Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a turn forwarding system but no shared team email. Im not sure sending diplo messages to that system would be appreciated, so my personal email is SladeWilsonTheSecond@gmail.com and unknowns is sirulias@aol.com. Aeson posted your team addy for us.

-Slade
    I guess we need to resend that msg.
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Sorry for my delay in getting back to you, but you know why.

So, the contract looks all fine and great, and is how we've been doing business on tech trades, however, we have a prior arrangement where we are owed Monarchy, and thus, we are obligated to give the people a chance to make their payment good.

I am going to be sending you a series of PM's that are our contract history (at least 2, maybe 3, depending on the character limit) after this. And I will add a synopsis at the end of those in case you don't want to have to read it all in one sitting.

For now, I think I'll keep up with the diplomacy stuff.

-UnOrthOdOx
      Part timer(these days) Merc rep.
      To eventually be made Public:

Contract # 0001
      "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." -Confucius
      Type: Tech Trade
      Team: Sarantium
      Details:
      Sarantium agrees to supply Team Mercenary:

Writing (171)
      Alpha (429)
      Mysticism (71)
      Archery (85)
      Meditation (114)
      69 Tech points to be paid in future when possible

TOTAL:939

In return, Team Mercenary supplies to Team Sarantium:

Agriculture (85)
      Iron Working (286)
      Metal Casting (643)
      Copper for 10 turns (25)

Total: 939

Results: Trade completed as agreed

Contract# 0002
      "Revenge is profitable." -Edward Gibbon
      Type: Reparations
      Team: Horde
      Details:
      Horde archers attack and kill Mercenary axe and sack Mercenary town of Foxtrot.

Team Mercenary Seeking damages in the amount of:
      Lost axe: 35 Hammers
      Lost City: 125 (settler plus lost production, lost food ignored)
      Total: 160 hammers, 320 gold by standard pricing.

Team Mercenary shall remain at war with the Horde until either paid or acquired reparations we deem equal.

Results: The Horde agrees to supply Team Mercenary with Masonry and Sailing to repay their debt.

Update: Horde declared war on Team Mercenary again prior to delivery of Sailing. Team Mercenary seeking compensation. See Contract #0010

Contract # 0003
      "An agreement is a kind of debt." - Morrocan proverb
      Type: Border Agreement
      Details: Team Mercenary will re-settle the ruins of Foxtrot Stables (7 of the horses under contention), while Sarantium will settle 2-1 of its settlers' current position, or 2-2-2 of the horses. In the north, Sarantium will settle a city 9 of the gold hill by the mountains, and Mercenary will settle a city 8-8-8-7 of this gold hill.

The southern extent of both "no-settlement" zones will end at (but include) the straight east-west line running through the wheat and the pigs near the Horde capital's borders. On this line and on the parts of this continent north of it, Sarantium agrees not to settle cities further west than the site by the horses - that is, west across the line going straight north-south from this city - unless permitted by further settlement dealings with Team Mercenary. Team Mercenary agrees not to settle cities further east than the site by the fish and pigs - that is, east acrees the line going straight north-south from this city - unless permitted by further settlement dealings with Team Mercenary.

Type: Tech Trade
      Details: Team Mercenary supplies:
      Masonry 114
      Sailing 143
      workboat/settler credit of 15
      unit rental of 70
      and previous credit of 69

TOTAL 411

Sarantium supplies:
      Mathematics 357
      IW research credit 12 (see previous correspondence and agreement)
      TOTAL 369

Sarantium owes Team mercenary 42 gold/research credits

Results:

Team Mercenary Delivered Unit Rental and Credits in the amount of 154 as agreed. Was prepared to deliver rest as agreed at end of Horde contract.

Sarantium Failed to deliver Mathematics, and made a deal with the Horde to acquire Masonry, cancelling the deal.

