtP ?

Will CtP disappear ?

Are we a sort of declining dinosaurus ?

Zobo Ze Warrior
          --
          Your brain is your worst enemy!

Comment

Sadly, Civ3 is in reality SMAC1.5 set on Earth.

In so many ways it is a retrospective game when it should have been a great one. I like the Resourses feature but question the reality of one Iron Mine supplying an entire nation's armed forces. The lunacy of suddenly not requiring Iron to build Tanks beggars belief!

The AI is, again, rather SMAC like and you know all too quickly that negotiation is a non-starter with the Prussians much like it is with the Believers in SMAC.

It is a better written Game and, solo, it is harder than CtP; that is damnation by faint praise if ever I heard it!!!!!

PBEM is a wholly different issue as regardless of the frailties of the Game platform a human will always provide a tougher and more unpredictable opponent. MP, online or PBEM, will make Civ3 a much better gaming experience.

As for CtP2: That has got to be the biggest disgrace ever perpetrated by Activision. An abyssmal and under-developed Game released and then dumped for the few enthusiasts, who could be bothered, to pick up the pieces.

Jon
            “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
            - Anon

Comment

Civ3 all I have to say,

The very idea that a Stealth Aircraft cannot sink a Trime is absurd

Another issue I have is the corruption and how difficult it is to take a Computer players city

Oh did I mention airplanes? You cant shoot down AI aircraft.....

But the patches appeared to have fixed some of this. I will give firaxis the benfit of the doubt on fixing some of these issues. but there is much work to be done if Civ3 is going to live up to the hype.

Oh, did I mention corruption

Comment

Working...
              X