The Apolytonian #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Apolytonian #2

Foreword: Through the course of both this and future editions, I will be writing on the subject of the various "religions" as they appear in this game, and are meant to be lighthearted in nature. These are in no way referencing the religions as they appear in the world today.

Relgion spreads throughout the world

Religion has been founded in several locations throughout the world.

First to arrive was a religion calling itself "Buddhism". Little is known of the Buddhists. They have chosen to remain secretive in nature. Indeed, it even seems to be a shunned religion by whichever team discovered it.

What is known is that, despite it's apparant outcast state, Buddhism has thrived, and research shows 15% of the world's population currently subscribes to Buddhist teachings.

We at the apolytonian have received an anonymous tip, a glance at Buddha himself. By the looks of it, we can only surmise they worship food...

More recently, Hinduism also appeared.

Unlike Buddhism, Hinduism has been proudly displayed by it's practitioners.

"First of all, it's Voxism, not Hinduism." Donegeal proudly stated. "We believe all living beings strive towards four goals. Physical pleasure, worldly prosperity, obediance to divine laws, and liberation from samsara. These principles guide both our individual, and our nation's actions. There is no shame to display such beliefs openly."

"I'm sorry, Samsara? You lost me on that one" I questioned.

"Samsara is the cycle of birth, death, and reincarnation. Surely you must be aware of this feeling you have done this before. Why, I am certain in some past life you were scratching out news on banana leaves. In fact, I'm fairly sure we built our nation once before, perhaps another world..."

Having garnered 9% of the world population, Hinduism is sure to gain followers soon. In fact, The Apolytonian has learned that a new little follower will be arriving in Vox soon. Donegeal is planning to retire as The Voice very shortly as his wife goes into labor with their second child. To our knowledge, first child born in the demogame.

- UnOrthOdOx

Interview with a Sarantium Scientist
    The Imperial Sarantium News Service

This reporter recently had an astounding look at some of the Scientific endeavors that are going on in the Empires Scientific Community.

After making the long trip to the remote Scientific research station, at Fort Stinking Desert, I finally met up with the head researcher, E_T. E_T’s team has had several finds that we will explore in the interview.

Reporter: So E_T, with your research team being here at Fort Stinking Desert, what can you tell me about some of the things that you all have discovered??

E_T: It’s Hot, Real Hot!! I alone sweat about a 1.25 buckets a day!!

Reporter: Yes, it is, but I think our readers want to know something more about some of what your doing here, besides sweating buckets.

E_T: Well, there’s lots of sand,.

Reporter: Yesss, but isn’t that to be expected with a desert??

E_T: True, but we are looking at doing some interesting things with it. We have an untapped potential here that we intend to exploit.

Reporter: Can you tell me more??

E_T: Well, We have been looking at one property of the sand, it gets into everything. Especially in places that you don’t really want it. I’ve been chafing for months….

Reporter: Well and good, but what can you do with it??

E_T: Well, we found that because the sand will go though any opening, that we can try to make use of this. Look over here..

E_T shows me a bucket that has had a small hole worn into the bottom and he pours some sand into it. The sand starts to slowly flow out of the small hole

E_T: As you can see here, the sand comes out in a steady flow. So, a set quantify of sand will flow out over a certain time, thus allowing you to better measure the flow of time.

Reporter: This is great, so why haven’t we heard anything about this yet. I know I would like something that I can use to better measure the time.

E_T: Well, we’ve run into several problems. Here, let me show you this

E_T shows me something where 2 buckets are joined at the bottom, with a hole in between the two of them. He then sets a formed Wood Bottom on the one Bottom side, fills the top with sand and sets a similar wood peice on the top and lashes the while thing together.

E_T: This is what we call an hour bucket. It takes a certain amount of time (about an hour) for the sand to go from the top to the bottom. You then turn it over when the time is up. The only problem is that you can’t see though the bucket to see if the sand has run out or not. We’ve tried using some really thin materials, but the sand is too heavy and they tear. So, we are still working on it.

