BtS Pitboss Team Democracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BtS Pitboss Team Democracy

I received an invitation from RobWorham to a BtS Pitboss Demo Game being organised by the Poly administration (I think).

It would start after the final patch for BtS (Q1 2008 or so).

Beta, Snoopy369, and RobWorham would be involved as admins.

I replied that I would be interested in leading a team. I would like it to be Gathering Storm, and that the team would be open to new members.

For my part, the C3C intersite demo game should be winding down or over by that point, and I would have a lot more time to devote to it.

What say you?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

I got the same PM, but politely declined. I simply don't have the time. If you form another GS team, please post about it though. If possible I'd like to at least lurk

DeepO

Comment

I can play, but tbh I'm not sure I want to with some of the settings those jokers are throwing around. Anything slower than Normal and another Islands game...
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

They want islands?
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Most people who have posted want Epic or Marathon, and everyone but Paddy and me have said that double moves "Are the Devil" so to speak and want to play Pitboss without simul turns (which will make it another ordinarily slow DG).

I've said I'll lead a team, but I'm only going to use my time if the settings are going to be fun. Basically Normal speed, and pangaea if 5 teams or less, and simul turns on Pitboss with 48 hour turns. Get the game rolling along style of thing. Otherwise I'll lurk.
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I think you're right. Epic would be a snore fest.

I agree with your position that the settings need to lead to a better game, and that things need to move along faster. The mechanics are simply a fact of life. You play knowing them. Time is the killer for these things, and a shorter, sharper game should be preferable.

If you want to lead a team, you should take over and lead GS for this one. I'm sure enough of the old farts will fall in behind you as I would.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

Well, I'm happy to lead the team, but I'd need a team to lead and I don;t see many people posting here saying that they are up for another game.

Comment

True. It is very quiet at the moment. Like a calm before a... you know.

Let's see what can be whipped up.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

Just got a note from NYE about this one. I saw a note from Rob earlier, but my health has been so spotty that I'm reluctant to sign on.... Sorry for that....It sounds fantastic, but I can't keep my commitments for the one we're currently doing, and I'd hate to let you folks down twice. As DeepO says tho, I'll gladly lurk...

-=Vel=-

(and thanks to NYE, for considering me a worthy addition!)
                  The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

We understand your situation, Vel. You have not let anyone down. We each do what we are capable of doing.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Vel, I hope your health improves mate. You've already beaten off the snake venom, who knows whatelse you can see off

Comment

I got Robs PM as well. Considering that I'm only a very casual Civ4 player (I still don't have even ONE finished BtS game under my belt), and I pretty much suck at it, I declined as both team runner and team player. I put in a disclaimer that I may change my mind "when the clarion calls" and was hence put on the maybe list, but to be honest, that's been more a heads-up to Rob than a serious offer.

I'm a member of Civ4-GS as well and am almost completely inactive. It would be unfair to subscribe to a new team when I'm not even contributing to my existing one. I think I have to face the sad truth that I'm not much of a Civ player anymore.

So as much as I'm flattered by your call, and as much as I honor the old memories (you know what I'm talking about), I have to pass on this one, as I won't apply to a team without the intent to contribute (i. e. "lurk").

By the way, and ignoring the fact that it's not my business, on subject of game setup I agree. Anything slower than Normal would last forever. The map should reflect the number of teams too - so if it's 5 teams, it's a small map, not a normal or large one. And while I'm aware of the 2-turn-exploit in a Pitboss game, I'd favor it nonetheless over a PBEM, just for the purpose of smooth running and not losing interest in the long time between the turns (as it happened to me a lot). If an interesting setup were met, I could reconsider.

Comment

Ditto and ditto... I've already let the team down in the last month due to RL constraints, and wouldn't want to do so in yet another game.

Vel, hope you are getting better... but wasn't it scorpion bites?
                          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Thanks NYE, I too got the msgs, but have yet to even play a BtS game and am not familiar with pitboss. I seemed to recall hearing about it, but....

One thing is for sure I could not offer any thing of value to the game.

Comment

S'OK, Sir Ralph. No one can blame you if you don't feel the passion for civ anymore. Certainly not me. You've done more than enough as you did more to start the team than I. You owe no one any apology. This is supposed to be for fun. If and when it's fun again, welcome back. Until then, I wish you fair winds and a calm sea.

Theseus and vel, don't worry about it. You've brought skill and boundless enthusiasm, but again, there has to be desire or it's no longer going to be fun. It's just a grind. You've both had some rough stretches lately for different reasons. Look after yourselves. We'll be here if and when you look our way. Just look for the red and blue chevron. You'll be close to home.

vmx, I am really sorry I missed your PM to join the team during the PtW DG. I would have enjoyed reading more of your input in various threads. If you aren't into BtS so much, don't sweat it. If you pick it up and enjoy it, you have a good idea where to find us.

Everyone needs to remember what GS is for. Learn and have fun with good company. If and when BtS is something you want to learn about, while enjoying yourself and sharing, come find us. We'll be there.

cheers all
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                              X