City naming conventions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City naming conventions.

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this. In my own games I usually just go by the default city names for the race I'm playing, but for the DG I thought it might be fun to use millitary key-spelling (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, etc.) or to name cities after units (Warrior, Archer, Longbowman, etc.)

OH hell, Let me dig up our old list...

edit:

List of names famous for piracy:

Boat names: http://www.vleonica.com/booty.htm

City Names: http://www.cindyvallar.com/havens1.html

Port Royal
    Tortuga
    New Providence
    Madagascar
    Lipari Islands
    Cilicia

Algiers
    Morocco
    Tripoli
    Tunis
    Bizerte
    Dunkirk
    Bias Bay
    Ocracoke Island
    Bath Towne
    Barataria
    Campeche
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

While I know this will never get support, I'm in favor of naming all of our cities something similar (a string of Dots and Commas) and giving them our own names on the forums - that way they'll be confusing to people, but we can identify them readily.

Sorry, in a brainfade moment I touched edit not reply and posted my entire comments below here. Um, I should probably not have been able to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
        While I know this will never get support, I'm in favor of naming all of our cities something similar (a string of Dots and Commas) and giving them our own names on the forums - that way they'll be confusing to people, but we can identify them readily.

That will have certainly have people squinting at their screens the first time they see it. It harks back to the WWII methods of taking down the road signs, but from who are we trying to hide this info? Won't they only see the city names anyway? I thought that the private forum was, uh, private anyway?

I like the ideas expressed by UnO though. We could also add "Fort" as a prefix (i.e. Fort Alpha etc or Fort Blackbeard or Fort Warrior etc.) or if it's on the coast "Dock" (like Dock Holiday if you pardon the pun).

I would prefer that to some of my other ideas (naming them after (in)famous gangsters, or after serial killers), but we could always really confuse the "opponents" by naming the cities after minor Saints (St. Raphael as opposed to Simon Templar).
        Have guns. Will travel. +27123150425

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova (troglodyte)
          Sorry, in a brainfade moment I touched edit not reply and posted my entire comments below here. Um, I should probably not have been able to do this?
          It's a bug in all private forums that the admins benignly neglected to fix at the request of the PTWDG1 teams. It can cause an accident now and then, but it's very handy for letting anyone edit information in centralized threads, which can be quite useful in a team game like this.

Edit by UnO: Hello, My name is Kloreep, and I hate Builderering.

Comment

What do we want the permanent name of the capital to be? It currently has the default of Berlin.

Comment

Stealing from the first Mercenary Team on MZO, I'll throw out...

The Eagle's Nest

But otherwise I'm very much in favor of a strict military style naming convention. While I like the Pirate theme, this team isn't a pirate concept. Pirates would plunder and steal from the ships of rival nations (or just ships with a lot of good booty).

We are soldiers of fortune. We don't haphazardly rob passers by, we are businessmen and tradesmen who offer a very necessary service to others. We should be organized, effective, and disciplined in our appearance and a military naming convention (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie ...) would suit us very well, indeed.

--Togas
              Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
              Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
              Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
              Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

I'd be okay with the military naming convention. Though if we're going for that, our first city and capital should definitely have Alpha in the name IMO.

Comment

I support the military naming convention from the beginning. Capitol: Alpha
                  One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                  You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Or Fort Alpha?

Or Alpha Base?
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I like Alpha Base

Comment

A thought came to mind that may or may not have any importance. If we use this type of predictable naming convention, then someone who bumps into us for the first time and sees a city named Delta could assume that we have at least four cities. Do we want others to know how many cities we have just by looking at their names?

Comment

This is quite true.

We could always mix it up. E.g. name our second city Gamma, etc.

Comment

Is our military naming convention the same as the US ?

Our A to Z are :

Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta Echo Foxtroit Golf Hotel India Juliet
                            Kilo Lima Mike Novemeber Oscar Papa Quebec Romeo
                            Sierra Tango Uniform Victor Whisky X-Ray Yankee Zulu
                            C3C ISDG Final Round : Actively Lurking

Comment

/me is clearly losing it

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same, but the few I know are the same. I was thinking greek alphabet for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X