Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 hour rules

A long time ago, many PBEM games had a 24 hour rule :
    play your turn in 24 hours or get nexted.

These days, 24 hours is totally impossible.

But, what do you think is a reasonable time to wait before nexting a player ?
    2 days
    60.00%
    3 days
    20.00%
    4 days
    20.00%
    5 days
    0.00%
    6 days
    0.00%
    7 days
    0.00%
    2 weeks
    0.00%
    veni vidi PWNED!

Myself, I like to send a warning after 2 days, and next after 4 days.
    veni vidi PWNED!

Comment

Yes, with modern PBEM speeds 24 hours is indeed impossible... but, IMHO, nexting after 4 days makes the game an absolute pain in the butt. Simply put, if you have a game where you get your turns once in 8-10 days, you'll lose the trill of it before long.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I think it really depends on the circumstances. If a player is normally reliable with the 24 hour rule, well, the occasional bit of lee way should apply. The more reliable, the more lee way.

If someone is consistently slow or requires constant reminding to play, I tend to give them less and less time before nexting (when I'm paying enough attention, anyway ).

One thing I would recommend is that at the onset of a game each player should state honestly how long they generally take to play a turn, to give the other players the opportunity to withdraw if that will be too long for them. We all know players who consistently take 3 days or even in some cases a week each and every turn

Comment

Agree with Rickety in every word written.

But I have voted for 2 days anyway.
          First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

1st day: Dont worrie
            2nd day: a post like "where are you-NAMEHERE-?"
            3rd day: nexting
            The Chuck Norris military unit was not used in the game Civilization 4, because a single Chuck Norris could defeat the entire combined nations of the world in one turn.
            - Chuck Norris Facts

Comment

The shorter the better! Slow games really take the fun away. You should be able to tell how long until the turn gets back to you (with 24 rule you can) if you won't be around let everyone know. I have some games I've been waiting for the turn for two weeks and I have no idea how much longer it will be. The shorter a player has the turn the better for everyone else.
              Fruity Oaty Bars! Make a man out of a mouse! Fruity Oaty Bars! Make you bust out of your blouse! Eat them all the time! Let them blow your mind...ohh! Fruity Oaty Bars!

Comment

I usually re-send the turn followed by a notification email to all participants after one day. In the second day if there is no sign I next the delayed player. That gives approximately two days per player. If the player has a record of fast play I might give him one more day. If the game is in a critical point or I receive an email from the delayed player asking for some more time then I extend the "grace" period.

Of cource lately I don't follow that practice nor I play my turns daily
                It's damn summer

Comment

Working...
                X