MP: Turn Time Limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP: Turn Time Limits

I'd like to hear from you all what sort of time limits you'd like enforced. Again, not a formal poll (yet), but just a sounding board; also please note if you're speaking for your team or for yourself.

* Strict time limits, ie 48 hours per turn; looser time limits, such as 48 hours with Mod ability to lengthen if requested for good reason; loose limits with automatic extension if requested; no time limits
    * How long of time limits
    * Mods skip turns entirely, or play turns with minimal changes (only make obvious moves), or play turns normally excepting combat (I'm not willing to play combat turns, as I'd have read too much information... )
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Looser.

This isn't, and should not become, a job, chore, or inconvenience. It is a game.

I'm also for a longer timeframe. But, I understand others are most concerned about speed.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

I favor something reasonably short (48 hours.. or less) and somewhat loose time controls

maybe a limited number of extra days to be used per year or something like that

I don't like Admins playing for teams.... (Ever)

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
        I don't like Admins playing for teams.... (Ever)

And hope that nothing ever causes this to happen.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

- 48 hours, with ability to request a 24h extension say 5 times over the course of entire game (for each team).

- There should also be extended turn times for harder-to-gather timespans like Christmas, New Years Day, Liberation Day, Easter.

- Admin hits endturn upon opening after time is out and sends on.

- Speaking personally.
          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I'm with the 48 hours being stated so far, I just happen to define it as a 'longer' timeframe, not a 'shorter' one as seems to be the case.
            One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
            You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

I suppose ordinary members may speak up here too. I'm only afraid, UnO, that loose time limits will turn this game into a MZO C3CDG like game in which everyone loses interest as a result of the slow pace.
              "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
              Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG

Comment

Well, if we can avoid replacing entire teams, it will go a long way to not slowing down to that pace, now, won't it. IMO THAT'S what killed that game: Things don't go well for one team, entire team leaves, one player plays as PBEM. Still not going well, he leaves, another player steps up with no idea what's going on. Teams involved with said team now must begin all diplomacy from scratch. This player leaves, a third who had never been in the game at all comes in, again diplomacy from scratch. In between all those changes game stoppage, teams get bored, Civ IV comes out, another team quits, replacement player found, again diplomacy from scratch. It's impossible to describe how much it sucks to have spent a year (or more) building a relation with a team/player and then have all that history wiped out and a new player installed with no clue on the history. It certainly kills my interest, anyway.

I think, looking at the teams here, we will not be needing to replace entire teams and basically start diplomacy all over. I'm pretty sure each team have players who will stick it out if things go wrong.

That said, 48 hours to post "hey, my computer is fubar" or, "I'm with the family tonight" and a little understanding is not too much to ask.

Also, by enforcing stricter limits you are theoretically handicapping smaller teams who have a fewer number of possible players.
                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

OK, I'm not a representative of a team, but I'm also for looser time limits.
                  "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
                  Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG

Comment

One thing we don't want, is for Admins to play for a team. That is one sure fire way to piss a team off, and lose its participation, which makes the game poorer for everyone.

So I guess I would suggest very understanding time penalties, and perhaps (to have an ADMIN play a turn) a group vote like there was for all these settings.

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Hmm. Can we maybe scale these a little bit?

The first turn will probably take a little longer for each team because we will all want to assess the starting position and go through the discussion process to decide the opening moves. Perhaps 48 hour or even 72 hour turn for the opening turn.

However, once that is done, most civs will be simply shuffling their warrior or scout around while waiting for the first build. We could go to even 24 hour turns here. Maybe the first 25 turns? A proviso would be that if some sort of inter-team conflict comes up, the time would immediately step to 48/36 hours.

After that, go to the standard turn time of 48/36 hours. I like having a little more time for discussion within the group - because it is fun - as long as teams don't deliberately bogart their hours. IOW, the turn gets submitted as rapidly as possible.

My vote is thus for a scaled Turn Time Limit (TTL).

Golden Bear

Comment

I'd expect teams to send early turns on fast on their own ... it's not early in the game we're worried about, really, it's later on. Early on, teams go fast anyway, because they're excited by the game

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                          One thing we don't want, is for Admins to play for a team. That is one sure fire way to piss a team off, and lose its participation, which makes the game poorer for everyone.

So I guess I would suggest very understanding time penalties, and perhaps (to have an ADMIN play a turn) a group vote like there was for all these settings.

Jon Miller
                          I'd assume we're talking about skipping turns, not actually playing it, at this point, given the tone of this thread.

Are there other penalties that you would want to assess? I've thought about some others (gold penalties, for example), but the problem I see is that teams that hold the turn unreasonably probably don't care much anymore about the game; once a turn limit is set, I don't see too many people who still want to play the game surpassing it significantly.

And we'll certainly have a vote... i wanted a nonbinding thread first before even thinking of the settings for the poll

Comment

last game some holding of the turn happened when diplomacy was being done (the diplo people took longer then one would prefer...)

it doesn't mean a lack of interest

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

My concern is that I witnessed considerable upset over what was felt to be an unfair holding of the turn - during a previous game. I am not certain about how to balance the overall desire to get through a game quickly (Hey, I'm NOT getting any younger!!) against the need to take extra time for some situations, the need to accomodate situations when the turn player needs to deal with a relative going into a hospital versus a team that just plain always pushes the time limit.

I expect that we will bounce into all these situations at one time or another.

At least maybe we can agree on some system that does not involve PF yelling to indicate discontent. Should there be a Snoopy/Leader forum where these things can be vented so that they do not show up publicly? Just another stupid Golden Bear idea.

GB

Comment

Working...
                              X