Reporter: Well, it does show some promise, you said there was several problems, what are some of the others?

E_T: Well, sometimes, the sand has this black, gunky substance that clogs up the opening and stops the sand flowing. Then you lose track of your time, have to empty the sand, clean out the hole and refill the sand, only for it to happen again. It seems to be a property of some of the sand that around Fort Stinking Desert. And with it being so Hot, we really don’t want to go out and try to find some cleaner sand. All in all, we have several problems to overcome, but we are working on it. One method that has had some small success is soaking and washing the sand in water with a bit of soap. But with the expense of producing soap, it would be very expensive process, for something that seems to be very plentiful.

Reporter: Yes, I would imagine that the regular person won’t want to pay for something that they would believe should be so cheap, I mean, it IS just sand.

E_T: Exactly, so we are doing our best and will try to see what we can come up with. Anyway, I have work to do and must get back to it. Thank you for your interest in our work here and I hope that the Empire sees the valuable work going on, for our Future.

Reporter: And thank you for your time and for allowing me to come visit your group here, at Fort Stinking Desert.

- E_T

Mercenary Stock reports losses for the 2000th straight year.

Unemployment rises in Alpha Base as the Mercenary Team reports losses for the 2000th straight year.

"It's been tough. There really isn't much business to be had. The local towns have tapped of all they're worth, and there simply isn't much business to be had when all you can sell is the occasional tip that "hey, we saw a lion over that way 50 year ago"."

Analysts claim the depression cannot last forever. Here on the streets of Alpha Base, however, the unemployed have been hearing that for far too long...

-UnOrthOdOx

Snoopy's Casual Dinner #2
    Poached Fillet of Salmon on Rice with Broccoli and Lemon Mayonnaise

If you're preparing this all at once, begin by preparing the rice, which will take a very long time to cook (15 minutes or more depending on method of cooking). Then begin the broccoli, and finally start the salmon while the broccoli is steaming. Total preparation time is dependent on the rice, but should be no longer than 40 minutes, and if you use a rice cooker can be much less (20 minutes).

This recipe takes advantage of the properties of broth to maintain and enhance flavors. If you cooked this with water instead of broth, it would not taste very good because the salmon would lose all of its flavor, and the rice would be very bland.
    You can substitute other broths such as chicken or mushroom, though beef broth probably wouldn't work very well in this instance. If you don't have broth available, you can make do with equal parts water and white cooking wine (or a bland white wine and a few tsp/5mls of salt), and then add some seasonings (such as dill, rosemary, oregano, etc.) that complement the salmon. Also, you can make a broth by adding carrots, onions, and celery (diced) to the water/wine mixture before boiling it.

This salmon does not require a sauce, as it is very tasty by itself, but the lemon mayonnaise will complement it well, as would a lemon butter or a lemon dijon mustard if you prefer more of a bite. If you use the lemon mayonnaise with the salmon, add some dill to give it more of an edge.

-
    2-4 salmon fillets (one per person served)
    Two to four cups/500-1000ml vegetable broth - the more vegetabley the better

Put the salmon in a sauce pan (a small 1 qt/liter sauce pan should do). Add enough vegetable broth to cover the salmon; typically less than 1 quart/liter of liquid is necessary, depending on the pan. Remove the salmon, and heat until boiling, then turn down the heat to simmer and add the salmon back in. Cook the salmon until it flakes easily with a fork, typically about 8 minutes after boiling is reached.
    -
    One to two cups rice
    Enough vegetable broth to cook the rice, most rice is 2 cups broth to 1 cup rice

Cook the rice in the vegetable broth, either in a rice cooker or on a stovetop.
    -
    One to two heads fresh broccoli (each head should contain about a cup loosely packed of uncooked broccoli florets)
    One to two lemons
    One to two cups/250-500ml Mayonnaise
    (Dill and Rosemary) or (Oregano and Thyme) or other similar flavor combinations

