Is Civ III slowing down CivCTP PBEM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Civ III slowing down CivCTP PBEM?

It might be my imagination, but ever since Civ III was released in the States on 31-October all my CivCTP PBEM games have slowed down almost to a standstill. Are people hooked on Civ III instead?
    Yes
    45.45%
    No
    54.55%

The poll is expired.

No i think alot of factors are to blame.

Im doing more work.....so i send my turns out later. Civ 3 is out, that contributes to it.

But this is also usaully a slow time of the year anyway

Comment

I was just about to post the same thing. All my games have slowed down, not a single turn to play today, when I used to have at leat 2 or 3 each day.

I don't think Civ 3 is the direct cause as few outside the US have it untill friday, but there does seem to be a gradule slow down in the entusiaum levels in CTP PBEM.

It was bound to happen eventualy I suppose .

Comment

Well all the games I play are stalling with US and Canadian players.

But in 2 days it will be the UK's turn for Civ III (I'm not sure about the rest of Europe), let's see if things get worse.

Comment

Ya for about three days for me the game is crap don't buy it IMHO...

It is incomplete not very user friendly and there are better games out there like Pools of radiance etc...

So people play your turns it takes two seconds really lets go!!!!!

As important MODERATORS start nexting that may get some attention!!!!!

“The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
          Or do we?

Comment

I have not bought it. Ive played it, but I too thought it was wayyyyyy to incomplete. So Im waiting for these guys to realease a patch and MP.

Hey BI one good point.....I thought the AI was really good.

Comment

Civ3 is crap yet they play ctp

gawd..life is too rich sometimes

Comment

Yep...Pools of Piss looks pretty good.

GameSpot is the world's largest source for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita, Wii PC, 3DS, PSP, DS, video game news, reviews, previews, trailers, walkthroughs, and more.

Comment

Remember CTP2 Don.....

So many good reviews!!! Everybody was pumped. 1,000,000 copies were sold the first week

300,000 were returened the next

I have no doubt these reviewers are paid up.

Comment

I'll find out about Civ3 tomorrow when it gets released here in the UK.

Don and Saddam both have a point.

CTP2 was hyped up in the same way as Civ3 and was a major disappointment.

But then CTP is the most hated game on Apolyton. That is apart from those who post here. We got value for money out of the game despite it's flaws, so what’s wrong with everyone else?

I will make my own mind up about Civ3.

Edit: just to stay not OT, No PBEM turns to play today again.
                    Last edited by Fraze; November 15, 2001, 16:51.

Comment

Fraze Civ3 does resemble CTP2 in many ways. Its incomplete.... there are no scenarios and no MP. Its real buggy and the interface is extremely annoying. But the AI is the bright spot. They seem to be a large step up from Civ2...CTP etc etc. But they have lots of access to cheat mode.

Also consider yourself warned about Corruption. In most cases it takes 2/3 of your shields. Nothing helps it...its a bug (i think)

Comment

but the AI was the the worst thing about CTP2

Comment

Yes Max Pools had one of the worst game gliches ever... but ya know what Max they had a patch out in one week. Ya know what Max they have the second one in two weeks so tell me Max where are the patches for civ3? it's been three weeks of complaints where are the patches? Yup big difference one company supports it's products the other does not seem to care.

Max IMHO CTP is far superior to civ 2 start with the bugs and work backwards

Ya the ai was an improvement but as I said before I will not buy any games from them until they get it together, like where is the patch for CTP gliches? Why with all this practice at making almost the same dang game they still can not get it right?
                          “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                          Or do we?

Comment

Civ3 hasn't distracted my and as long as it doesn't have PBEM it won't distract me from my CTP PBEMs.

Comment

CTP2 is a very good game if you use Hex's or Wes's mods. Straight up though it sucks badly IMHO.

I agree about the hype, every civ game that has come out since civ2 has incredible amount of hype behind it but in reality it always falls a bit short. Its never quite as good as they make it out to be, now I'm finding games are like music. It comes down to personal taste. What turns my crank might not turn yours. Its very subjective.

I also agree with Frazer in that we have gotten our money's worth, pbem has its issues but it reallys has breathed some life into this game.

Yeah Faded, when i started playing civ3, I thought hell this is ctp2 with a civ2 feel. Especially the unit pathing, the thing that bugs the hell out of me, is no stacks or aleast unit grouping. Moving all those units, especially workers is just too much.

Sorry Ice, I'm sure Pools has its merits, I haven't even played the damn thing so I should shut the hell up. As far as the links I provided, i don't trust people posting opinions negative or positive on message boards nor do i trust gaming sites, magazines. Like Frazer I need to find out for myself. Sometimes this is difficult though. But i do have a network of friends with computers that I trade cd's with. But I will buy a game if I think its something that i would play alot.

I disagree with you Ice on ctp being superior than civ2, you must be smoking some good stuff Ctp1/2 has some great ideas and has/had a ton of potential but IMHO falls far short in atmosphere, fun, and it has far more bugs than civ2. Don't know where you got that, but gawd I have encountered far more bugs in ctp than civ2. There also is some great scenarios out there for civ2. Yes civ2 IMHO has alot of issues and is overhyped IMHO but so far IMHO it is still the best all around civ game out there. Hopefully SINCE CIV3 HAS ONLY BEEN OUT A COUPLE OF WEEKS, IF THAT, firaxis will soon add,improve and deal with issues and bugs.

btw.. you seem to be implying that activision made civ3, it is firaxis that made civ3. They have a little better, emphasis on little, track record at patching than activision.

Its really weird all these civ games, they all have some good ideas, better ways of doing certain things than the others. Yet like Ice says they can't seem to incorporate the goods things into one solid game.

Comment

Working...
                              X