This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by binTravkin
    Team mail is where everyone from the team or at least all turnplayers can login.
    Oh, I probably COULD if I had the password and stuff (and I'm sure I was given it at some point).

But, frankly, I don't even have time to check my own email account. Everything usefull gets funnelled through my one at work other than this game. Thus, I only check my email when I see it's our turn.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• Let's be real - it took you more time to arrange for the save arriving at the correct mail than checking another mail.

Besides you can set up things like http://www.netvibes.com/ to check all your mails for you and provide summary.
      -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

• It arrived at my mail fine, actually.

I'm talking a typical day. Not a sunday morning when I know it's likely we're getting the save.

And all those little programs to help you cannot go to my work account, which is the only one I check regularly.

The only reason I was able to send the mail on is that I was already in my own account and downloading it to look at it myself at that precise time.

Quite literally, I don't have the computer time to be playing PBEM's anymore. This is the primary reason I did not, and will not be getting BTS.

Besides, it would take me at least a few hours to figure out how to setup these accounts and whatnot. I'm not the most interweb-savvy person around.
        One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• Ok, ok not pushing you.

Setting up a gmail account takes less than 5 minutes, same for netvibes.

And even if it took hours, it'd still be faster than the total time spent searching for all emails to send the turn to..
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

• Looks like the other folks who typically play are all out of town...so...you're all stuck waiting for me to get home from work. I might, therefore, end up being a bit over.
            You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• Um.

I've unwittingly stumbled on an exploit, and am halting the save to inform snoopy and ask how we should proceed.
              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• well done UnO
                Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Alright.

I've done several searches, and have not been able to find this even mentioned before anywhere.

That makes me feel a bit better, it's obviously not something widely known (and outside this game I don't pay attention to CIV anymore, so that was a possibility). Or at least not widely reported.
                  You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.

Comment

• snoopy told me to send the original save. And I have.

What occured was I played, and accidentally shut the game down before getting screenies for the team. I was trying to replay, specifically for post-turn screenies and I got differing combat results. Baffled, I double checked move order on another playthrough and that duplicated the second results. I narrowed it down, and managed to recreate the original results. But, I was confounded because the apparant variable really made no sense. I then informed snoopy and halted the save.

His decision to advance the save makes perfect sense with the info at the time of judgement, because on the surface there would seem to be an easy explaination.

However, I replayed a few times after sending the original save, and I'm personally more convinced there's a means of exploiting the combat RNG to some degree or another. If there's someone with more time than I that wants to test this theory out, I could PM you the information how to create the situation. However, despite moving and attacking in the same order each time, I've come up with 4 differing results. I'm quite convinced there's a bug there somewhere that could (assuming someone was a masochist) be exploited via replays.

That said, I believe we have a general "no replay" for differing results rule anyway, so we're probably already covered, for if someone really wants to cheat, they'll find a way anyhow, IMO.

And to that team who is at war with us, you have considerably fewer units than you did in 125BC. No matter which results are taken.
                      Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; November 16, 2007, 10:40.
                      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• Hmmmmm

Very interesting on this possible exploit. UnO, I know your time is limited right now, but if you haven't done so already, I would appreciate it if you sent the sequence of events leading up to this to Snoopdog. Just so he has a record of it.

Thanks
                        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

• Oh, he's got the sequence on how to achieve all the combat results I came up with. The variable is just...baffling.
                          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                            And to that team who is at war with us, you have considerably fewer units than you did in 125BC. No matter which results are taken.
                            Let us all rejoice...

The first public (mis-)information from "the other continent" appears.

except for the Stonehenge article, I know...
                            no sig

Comment

• Who could that team be..

Comment

• Yes...

anyone interested in some...slightly used...military equipment?
                                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Working...
                                X