X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP CTP Crashes Right Away

I got a new computer, windows XP

I can install CTP 1_2 ok, but as soon as I hit play
    Wham, I get a fatal CRC error and the program terminates instantly.

Any ideas?
    If it ain't broke, find a bigger hammer.

Cyclic Redundancy Code errors are generally not fixable.

Two things to try, run scan disk to see if windows will fix it, or reload ctp. It could be that one of the files, patches are corrupt.

Run CTP fresh install if scandisk does not work, then add one patch at a time until it crashes. You will then know which file is corrupt.
    “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
    Or do we?

Comment

I didn't do any patches this is CTP 1.2 out of the box.

I'll try to scan disk though. I did try installing two different times. :<

Comment

If that does not work highlight the game *.exe file then right click, go to properties then make compatable tab.
        Once thier tell xp to make this run in win98se compatability mode.
        “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
        Or do we?

Comment

That's it baby !!!!

Thanks Pete, once again you have proven to be a genius.

Now I can play ctp on my good computer !!!

Thanks

Comment

Well....
            It works fine if I just start the game, but if I try to start ctp by opening a .csg file, it gets the same old crc error.

I think when you set up the properties on the .exe it sets up some sort of "prefetch" At least it created a .pf file somewhere in the windows area. I went through and made sure all .exe under activision had the compatibility set for win98, but no joy. It seems to find a way around using the prefetch when I try to open it with the .csg.

Any idea (again?)

Comment

Working...
            X