This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C4DG Mod

I'm going to update periodically the "mod" used for C4DG here, and some instructions for how to test things using your own civ4. The map will NEVER be attached here, of course, so you have to make your own. (If the teams, by unanimous consent, wish to have the real map included POST-all-teams-know-all-squares, then I will, but only once that happens, and by unanimous consent.)

Edit: Updated 4/18 (FINAL VERSION!)

Unzip this to your
    /Program Files/Firaxis/Sid Meier's Civ 4/Mods/
    directory, keeping folder names intact.

That's all you need to do!!
    Attached Files
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

The zip file. I'm not going to update this often, but this is for losers who don't have winRAR.

Edit: Updated 4/18 FINAL VERSION!
    Attached Files

Comment

How to Mod your Flag and Button

Quick course on how to change the pics here.

First, some pointers to keep this simpler:
      • Keep the same filenames that I used. That way you don't have to modify the XML code (though I'll show how to.)
      • Use photoshop or gimp to manipulate the pics, and to do all of the sizing adjustments; the DDS tool does a lousy job of size adjustments.
      • Use high contrast colors if possible. The flag gets resized to all sorts of sizes (particularly when zooming), and a small picture with high color contrast looks better.

Programs you'll need:
      • The C4DG Colors mod, a few posts up. Extract the folder C4DG Colors\ to your \Program Files\Firaxis\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\ folder (adjust for where you installed Civ4 to, of course, if different.)
      • Picture editor, like Photoshop, PaintShopPro, or the free Gimp.
      • DDS convesion tool, either as part of your image editor, or seperate. DXTbmp is the tool I use, it works well enough. gimp's converter is apparently not perfect, but you can use that. Must be able to encode alpha channel in DDS-3.
      • XML editor, if you want to manipulate the xml files; you COULD use notepad, but ... ew. XMLspy has a free home edition, and is not horrible. Not perfect, but it's free ...
      • The alpha channel images in the .rar file attached. Oh yeah, get winRAR to open this file.
      • The bracket border, in the mod folder (/art/interfaces/button/civilizations/civ4bracket2rt.jpg) ... needed for the button

1. Making the Flag
        To make the flag, create a 96x128 picture, with the meat of the picture in the middle. That's because the top and bottom get sort of randomly cropped by the flag renderer on units (but not nearly as much in the flag on the HID).
        Then, if possible, resize the picture in your picture creation program to 128x128. That will stretch it some, but that's okay, as the flag will re-shrink it back to original dimensions, later. Save it as a BMP format file, anywhere.
        Next, open the above saved file with DXTBMP (or your favorite DDS converter). In DXTbmp, there is a square that's white by default, on the right hand side of the screen. Under it are four buttons: "Import", "send to editor", "refresh from editor", and "Export". The first one (import) is the one you want. Click it, then navigate to the "black.bmp" file that is in the .rar file attached below. It should replace the white square with a black one.
        Then "save as" the file, choose DDS and then DDS-3, saving the file in the (mod name)/Assets/Art/Interface/TeamColor/ directory, preferably using the same name as the one I installed (otherwise, edit the XML, in a later post).
        That should be all you need to install your flag.
      2. Making the Button
        Making the button is nearly identical to the flag, except for individual details.
        First, make a 55x55 image. The button will always be square in game, so start with a square this time. You can use the 128x128, if you don't mind it being stretched.
        Then open up a copy of the civ4bracket2rt.jpg file, and paste the 55x55 file on top of this 64x64 file, centered. That should fit the square borders fairly well.
        Save that image somewhere (not as the bracket file, of course) and open it with DXTbmp. Choose the import button for the alpha channel, and select the "bracket.bmp" file that's in the .rar file. Save that file as a DDS-3 file, in the (mod name)/Assets//Art/Interface/Buttons/Civilizations/ directory, preferably with the same name as the one I left for you.
        That should be all you need to install yoiur button (which is used in the civilopedia entry for your civ, among others).
      3. Changing the XML for the file you want
        You need to open the file /Assets/XML/Art/Civ4ArtDefines_Civilization.xml in your xml editor (whether that's Windows' Notepad, or XMLspy, or whatever). Assuming you're working with an already existing civ, find that civ, which is in the following format:
        Code:
        < CivilizationArtInfo>
        	< Type>ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_FRANCE< /Type>
        	< Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Civilizations/France.dds,
             Art/Interface/Buttons/Civics_Civilizations_Religions_Atlas.dds,8,5< /Button>
        	< Path>Art/Interface/TeamColor/FlagDECAL_FleurDeLis.dds
        	< bWhiteFlag>0< /bWhiteFlag>
        < /CivilizationArtInfo>
        The < Button > line is the civilopedia button, for your 64x64 button. Replace that whole line with the path (relative to assets/ ) to your button's .dds file (usually /art/interface/buttons/civilizations/FILENAME.dds). The other stuff isn't needed, it's for the pakked file from the base game.

The < Path > line is for the flag. It's in the same syle, but at art/interface/TeamColor/FLAGFILENAME.dds . Also, change WhiteFlag to 1 (this makes your flag visible, I think).

To add a new one, just copy this from some other civ, give it a new name (you should follow styles, but any name is fine) in the < Type > field; then open Civ4CivilizationInfos.xml, and find your civ; one line is ArtDefineTag, change that entry to your custom entry.

Please feel free to post if you have any questions. I haven't edited this thoroughly, so if I made any mistakes, let me know and i'll correct them.

Comment

Many, many, many thanks snoopy. As if you weren't already doing much more than you should.
        "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war" - Albert Einstein
        Eternal Ruler of the Incan Empire in the History of The World 5 Diplomacy Game. The Diplogame HotW 6 is being set up.
        Citizen of the Civ4 Single Player Democracy Game JOIN US!
        Wanna play some PBEMs!?

Comment

BTW, it's also easy to put a static DDS as a leaderhead. If you want that, the modiki explains it well; you need a 512x512 DDS (or BMP) file. Anyone who wants a custom leaderhead, just tell me and post the 512x512 in your forum somewhere obvious.

I'm going to be skiing for the next week - so no updates until March 6.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

I'm going to be skiing for the next week - so no updates until March 6.
            This is totally unacceptable!! My butt always hurts after skiing. Also my pride. Take care of yourself, Snoopy.

Comment

could you say that in english snoopy369

just

I wont even think of attemtping anything

Thank you for going above the call of duty
              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

hehe He is a good ol' SnoopCat
                Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                I am of the Horde.

Comment

Hey Snoop, any chance we could release one of the maps that was close but not chosen for one reason or the other?
                  *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I would, but I don't think I actually saved any copies of them. I'll see if I have image files somewhere one of these days.

Comment

Updated.

Comment

I noticed in the directory C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\C4DG Colors\Assets\XML\Text the file for Sarantium has the contents of the Merc file.

I'm pretty sure these texts only apply when an AI is playing the civ, just checking to make sure it won't cause a problem.
                        some day I'll put a catchy phrase here

Comment

Oh, I was going to create a sarantium file, but didn't actually get around to finishing it, since y'all didn't give more than just the 4 lines that are settable in-game. So it's not referenced anywhere at all

Comment

Is it normal we can't start a game with this mod?

I can only start a scenario, then the only option I'm given is a world-builder quicksave, which unloads the mod.

Double clicking the included save file works without problems mod-wise (but is an unplayable game).
                            no sig

Comment

I have no problem starting games with this mods... no idea why it'd be a problem for you. I've even played a few to completion ...

Maybe it's a problem with the patch? I'll try it out and see

Comment

Working...
                              X