MP: C4DG Nearly Starting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP: C4DG Nearly Starting!

Heya, just to keep you all up on where we're at, I thought I'd start a new thread.

We're basically ready to go. The reason we've been delaying, is the anticipation of a new patch, which I've heard is close to release. No point starting now and then restarting not long after

Aeson and I have found a map, balanced it (nothing huge, it was a pretty nice map), and saved it, ready to start a game with when the patch comes out.

Things still to be done:
    • Finish customizing civs (3/7 done)
    • Finish civ icons (5/7 done)
    • Determine "metagame" rules (Sunday?)
    • Drink a diet soda (hmm, yumm)

That's about it. I won't delay the start of the game to finish the mod, so anything that's not done by patch release, whenever that is, isn't done...

Some decisions we made on the fly last night ...
    • The turn order was set mostly randomly, but the top two spots were merc and vox, as they got secondary civ choices.
    • Continents, NOT custom continents. Trust me, CUSTOM continents looked horrid, and were never nearly balanced; on the other hand, Continents made a good map on the second try. Custom continents kept giving grids, like the one that was 6 continents in a dice pattern ... or the really cool but not good one that was one HUGE sprawly continent with a tundra-continent with Banana alone on it Although Continents is always risky, it ultimately made a much better map than anything we could get on Custom, so long as we previewed it.

Full civ order, btw:
    • Merc
    • Vox
    • Banana
    • GS
    • Horde
    • AC
    • Sarantium

So not so far from the actual opposite of the roll ... AC and Sarantium flipped, and GS a bit further down, but they all got their first choices

If for any reason there is no official patch by the end of next week (Feb 23), I'll make screenshots of the starting location for each civ, and distribute them before the weekend (but remind me, i might be busy). IF THAT HAPPENS, THERE WILL BE ANOTHER WEEK'S DELAY. I'm on vacation Feb 24-March 4, and Aeson doesn't have his Civ4 at the moment, so if we can't get the game out by then, we'll have to wait a week. I hope that the patch will be out by then, but if not, my apologies. At least you'll have screenies to look at.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

You two are doing a sterling effort - thank you.
    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Yes, like Paddy says, good job and thanks!!

Pre-start screenshots should help tide us over until we get started for real. We all can get our early game planning done in advance.

Golden Bear

Comment

Re: MP: C4DG Nearly Starting!

Originally posted by snoopy369
        • Continents, NOT custom continents. Trust me, CUSTOM continents looked horrid, and were never nearly balanced; on the other hand, Continents made a good map on the second try. Custom continents kept giving grids, like the one that was 6 continents in a dice pattern ... or the really cool but not good one that was one HUGE sprawly continent with a tundra-continent with Banana alone on it Although Continents is always risky, it ultimately made a much better map than anything we could get on Custom, so long as we previewed it.
        I compelety agree with the Custom Continents. They are horrblie looking, even benoyd gamey looking.

Anyways, thanks for all your guys' hard work getting off.
        Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Thanks Snoop, Thanks Aeson
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Thanks for the work and the update Snoopy369, but the land of Frozen Bananas might have worked into our game plan.
            Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

Obligatory and to both Aeson and Snoopy369.
              He who knows others is wise.
              He who knows himself is enlightened.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Thanks and good job guys....
                didn't I read somewhere that it was the guys in the middle that get the shaft
                "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war" - Albert Einstein
                Eternal Ruler of the Incan Empire in the History of The World 5 Diplomacy Game. The Diplogame HotW 6 is being set up.
                Citizen of the Civ4 Single Player Democracy Game JOIN US!
                Wanna play some PBEMs!?

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy-O
                  Thanks for the work and the update Snoopy369, but the land of Frozen Bananas might have worked into our game plan.
                  Hehe, I did think when I saw it that you guys would probably have enjoyed that map quite a bit Too bad I didn't save a copy.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

three cheers for sure

and thank you Paddy, I missed her green eyes
                    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Any reason to delay the release of starting positions screenshots? We might get started right now...

DeepO

Comment

Suspense is good too DeepO...
                          First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
                          Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

I think the reason we could not have screenshots of our start location is that the start locations are random, ie, nobody knows where anyone will start, and giving everyone screenshots of everyone elses start positions is not acceptable...
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Metaliturtle
                              Suspense is good too DeepO...
                              Sure, but there also is a limit to what amount of effort one team can pour in 24h. We want a timely turn progressing, and especially the first turn this is not going to hold.

Everybody will want more time for their first turn, and every team accepts that more time will be needed. But giving every team all the time needed will lead to the first turn taking 3 weeks or more... providing screenshots might reduce that first turn to 2 weeks, possibly even 1 week.

Just an idea, though. Not a demand... and certainly not the official GS view, just my personal opinion.

DeepO

Comment

Working...
                              X