Poll: Generated or Designed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Generated or Designed?

PLEASE NOTE THAT EACH TEAM WILL GET ONE OFFICIAL VOTE.

Each team can discuss privately or via email; there's no reason we can't begin to knock these matters down one after another.

For your team's vote, simply state "X team votes Y" in this thread. The actual poll above will simply be a rough opinion poll that is in no way binding whatsoever.

The first question is a simple one:

Do we trust the map generator of CIV, do we want a totally hand-designed map, or do we want a map with modifications based on a randomly generated map?
    Fully randomly generated - pure CIV!
    44.19%
    Fully hand-designed - I trust no Soren!
    4.65%
    Random generation with oversight - I want to complain to someone!
    44.19%
    Bananas generate all that matters.
    6.98%
    Friedrich Psitalon
    Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
    Consultant, Firaxis Games

Could you give me a list of the existing teams, whose vote shall be counted in said referendum?
    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

In the other thread - I added all the ones I saw lists for, and updated with the one you mentioned.
      Friedrich Psitalon
      Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
      Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Common, Random There is no Rubber or SS in this game, means we can't get screwed over like last time, except...:

"We'll take that small island please. No, we don't need any Uranium, thanks..."
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
          Common, Random There is no Rubber or SS in this game, means we can't get screwed over like last time, except...:

"We'll take that small island please. No, we don't need any Uranium, thanks..."
          I can't agree, Krill. I love the feel of generated maps, but still some editing might be needed to ensure a balanced start. After the start, the division of land is less important compared to strategy.

DeepO

Comment

I want to complain!!!
            (i.e. option 3)

Comment

Some sort of map-checker is definitely a good idea - maybe not a full 'editing', but having someone glance at the map to make sure nobody starts in the tundra is a good idea.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                Some sort of map-checker is definitely a good idea - maybe not a full 'editing', but having someone glance at the map to make sure nobody starts in the tundra is a good idea.
                That happened for PTWDG too, and still we ended up with one continent for one civ, twice the size of another continent with 2 civs... and some crucial strategic resources inaccesible for both GS and Vox. We need to define what 'balanced' means.

Luckily, strategics don't pose the same kind of limits in CIV as they did in Civ3, but still... I would prefer for instance, that each civ starts with either horses, iron, or copper. They can have more sources, but can't have none.

DeepO

Comment

Why not an Earth map?

Comment

Originally posted by DeepO

That happened for PTWDG too, and still we ended up with one continent for one civ, twice the size of another continent with 2 civs... and some crucial strategic resources inaccesible for both GS and Vox. We need to define what 'balanced' means.

Luckily, strategics don't pose the same kind of limits in CIV as they did in Civ3, but still... I would prefer for instance, that each civ starts with either horses, iron, or copper. They can have more sources, but can't have none.

DeepO
                    There was no checking done for PtWDG.

Trip was supposed to generate a map and start the game. He was late and Farb used some order of posting in some thread to determine an order and asked me to do it. So I did.

You can thank my old computer, alone, for the map and the distribution of civs and resources. Nobody checked it. That in itself argues that we should get someone like Sirian to generate it for us and check to make sure no one is alone, and no one gets jobbed (two civs missing critical resources and another squeezed in in the meat grinder) and nobody starts buried in tundra.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I'm happy to have Sirian generate a map for us and check it over.
                      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                        I'm happy to have Sirian generate a map for us and check it over.
                        That would be great. Whatever you do, keep Panzer away from the map making exercise
                        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Hey, He screwed us both over. Difference was, Arrian and CH adapted quicker to the situation than you lot did (please note that while I am currently playing CoD, I am purely rebuilding it. I never had much of a say in the real decision making process...and I joined after the war started...)

Comment

You could look at it that way or look at it that CoD and Monty had contact before Monkey had contact with CoD.

Bottomline is CoD's diplo in this was the best Ive seen in a demo game. No question on that.

Comment

Well, all Kudos goes to Arrian and CH if that is the case.

I've done very little other than build up CoD for the past 20 turns.

Comment

Working...
                              X