Compatible Operating Systems for CTP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatible Operating Systems for CTP?

I have a "copy" of WIN98SE and works ok for CTP but must have some missing files, so I am trying to locate one (not looking WAREZ) or Kazaa, an actual licenced version. Cant seem to find one anywhere?

I have tried Circuit City,Staples,OfficeMax and Radio Shack, no luck?

I am not looking at WINXP because it doesn't work worth doo-doo wah with CTP, plus its a memory hog.

Does anyone know if WIN2000 works any good?

I have heard that WIN2000ME or maybe WInMe its called is not worth a flip do to bugginess?

Any input on WIN2000?

Thanks

I wanna play CTP and other games but WINXP isnt the game operating system to have unfortunately?

Please respond if anyone has any ideas?

This is the reason i have not been continuing with my PBEM because this copy of WIN98SE has been giving me fits, so i am trying to be responsible and fix it.

Peace

Grandpa Troll
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

You ain't gonna find CtP anywhere, it's not exactly a popular game. It's us, a few dozen weirdos who play it .

I have played CtP on Win 95, 98, 98 SE and XP, all fine... as for 2000, I have heard problem reports. And, 2000 isn't what I'd call a stable or game-friendly system, I don't recommend that.

Don't get WinME. It's same as 98, except it has more bugs and needs more resources. Get XP Home, you can now buy it for a reasonable price, and it runs almost all games - for me, it has ran every game I've wanted to.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I have had very few problems with win2000 EXCEPT for playing CTP... LOL Someone once told me that there was a fix for Win2000, but alas, no solutions have come forward yet.

yoda

Comment

Yeah I have TWO (2) copies CTP!

I have had nothing but problems from XP..UGH!

I am gonna look for WIN98..but seems as though on EBAY the ones I see for sale are "questionable" as in am not actually sure they are "Official" or even registerable.

I have never had problems with WIN98 but alas, need to get on thats official.

I will continue on my quest...

On a related note, Solver, met another Latvian, Marco Polo, we played 3-4 hours. He said he was from Latvia.

I will go forth on my quest.

Peace

Grandpa troll

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
          You ain't gonna find CtP anywhere, it's not exactly a popular game. It's us, a few dozen weirdos who play it .

I have played CtP on Win 95, 98, 98 SE and XP, all fine... as for 2000, I have heard problem reports. And, 2000 isn't what I'd call a stable or game-friendly system, I don't recommend that.

Don't get WinME. It's same as 98, except it has more bugs and needs more resources. Get XP Home, you can now buy it for a reasonable price, and it runs almost all games - for me, it has ran every game I've wanted to.
          Solver, you may have played CTP on Single Player or PBEM, but I GUARENTEE you have played WINXP and reloaded a game without problems!

XP keeps giving everyone I know a message "No Scenario Found"

Oh well, back to my brige in Trolldom!

Peace

Grandpa Troll

Comment

Troll I dual boot as I said works well, the only solution for xp is still complicated and wipes out security.
            2k is a bit different as in Yoda's case:

Yoda: Go to TCP/IP filtering permit UDP all, this can be a security problem but you are behind a router also.

Any computer shop can sell you win98se if not call microsoft. You can also download (slipstream) the 98se disk but you need a key to make it work.
            If you bought it already and your copy is punched Microsoft will send you a new one provided you have the original package.
            “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
            Or do we?

Comment

My system is running XP, and I haven't had any problems with ctp
              Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.
              - Isaac Asimov, 1920-1992

Comment

Online you will ;0)
                “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                Or do we?

Comment

Originally posted by david42one
                  My system is running XP, and I haven't had any problems with ctp
                  Try playing Online, if you can actually get two people in a game, you fair about a 0.00000000000001% chance of reloading a saved game, most times you get an error "NO SCENARIO FOUND"

Alas, even my hero Pete cannot come up with a solution.

But,I will soon try a new, PAID FOR Install of WIN98..then all should be ok..

(I hope at least!)

Peace

Grandpa Troll

Comment

I can't MP unless it's with other Mac users... but Mac is always a good OS...
                    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

yep my friend has windows and i have a mac and if we ever try to play online the save game always gets corrupted one way or another
                      :)

Comment

Was thier not a fix for the mac/pc saves? I seem to remember reading that in the mac CTP forums somewhere?

update for Macintosh (SIT, HQX) or 1.2a update for Linux installed in orders to play PBEM games. The Macintosh port has been tested and is compatible with the PC port but the Linux port seems to suffer from compatibility issues.
                        Last edited by blackice; August 7, 2003, 01:05.
                        Or do we?

Comment

You can actually run CTP1 & 2 on windows 2000 ?

Please help me on this . I have a great new system and it's totally updated - yet I cannot get CTP1 nor 2 to run . They install 100 % and I can update them too .
                          I've tried changing screen-resolution , DOS-boxes , compatibility-modes , another administrator-logon etc. ...
                          Nothing works !!!

DirectX 9.0b / Nvidia 45.23 / IE6SP1 /Win2000SP4 / 2,4P4FSB800 / Samsung1024DDR333 / MS-875P NEO-FIS2R / Maxtor160SATA8 / PalitTi4200
                          Take a load of Fanny, take a load for free,
                          Ahhh, You put the load right on me !
                          The Band

Comment

Any error codes? Post them ok?
                            Or do we?

Comment

Maybe S-ATA , Hyperthread or MicroStar is my problem ?

Thanks for responding !

Here is briefly the essence and the latest from my correspondence with Activision regarding my CTP-installmentproblem and this is the ever-returning errormessage :

ctp2.exe has generated an error and is shut down by Windows .
                              The program has to be restarted . An errorlog is created.

******************Activision-correspondence******************************

Yes I still have problems .
                              They may be on a hardware-level as you suggested
                              cause I borrowed a friends machine (just formatted) : Soltek75KAV/Duron800/1024pc133/80BarracudaIV/Geforce3Ti200/
                              ASUS616E/CreativePCI128 and installed all my softwares on it and both CTP1 and CTP2 played without any problems !!!

Back to my machine ... Reinstalled 2000 as just one user (administrator); tried disabling hyperthreading , tried different combinations of Native/Legacy , P-ATA/S-ATA and
                              recently I'm beginning to make a win98boot-partition ...

Tried the W98compatability-test as I've mentioned earlier .

Has ANYONE You know , this machinehardware-configuration
                              and can they test CTP 1 & 2 ?!

Maybe I should ask MicroStar to test this ????

MS-875P NEO-FIS2R / 2,4P4 FSB800 / Maxtor160 SATA8 /
                              (These 3 are the only new elements not CTP-tested !)
                              Samsung1024 DDR333 / Ti4200Palit / Soundblaster Live Platinum / PCTVrave / ASUS 616E / DVDR+504A & PremiumUSB (PlextorWriters)

Mine and the test-machines Software-Configuration :

Win2000ProSP4 / IE6SP1 / DirectX 9.0b / Nvidia 45.23 /
                              Norton Systemworks Pro 2003 / McAfee AV HE 7.02 /
                              ZoneAlarm 4.0146.029 / Cacheman5.5 / AdAware 6.181
                              etc............................................... .

But of course I can take one hardware-piexce at a time and exchange with some other ... takes just a hundred years !

Help ! I am actually an expert on creating/troubleshooting PC's , so ....

Take a load of Fanny, take a load for free,
                              Ahhh, You put the load right on me !
                              The Band

Comment

Working...
                              X