Steam broccoli (there are some very cheap microwave steamers available, or do it on stovetop). While steaming, zest about 2tsp (10ml) of lemon peel into the mayonnaise per cup/250ml. Then squeeze the lemon(s) for their juice; add to the mayonnaise to taste.
    If you wish, you can add spices such as those above, or just leave this as is. You can also add sweetener (1-2 tbsp/15-30ml sugar) if you prefer a sweet lemon mayonnaise.
    ---
    Enjoy! This is best served with a white wine, almost any good white should do as the salmon fishiness is nicely muted with the vegetable broth. Or do it like me and drink fresh squeezed, tart lemonade

UnO's "Oriental" BBQ Bistro

Ya know those yummy kabobs at all the oriental resteraunts? Just had to get a working recipe. So I modified me up one from a Utah Resteraunt that hands out recipes for their dishes. Great for Superbowl party...

1/2 Cup Soy Sauce*
    2 Tbls Lemon Juice
    2 Tbls Sugar
    1 Garlic Clove, minced
    1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
    2 Tbls Vegetable Oil
    1 tsp Sesame seeds
    2 Green onions finely chopped

*One note on Soy Sauce. I've found there are generally 2 kinds of Soy Sauce. A more salty variety (La Choi being the most popular here), and a more sweet variety (kikkoman). For the purposes of this recipe, I recommend the salty variety, OR eliminate the sugar and add 2 tsp salt instead.

Now then. This will marinade 1 lb Meat of your Choice. Works on Beef, Chicken, and Pork. Slice them thinly, skewer them on disposable bamboo skewers, then cover those with the sauce and leave in the fridge overnight.

BBQ or Broil till done. (preference cooking method in that order)

Special Modifications for the adventurous:

Chicken:
    Choose 2 of the following to add:
    (all qty's 1 Tbls)
    Thyme
    Rosemary
    Basil
    Savory

Beef:
    Add 2 tsp red pepper sauce of choice (tobasco or similar) and double the garlic

Pork:
    cut the soy sauce to 1/4 cup
    Add 1/4 cup sour cream
    Add 1 Tbls Marjoram

-UnOrthOdOx
    Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; January 27, 2007, 02:32.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Nice work as usual UnO
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Reading that newspaper made me hungry.

Snoopy pie for dessert...
      Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

Again, another great paper.

Now to go and do some cooking.....

E_T
        Last edited by E_T; January 27, 2007, 16:13.
        Come and see me at WePlayCiv
        Worship the Comic here!
        Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Indeed, my mouth is watering! A big thanks to the editor and contributors.
          Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

A correction:

Just like in real life, Hinduism came into the world before Buddhism (at least by the inspection of Vox history I undertook before playing the turn).

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Jordan Elizabeth was finally born on 1-28-07.

She was 7 lbs 13 oz and was 19½ in long.

Water broke at about 5:00 and we had our little girl at 9:44 pm central. I'll post pics when I can.
              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                A correction:

Just like in real life, Hinduism came into the world before Buddhism (at least by the inspection of Vox history I undertook before playing the turn).

JM
                I deny your reality and substitute my own.

(curses, foiled by the damn backwards counter in the BC years again...they are right next to each other on the events log. )
                One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

pretty quick delivery Donegeal

both of my sisters were about 18 hours on each kid

congrats
                  anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Nice job, I hope my team gets an article in the next issue
                    Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal

Water broke at about 5:00 and we had our little girl at 9:44 pm central. I'll post pics when I can.
                      congrats
                      Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                      I am of the Horde.

Comment

Yay, first child of the demogame!

Anyone else out there (other than myself) expecting?
                        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal

Congrats dude.

And as for pics, just start a Website and link it into your Sig, like Rhoth did with Andy....

E_T
                          Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                          Worship the Comic here!
                          Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Good writing. Encouraging to write some too..
                            -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Imagine what he will do when he can talk about real in-game events (beyond the founding of the two religions, that is).

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X