Team Mercenary Seeking Reparations, see Contract #0009

Contract #0005
      "Do not guard yourself by a fence, but rather by your freinds" - Czech Proverb

Team Mercenary and Team Sarantium agree to open borders, for the express purpose of increasing trade only, for 20 turns. No units shall pass through each other's border unless otherwise specifically mentioned.

Results: Completed.

Contract #0006
      "A gift in season is a double favor to the needy." - Publilius Syrus

Type: Unit Trade

Team Mercenary agrees to gift Team Sarantium a Settler
      Team Sarantium agrees to gift Team Mercenary a Workboat, a Worker, and compensate the hammer differential at a later time.

Results: Trade Completed, Team Mercenary seeking hammer differential as part of reparations. See Contract #0009

Contract #0007
      "It is about money. Everything is." - Donald Sutherland
      Type: Unit Rental
      Details:
      Team Sarantium rents 2 axe, 2 spear for 10 turns.

Compensation: 70 gold according to standard pricing thread

results: Units delivered and moved as ordered. Died on contract.
      Contract #0008
      "I'm in a business where no one cares about anything except how well your last collection sold." - Calvin Klein
      Type: unit Rental

Details:
      Team Horde rents 4 axe, 2 spear, 4 chariot for 10 turns with option to extend.

Compensation: Horseback Riding on agreement, settler on completion.

Results: Units Delivered and moved as ordered. Extension honored. Died on contract.

Update: The Horde declared war prior to trade of Settler. Team Mercenary seeking reparations.

Contract #0009
      "War like any other racket, pays high dividends to the very few. The cost of operations is always transferred to the people who do not profit." -General Smedley Butler

Details:
      Team Sarantium attacked and killed a neutral Mercenary Chariot.

Team Mercenary shall remain at War with Team Sarantium untill reimburssed for the amount of 50, or compensation we deem equal.

Results:

- Team Sarantium offers explaination for their actions and makes suggestion to improve Mercenary Policies. Offered one time discount on reimbursement as credit for advice. Balance: 25 gold.

- Sarantium denies offer. Balance: 50

- Team Sarantium obtains Masonry from the Horde, cancelling Contract #0004. Cost 142. Balance: 192

- Team Sarantium pillages Mercenary Gems. Cost 60 Balance 252

- 2 Mercenary Horse Archers die in attack on Sarantium Forces. Cost 200 Balance: 452

- 2 Mercenary Horse Archers, 4 Mercenary Axes died in Battle of Anhinga. Cost 480 Balance 932

- Sarantium Cottage donates 4 gold towards Reparations. Balance 928

- Citizens of the Sarantium town of Anhinga have donated 10 gold to the reparations. Balance: 918

- Citizens of the Sarantium town of Port Tiberium have donated 90 gold to the reparations. Balance: 828

- 2 Sarantium Workers have volunteered their lives in Service of Team Mercenary as reparations. Balance: 588

- Hostilities paused to give Sarantium chance to make good payment. See Contract #0011

Contract # 0010
      "I suggest you give me what you owe me, or anything goes..." - Indiana Jones

Details: Horde Declares war on Team Mercenary, cancelling Contracts # 0002 and 0008

Team Mercenary shall remain at war with the Horde until reimbursed for Balance on cancelled contracts or compensation we deem equal.

Balance on contracts: 347
      Second offense Premium: x2

Total: 694

Results:

- Horde invades Mercenary lands and pillages a road. Cost 20 Balance 714

- Team Mercenary makes one time offer to Horde for Peace if they back away and just pay the balance on their contracts. Balance 347

- Horde Refuses. Balance 714

- Horde Pillages Mercenary Cottage. Cost 60 Balance 774

- Horde destroys Mercenary Town of Echo Cove. Cost 250 Balance 1024

- Hostilities paused to give Horde a chance to make good payment. See Contract #0011

Contract #0011
      "Promises make debt, and debt makes promises." ~Dutch Proverb

Type: Bi-lateral Compensation
      Teams: Horde AND Sarantium
      Details: Team Mercenary agrees to cease hostilities on Sarantium/Horde.

