Let's talk about elections and term lengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about elections and term lengths

After participating in three democracy games, Civ2, CtP2 and originally in the Civ2 game over at Civfantatics, and observing some of the other democracy games, i've gotten some strong opinions on how elections should be run and how long the government should be in office.

My proposal:
    Cabinet members (president, minister of war, minister of foriegn affairs, etc) should have a term of one month long, begining on the first of the month, and ending on the last day of the month.

If we only have one judge, he should have only one month in office, just like the cabinet, but if there are 3, each judge should have the 3 month term, staggered so one is elected every month. with terms begining and ending at the start and finish of each month.

I don't like the 4 week thing, and i'll tell you why, there are very few who will remember how many weeks have gone by for a term, and will never be sure when a new election cycle will begin.

Some people are going to say that the elections could fall on a weekend and people will miss an opportunity to vote. In return I say that we do not need a strict timetable on when to begin the election. We don't need to start the election exactly 3 days before the end of the current term. A variable lame duck period would be completely acceptable and would allow the elections to always been done during the week. of course the nomination start and end date would be adjusted to coincide with the election.

proposal for election sequence
    4 days for nominations
    ~1 day inbetween because whoever is running the elections is not superman*
    3 days for the election

*=may be longer if the period falls on a weekend.

discuss

Change 3 days for the actual elections to 5 and I think the differences between this proposal and the CtP2DG system should be put in an amendment for the CtP2 D. It's perfect
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

i never liked the 4 week term, its too confusing, plus no one is always on poly so much that they can instantly start an election when the nomination period expires. present company excepted

Comment

The longer the term, the longer the election.

If we have 1 wk elections, give us 1.5 months per term. You can't have 1/4 of the term in a turbulent election period. You can't physically and mentally concentrate on the game properly for 7 days, if you have the feeling you may be benched tommorow.

Comment

i'm failing to see the nugget of insight in your post

Comment

The nomination period is not turbulent at all, I think the CtP2DG certainly is proving this. The elections themselves only have to take 5 days, I don't see a problem with 5 days of 'unrest'. The game can still continue, I don't think people will loose *that* much concentration over a virtual election

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
              Change 3 days for the actual elections to 5 and I think the differences between this proposal and the CtP2DG system should be put in an amendment for the CtP2 D. It's perfect
              the only problem is that this proposal covers material in at least two articles... But I'll get to work on changing the existing ones to reflect my proposal.

Comment

Never played a Democracy-game before. But I think the "1 month in office" is easy to remember for all.
                First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

exactly, compared to 4 weeks, one month is like trying to solve 2+2 instead of sqrt(-1)

Comment

But those are both equally simple: 4 and i

Comment

i like the month long term
                      I heard a loud voice, I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! It's rider was named Death, and hades was following close behind him. They were given power over one fourth of the earth to kill by the sword, famine and plague.
                      Revelation 6:8

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
                        exactly, compared to 4 weeks, one month is like trying to solve 2+2 instead of sqrt(-1)

Where is Mathmagician when we need him.

Oh, never mind we have locutus.
                        If it ain't broke, find a bigger hammer.

Comment

when did you to do 2+2?

when did you learn the sqrt(-1) ?

I rest my case

Comment

Time of learning has little to do with it in this case: 2+2=4 is a very simple equation, sqrt(-1)=i is a definition, requires no math whatsoever. So if anything, sqrt(-1) is simpler to solve than 2+2 (in spite of the solution being complex )

Comment

complex
                              heh, nice pun

Comment

Working...
                              X