No announcement yet.

MP C4DG Chat Poll 5: City Gifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We wouldn't need it, ET. GS and RP would have had open borders, so any RP city would have been a port for GS.

Plus, unloading works different now. Might as well land on the coast.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Is this reasonable?

Description: No team is permitted to barter, gift, or otherwise trade a city or cities, unless to return the city or cities to a previous owner or to divide up the territory of a conquered civ.

Definition: For all reasons, aside from those listed below, cities may NOT be traded or gifted to another team

Reason 1: Returning ownership - If a team was previously in possession of a city or cities, the current owner can return it to that team's possession.

Reason 2: Spoils of War - After concluding a war and either signing a peace treaty or conquering a third party, the cities of a third party can be gifted or traded between the parties who were at war with the third party.

Reason 3: Borders - Cities may be traded between teams as part of a border agreement.

Prohibition: Under no circumstances may a city be granted by a team to another team where those two teams are unable to have an Open Border agreement.

Purpose: To prevent the use of city trading to break the spirit of the game by allowing early contact or denial of conquest.

This has been amended slightly from current ISDG rules to adjust for Astronomy and the absurdity of a team giving another team a city when they can't trade.

Once there are galleons, you can't hide the cripple very well.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Prohibition: Under no circumstances may a city be granted by a team to another team where those two teams are unable to have an Open Border agreement.

You can have OB w/o Astro. You just need optics & contact via a caravel. The OB won't actually DO anything, but you can have 'em.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

IMO: if you want to save a civ, send units, gold, advances....NO cities

when the dirt nap calls, take it
          anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

See, I don't see what is wrong with these type of 'permanent' alliances
            IIRC it's been agreed on not having Permanent Alliances in this DG.

Comment

but they aren't permanent alliances

that is why I put them in quotes

we could have backstabbed Lego at any time...

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

If you don't allow Diplomacy like Vasalage..

then you might as well have Always War on..

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                  IMO: if you want to save a civ, send units, gold, advances....NO cities

when the dirt nap calls, take it
                  One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                  You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Hmm. City gifting has been a staple of DG intrigue for as long as I have followed it - largely from the outside. I would allow it. It is a reasonable diplomacy outcome and is actually an integral part of the SP C4 game.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                      Is this reasonable?

Description: No team is permitted to barter, gift, or otherwise trade a city or cities, unless to return the city or cities to a previous owner or to divide up the territory of a conquered civ.

Definition: For all reasons, aside from those listed below, cities may NOT be traded or gifted to another team

Reason 1: Returning ownership - If a team was previously in possession of a city or cities, the current owner can return it to that team's possession.

Reason 2: Spoils of War - After concluding a war and either signing a peace treaty or conquering a third party, the cities of a third party can be gifted or traded between the parties who were at war with the third party.

Reason 3: Borders - Cities may be traded between teams as part of a border agreement.

Purpose: To prevent the use of city trading to break the spirit of the game by allowing early contact or denial of conquest.

This has been amended slightly from current ISDG rules to adjust for Astronomy and the absurdity of a team giving another team a city when they can't trade.

Once there are galleons, you can't hide the cripple very well.
                      Maybe add in a provision that allows for teams to capture a city for another Civ and give it to them. And also to allow for the trading of cities. Maybe two Civs have "outposts" somewhere and would like to trade cities for logistical purposes.

To allow citiy gifting for the purpose of transporting troops should never ever ever be allowed!!!

Comment

Maybe add in a provision that allows for teams to capture a city for another Civ and give it to them. And also to allow for the trading of cities.

So, Teams A and B capture a city from Team C and gift it to Team D? Why, though? I can see a point for trying to keep the borders in good shape, but I can see exploits. What if Team D is not in the war, and Team C knows that to take it's city back it has to enter Team D land, and declare on Team D, giving them war happiness. It seems exploit-ish, but I am not sure if it is...

For border purposes, I think all city trading should be allowed. Look at GoW and ND in PTWDG, with ND giving up cities to GoW, and ND annexed all of the former RP land...

Maybe two Civs have "outposts" somewhere and would like to trade cities for logistical purposes.

Uh, Can you say Open Borders?
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                          Maybe add in a provision that allows for teams to capture a city for another Civ and give it to them. And also to allow for the trading of cities.

[q] Originally posted by Krill So, Teams A and B capture a city from Team C and gift it to Team D? Why, though? I can see a point for trying to keep the borders in good shape, but I can see exploits. What if Team D is not in the war, and Team C knows that to take it's city back it has to enter Team D land, and declare on Team D, giving them war happiness. It seems exploit-ish, but I am not sure if it is...

For border purposes, I think all city trading should be allowed. Look at GoW and ND in PTWDG, with ND giving up cities to GoW, and ND annexed all of the former RP land...
                          If a team gives away a city in order to prevent it from being taken back by another Civ then it is indeed an exploit. If a team captures a city, but then doesn't want it anymore and another team is willing to "buy" it from them then they should be able to "sell" it. Yes, there are a number of ways to exploit the game. It's is one of the reasons I say that we allow the admins to make determinations as such as the game progreses. Certain things with certain circumstances will be legit and some will not.

Maybe two Civs have "outposts" somewhere and would like to trade cities for logistical purposes.

Originally posted by Krill Uh, Can you say Open Borders?

Open borders wouldn't do a thing. I don't know what you are thinking here.... When I said "outposts" I was meaning cities that are not directly connected to the cultural borders of a said team.

Let's say two teams find a couple of islands and each settle one city on each island and later on they want to swap one of the cities with the other team so that each has their own island....

That's just one example...

Comment

BF, did I really say all of that?
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

[q=BigFree]If a team gives away a city in order to prevent it from being taken back by another Civ then it is indeed an exploit. If a team captures a city, but then doesn't want it anymore and another team is willing to "buy" it from them then they should be able to "sell" it. Yes, there are a number of ways to exploit the game. It's is one of the reasons I say that we allow the admins to make determinations as such as the game progreses. Certain things with certain circumstances will be legit and some will not.[/q]

[q=BigFree]Let's say two teams find a couple of islands and each settle one city on each island and later on they want to swap one of the cities with the other team so that each has their own island....[/q]

They are border treaties, ergo, they are covered under the border treaty clause.

In the first case, if that was after the war had concluded, I see nothing wrong with it, so long as the rest of the rules are followed.

In the second case, it is a simple border treaty, only thing is that the land has already been settled, so the teams have to think about the sacrifices they are making, ie are the cities placed in the optimal positions, what improvements will be lost in the towns they would be giving up etc.

Comment

If you can say that the second case is nothing but a "border treaty" issue then I can say that any city gifting/trading is for "adjusting" my borders and thus legal.

My point is to allow most things because there will and should be exceptions. Allow the Admin's to make judments. I know some people don't want the Admin's to have a significant impact on the game but the fact is that they will. I think we have a very good ones for this game and we should trust them to do the job properly.

Comment

Working...
                                X