Team Mercenary shall return the 2 captured workers to Sarantium and forgive the Horde their 2nd offence premium.

Team Mercenary shall supply Team Sarantium with Polytheism.

In return, Sarantium offers:

Monotheism (171)
      Priesthood (85)
      1/2 cost of Sailing (72)
      Code of Laws (500)

Total: 828

The Horde offers:

Monarchy (429)
      1/2 cost of Sailing (71)
      2 Archers (100)
      1 Axe/Spear (70)
      7 gold, once currency is acquired

Total: 670

Results:

Monotheism accepted
      Priesthood accepted
      Sailing Accepted
      2 archers accepted
      Code of Laws Pending
      Monarcy Pending
      Axe/Spear pending
      Gold Pending
      And that is where we stand now.

In more synopsis:

Sarantium mistakenly interpretted a comment that I made stating that any deals we made with them that prevented our declaring war on them (and I exampled both the open borders and the resource trade) we would never violate.

They assumed this to include a technology trade in the future would mean we would not declare war until it happened, and thus let their open borders and resource trades expire. However, technology trades do not require a peaceful state other than on the turn the actual trade takes place.

So, as Sarantium hired forces to attack the Horde, and we accepted, they believed themselves to be the sole customer.

The Horde, also hiring at the same time, believed themselves to be the sole customer as well, for we DO NOT disclose ANY negotiations with other teams PERIOD until the contract occurs.

So, The Horde got to see hired Sarantium units at the same time Sarantium got to see Horde hired units.

The 2 conspired to join together to remove us. Ordered us to move our units into a position for each other to kill, and in some cases suicided our units on each others heavily fortified cities while preparing to assault our homeland on 3 fronts. Even though it was obvious they were moving our units specifically to weaken us, we honored the rental agreement and moved as ordered.

We were forced to abandon one city on the west coast in this assault, but otherwise made a mockery of it (quite literally it was the best 10 turns of Civilization I have ever been a part of), and took the fight to Sarantium, as with the Horde army eliminated, they were no longer a threat.

The decision to reach out and make peace occured, because as much as we wanted revenge and to wipe them both off the map for this coalition against us, it had reached a point where it was going to become a slaughter. We wanted to stay true to the Mercenary philosphy that it's only about the money, and not revenge, or improving our chances to win. Thus, we contacted Sarantium about peace as soon as that tipping point was reached, and they formed the 2 party contract #0011. Cementing that the Sarantium/Horde is now 1 team. At least where Mercs are concerned.

-UnOrthOdOx
      The Part time Merc Rep.
      hew:

Now on to reading.
      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

sounds like Sarantium and Horde would appreciate our help against mercs. If only we were in a position to offer it.

Comment

There seem to be lots of tech trades there...

Also, I can't really believe Mercs stopped attacking Horde/Sarantium when their armies were killed.
          no sig

Comment

We should check this vs the power graph of those three - perhaps that can give us some good hints.

Comment

The loss of the Merc' city was already "predicted" in the foreign intelligence data (1680 BC).
              no sig

Comment

Greetings from Team Mercenary,

I am in a position to inform you we are in a position that we can offer Philosophy, along with the Drama previously mentioned, as technologies we notice you are lacking.

This combined package offers a beaker count of 1580 if my math is correct, and opens up many new avenues for trade between our nations that Team Mercenary is not already promised from other means. I am sure a mutually beneficial arrangement could be made.

-UnOrthOdOx
                Team Merc rep.
                Looks promising.

