MP C4DG Chat Poll 3: GP Gifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP C4DG Chat Poll 3: GP Gifting

There was not entirely a consensus in the chat about this.

The question at hand, is whether it will be allowed for one team to send a GP, for ANY reason, to another. This includes straight gifting or trading, selling for money (ie, Mercs), or giving as a result of a war or other treaty.

GP gifting can be allowed, can be limited, or can be prevented. Please discuss...

Ultimately, unless a compromise limit appears, more than likely the poll will be: "GP gifting is allowed (without limits)." (Yea or Nay). But please discuss first, so a possible compromise might be reached
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

I think I would be in favor of GP gifting allowed without limits, but need to wait for others to speak up

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Why would anyone besides team merc want to gift a GP? I think if people want to, they should be able to. They can in SP and MP.
      First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
      Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

I don't see why it should be disallowed.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I don't know enough, in that respect, to say one thing or another. Can someone go into more detail as to why one would want to do this? Maybe post a link to some strat thread or something that sheads more light on this?

E_T
          Come and see me at WePlayCiv
          Worship the Comic here!
          Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

-Arrian
            GS and another team are two civs on a land mass. We make peace and not war.

GS aims GP cities for Scientists and Artists.

The other civ goes for Merchants and Priests.

It becomes very much easier to manage multiple GAs.

Three of them. Each. Plus one more for the odd GEng.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Hey... if you can politically wrangle out something of that magnitute, more power to you. That would be amazing...(we should have gone with Pangea...)
              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal
                (we should have gone with Pangea...)
                QFT. Damn isolationist builders and landscape gardeners...

I'm in favour of GP gifting without limits, not that I expect it to be a common thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

-Arrian
                  agreed
                  anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I dislike it as potentially hugely unbalancing - but only with the situation of one team having stated that they exist only to sell things. I really do not like the concept of a civ raising GPs for the sole purpose of selling them to other civs. The rich get richer and the poor get the picher.

Sorry, but I am strongly opposed to this. Decide as you wish and I will succumb and be pleasant. But I don't like it.

GB

Comment

The game allows it, for whatever reason. I think we should leave it the way it is. It will add an interesting twist to the game as will may other issues that only human opponents/allies can bring to the table.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFree
                        The game allows it, for whatever reason. I think we should leave it the way it is.

took the words right out of my mouth

please gift one my way asap
                        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

what if there's stipulation that team mercenary cannot gift GPs? Rather they must use them to achieve their own goals (military tech/building units to sell)
                          First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
                          Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

The problem that GB states about one team existing to sell GP really does not exist to as great an extent as implied. Are Merc going to sell every GP they produce? For example, would team Merc sell a Great Artist to a team they were next to, only to see the great artist produce a great work in a border city between the teams? I would even go so far as to say Merc are interested in their survivalk, and that they would not sell anything that placed themeselves in jeopardy...

Will team Merc sell a Great scientist that is going to be used to speed research, for anything less than the beakers it is worth?

I think that even with merc in the game, the problems that could exist, effectively just boil down to the original problems, that if several teams cooperateed together, research and golden ages are going to be incredably easy to produce. And in my view, I can't see the golden ages itslef being the unbalancing act, it is the swapping of great people to speed tech...
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

GS and another team are two civs on a land mass. We make peace and not war.

GS aims GP cities for Scientists and Artists.

The other civ goes for Merchants and Priests.

It becomes very much easier to manage multiple GAs.

Three of them. Each. Plus one more for the odd GEng.
                              This is exactly why GP gifting is a very bad idea. This WILL happen, and the teams that do it will finish 1-2 in the game. The teams that don't will be left behind.

We can either disallow GP gifting to block this strategy, or be absolutely certain that the situation will become "Do this or lose." It's not a strategy requiring massive commital of resources, and it has no downside other than the obvious trusting of your exchange partner, which you'd be stupid not to do.
                              Friedrich Psitalon
                              Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                              Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Working...
                              X