Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from WIN98Se to WINXP Question

Ok

I am going to install WINXP with a fresh install due to..ugh..certain..ugh..well.."possible" unlicensed issues..POSSIBLE..

Ok..I now own a licensced OS..XP..ta-da!!

My question is this:

Will I still be able to play my current PBEM games..?

If so..will I be able to use my saves or just wait for the next turn to be sent?

I understand that a different file system is in use (WIN98SE=FAT32) & XP uses NTSF or something to that nature..

I am wondering so that I may prepare my partners to what is up!

I also got em a new Video Card..(slurp)

Santa Loves me..Oh yes he does!!

(Patiently awaiting answers...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz..patiently)

Peace

Grandpa Troll
    Attached Files
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

yes, yes, if you choose, pick one
    “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
    Or do we?

Comment

The only thing I have seen is that some players (me included) have to right click on the ctp executable and go to compatibility and set it for win98 compatibility mode. But I have heard that not everybody has that problem.

I also had the game lock up a few times, but that turned out to be an audigy sound card driver problem. Once I got a new one from creative it worked fine.
      If it ain't broke, find a bigger hammer.

Comment

I do only change to Win95/98 compatibility if the game don't make a new save-game file (that happens from time to time). Else I do not have any problems with CTP/WinXP.
        First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Well, so far so good.

I was allowed to use an option of FAT32 versus NTSF (IIRC??)

I chose that and all is working fairly well so far.

I hange up sometimes upon loading though

Strange, I chose new install..and it kept my old files on my "C" and installed this on my "D" which was partitioned.

When my pc starts up I have option of loading eiother xp or Windows...

I tried loading Windows 98 but it has some bugs...

I will keep at it

I am glad most seems ok..now to install my CTP!!

Peace

Grandpa Troll

Comment

Ok what you need to do now is run winxp repair. That will fix all the bugs, I would suggest ntfs next too.
            “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
            Or do we?

Comment

Originally posted by blackice
              Ok what you need to do now is run winxp repair. That will fix all the bugs, I would suggest ntfs next too.
              I am having 2 problems now

1 is screen freezes up occasionally when restarting or starting pc

the other is I am locked out of my device manager..something to the effect of mmc denied user access or doesnt exist or another reason

BUT..I can start in windows and it is there or start safe mode in xp and iot is no problem..

any suggestions?

I will try again to put disc in and hit the repair on disc..perhaps that will do..I tried a new install and still same..

Oh and by the way..

I played a game for a short while and tried to load save..yup.."no scenario found"

Peace

Will keep all posted

Grandpa Troll

Comment

Humm processor, ram, video card or Motherboard problem, or perifial device problem.

I always start with the ram, vid card, then remove card and components one at a time. Then the processor all that done and all is fine reload windows. With only the basic things connected. Does it still do it? No, then continue to add components until it does. Once found look up the component on the net and find out why it is incompatable with you system.

Now I only do all that if! I have loaded windows correctly a few times and the problem remains the same. If it is exactly the same time it freezes each new load. It is hardware if it is different each time it could still be hardware but a different class.

This problem can occure too if in fact you have onboard sound and have attached the sound cable from the dvd or cdrom to the motherboard.

I can occure if you have put old say cdroms on a new system and or cables. You can get this with connections reversed on the motherboard also. This can be an extensive list as you can add underpowered, bios update, etc... Bottom line the MMC is the clue and it is MB, ram, and most definately processor related.

It could be something as simple as the CMOS is not set up correctly. Definately look at this first....

Do you have only one computer on the net in your house?

Peace

Merry Christmas Troll, the best to you and yours.

Pete
                Last edited by blackice; December 24, 2003, 00:06.
                Or do we?

Comment

Humm processor, ram, video card or Motherboard problem, or perifial device problem.

I always start with the ram, vid card, then remove card and components one at a time. Then the processor all that done and all is fine reload windows.

Now I only do all that if! I have loaded windows correctly a few times and the problem remains the same. If it is exactly the same time it freezes each new load. It is hardware if it is different each time it could still be hardware but a different class.

This problem can occure too if in fact you have onboard sound and have attached the sound cable from the dvd or cdrom to the motherboard.

I can occure if you have put old say cdroms on a new system and or cables.

Do you have only one computer on the net in your house?

Peace

Merry Christmas Troll, the best to you and yours.

Pete
                  Pete, Merry Christmas to you and your Family too!

Forgive me, i forget your children(s) names, I am aware of just one, IIRC, helped you "test" some PC awhile back!

But, I have upgraded my PC by myself and all is ok, have a partition with Windows98SE on one and XP on another side.

I put in a newer Graphics Card..a Radeon 9800 (128 RAM) along with upgrading to XP Home Edition and added 512ddr Ram which give me 1 gig

I still have my AMD2000+ Processor.

I simply Love this!

I get my CTP and better Graphics too!

I am having only 1 Issue, not a "DEAL-BREAKER" so to speak, but still a small annoyance never-the-less:

I cannot access my "DEVICE MANAGER" from my XP OS.

I CAN However, access from both XP "SAFE-MODE" as well as WIN98SE regualr.

Odd, but I have several folks "Looking" into why...hmmm...unsure what the snafu is at the present time.

The great news is now, I no longer have the startup problems with the screen staying blank and having to restart..

ALSO..with my previous setup, WIN98SE every 2nd-3rd time checking my email or trying to get online thru Explorer, It would hang up and simply just stay there, while my sweetheart 5 feet away NO PROBLEMS ever!

Ok last Point Pete and please..notice what the Great,Exalted Most high MING has done for yours truly...

MY NAME HAS CHANGED!

GRANDPA TROLL

is my new name because you see Pete, this Christmas is simply too special, my first Grandchild is just over 10 Months old and yeah, he is the sparkle in my eyes (umm..often glittering behind my tears of joy he has given me!)

Ok..Merry Christmas to you and yours Pete..Hey someday maybe we can have a go...perhaps beat up that Major Peters fella..

Peace

Grandpa Troll

Comment

Ok Grandpa

First things first win98se acts like crap with 1 gig memory, you will have problems unless you drop it to 768, 512 + 256. Second what repair did you run the first one or the second one?

If everything is ok in safe mode then you have a driver problem.

Be sure to keep copies of your NTFS duel boot files for 98, you see that way if 98 goes down you simply run a repair on xp and you have duel boot again. The reason for this is 98 has to be loaded before xp.

Merry Christmas

Have a safe and happy holiday

P.S. Teenie
                    Or do we?

Comment

Ok Grandpa

First things first win98se acts like crap with 1 gig memory, you will have problems unless you drop it to 768, 512 + 256. Second what repair did you run the first one or the second one?

If everything is ok in safe mode then you have a driver problem.

Be sure to keep copies of your NTFS duel boot files for 98, you see that way if 98 goes down you simply run a repair on xp and you have duel boot again. The reason for this is 98 has to be loaded before xp.

Merry Christmas

Have a safe and happy holiday

P.S. Teenie
                      Everything is doing great so far Pete, except the issue with being able to access the Device manager with XP.

I can in the Windows 98se and also XP "Safe Mode" ..just not in the normal boot up mode for XP.

~sigh~

I can live with it..just wish it worked is all!

Peace

Grandpa Troll

Comment

Software
                        Or do we?

Comment

Working...
                        X