Comment

Monarchy 429
                  CoL 500
                  Theology 715
                  Calendar 500
                  Currency 572
                  Compass 572
                  Engineering 1430

For Mercs'
                  Drama 429
                  Philo 1144

It looks to me that Drama + Philo (429 + 1144 = 1573) is exactly the same beakers as Compass + Currency + Monarchy (572 + 572 + 429 = 1573) and very similar to Col + Calendar + Compass/Currency (1572)

But they say they have both CoL and Monarchy pending from other guys, so I guess
                  Compass + Calendar + Currency for Drama + Philo + 72 Gold
                  is the only possible deal with some beaker parity.

I don't know how about you, but it looks to me like giving a lot for receiving little.

So I guess we should postpone getting Drama and Philo until we really want them (either as prereq for Music or Liberalism).

Comment

Heya, Slade PMed me asking if I could make sure there's no technical barrier between you all and he communicating... so, if there is please let me know

Slade Wilson is the new Merc rep/turnplayer, assuming you know that already.
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Hi snoopy369!

We got his and UnOs pm's in my pm box, so if that's all he has sent, it's working.
                      Perhaps I forgot to reply (though I did reply to UnO)..

Comment

Just to put my 2cents in on trades, I'd rather we get gold now to accelerate our own research, each unit of gold can be converted into tech points that are going to GunPowder which is infinitely better then Drama or Philosophy. I'd say all the low and mid techs should be on the table, only with-holding Engineering for now, we could eventually do a strait up trade on it. I'd offer prices that are a good deal for the Mercs (aka they can get more by 100% Gold allocation and trade with us then they could by teaching) this will keep them coming back for more at a steady pace for the next 10-20 turns so as to provide constant infusions of funds. I propose we create a tech portfolio with a price for every tech and offer that portfolio to ALL the teams on the other continent, no re-trading on any techs and with bargain prices we can rake in the funds.

Heres an initial attempt (all prices in gold)

Monarchy 330
                        CoL 350
                        Theology 500
                        Calendar 370
                        Currency 450
                        Compass 450
                        Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

good idea impaler !

It will also level the tech-field with them, which could be good (more trade opportunities in the future) or bad (we lose our massive tech lead)
                          no sig

Comment

Monarchy and CoL are tied up.

What ratio you base your devaluation upon?
                            Calendar is certainly a very useful tech and shouldn't be given away cheaply.

I'm against leveling of the field :P
                            They still have some oportunities to research something we haven't, which is what they're doing (Drama->Philo).

Comment

While were selling these Techs to the 3 waring factions of the other continent we will be teching up ourselves through gun powder and Chemistry which will consolidate control of our continent which I see as our fore most long term goal, chemistry leads to the dominant Navel unit Frigate which combined with our Circumnavigation bonus will allow us to ring their continent in a deadly fleet that will block any invasion forces. We can delay any war with the remaining teams until the early industrial era and thus a sale of techs at this time will not effect the long term advantage we will poses when and if any war becomes necessary with them.

I came up with the value just off the top of my head, slashing roughly 30% off the raw tech cost. Please suggest alternatives but keep in mind the goal is to make the offers a bargain that ALL 3 teams will be isincentived to go gold production and buy from us. Our total profits could be as high as 3 times what we sell for and thus we can and SHOULD sell for less then what we would get in a 1 on 1 trade. Also consider that when they are going for gold production to buy their NOT producing techs we lack so we might reduce their chances of getting things like Music of Liberalism.

Once we have compiled the portfolio and agreed on prices we should make this a public thread we stated trade policy, aka all sales are available to all teams and will be transacted immediately if the trade is offered to us.
                              Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

We won't have Frigates before Astronomy.
                                And we're not that much in need either as long as we consolidate control over our own continent.
                                I'm also keeping in mind the limited value of Musketmen vs Pikemen and Maces/Ellies; Grenadiers aren't exactly cheap either.

30% could be fine - we get 25% bonus on avg from buildings, plus the tech modifiers. That however contradicts our earlier policy of parity being the goal - then if we decide so I'd prefer basing the gold values on usefulness of said techs.

Comment

Working...
                                X