This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP: Civ Turn Order

I'd like to sound off the teams on how we should set the turn order.

Two possibilities emerge, to me. One is to choose a random turn order (similar to the civ selection); the other is to choose a turn order based on when teams are most able to play their turns.

So, if teams could post:

* When they're most able to play turns (not necessarily "any time", but the times you can usually or always play turns if they're present at that time; teams that need to meet before playing, for example, should take this into consideration

* Whether you'd prefer a "logical" turn order set by Aeson and myself, or a completely random one. (We'd randomly or pseudorandomly determine order between two equally logical teams for any given spot.)
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Early morning and late evenings mountain time seem to be when most of Team Merc is active in the forum. That said, outside of war situations I have a hard time seeing us take more than 24 hours given our structure.

The previous order is fine by us if we go random.

No real preference on logic vs random as turn player(s) are likely to change on each team, and with ne players comes new times.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

GS is spread all over the world as much as can be expected on Apolyton, and it is impossible to predict who will be turn player at which point where this could become an issue.

We should go along with the crowd and be slotted in where ever is convenient.

Subject to change if I get *****slapped by the team.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Does turn order make a difference to wonder-builds and first-to-discover tech goodies? Or are they randomly allocated in the event of a tie?

Comment

Does turn order make a difference to wonder-builds and first-to-discover tech goodies? Or are they randomly allocated in the event of a tie?
          Whomever is first (or higher) in turn order, gets full benefit, others can go recycle their effort.

I suggest it would be best that a new random-generation was done determining who will be first in turn order.
          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Vox would like to go first.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Everyone would like to go first.
              -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
              -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I don't know. Advantages to being last as well. It's the middle people that really get shafted.
                One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

I thought that it was linked to the civ choices process: whoever got the first civ pick, is last in turn order. Whoever was last with the civ pick, is first. I was already celebrating that we got the second to last civ pick, as it would be the second in turn order too... Looks like I was celebrating too soon.

DeepO

Comment

I was thinking the same thing DeepO

I mean, both are possible advantages...

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Random.

Many teams are spread around the world - we already are and hope to be more so (diversity improves the experience!).

Golden Bear, Sarantium

Comment

Oh, I didn't mention something important

Even with a logical organization of teams, who's FIRST would always be random. We'd choose a specific order, then choose a random number 1-7, and that number in the specific order would lead off

Comment

Originally posted by DeepO
                          I thought that it was linked to the civ choices process: whoever got the first civ pick, is last in turn order. Whoever was last with the civ pick, is first. I was already celebrating that we got the second to last civ pick, as it would be the second in turn order too... Looks like I was celebrating too soon.

DeepO
                          Well, we could certainly make it that way I suppose. I had thought that civ choice and color were linked, though i guess color doesn't matter much.

I'll talk to Aeson about it

Comment

Use the Random Number Generator?
                            He who knows others is wise.
                            He who knows himself is enlightened.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I believe, given that it was not stated to be the case earlier, that all teams would need to agree that reverse order of team picking is the rule for play order. And, if that is the case, we might then reconsider doing a random choice on team colors. English armies have, after all, worn scarlet since Cromwell's New Model Army.

GB

Comment

Working...
                              X