When, where and how to follow the MPDG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When, where and how to follow the MPDG

Hey guys! (now, where ARE those emancipated females?)

Great thing there will be a MPDG started soon!
    Since I'm a n00b at Civ IV (he11, I'm a n00b in ANY Civ-game!) , I would like to see how ya 'veterans' go at it!

So - sorry to ask a question with a probably obvious answer - did I miss the info as to when, where and how an outsider like me can follow the course of the MPDG? To see what moves and choices each team makes?
    Will there be a dedicated thread on the forum, do I have to sign in on a team to get emails with saves, or...
    Will there even be a way? Hope so!

Greetz

There won't be a thread or the like detailing the moves and choices everyone makes. Even at the end of the game that is unlikely to happen as there is so much that goes into it. An AAR of sorts would be hellish to write.

I would suggest if you really want to follow the action try to sign up with a team. As a self-confessed Noob they'll possibly ask you about your civ experiences, posting history, etc. so be prepared for that.

Comment

You can also simply watch the threads in this forum. This is where (some) of the discussions between teams occurs, and undoubtedly there will be at least some info on the various occurrences.

However, I definitely suggest you sign up with a team
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Royal, I tried to follow the C3CDG by reading the public threads but got really frustrated.

Find a team! Join it! You'll meet great people and have fun and many, many laughs. You might learn something about Civ even!

Golden Bear

Comment

Tnx!

There won't be a thread or the like detailing the moves and choices everyone makes.
          Too bad! Though I was thinking that it would have been nice if a thread would contain all saves. Of course, teammembers may be excluded from access to this thread.

Even at the end of the game that is unlikely to happen as there is so much that goes into it. An AAR of sorts would be hellish to write.
          Understood. It would also be kinda "testing patience" , since one game could very well last as long as 1.5 years...?

I would suggest if you really want to follow the action try to sign up with a team. As a self-confessed Noob they'll possibly ask you about your civ experiences, posting history, etc. so be prepared for that.
          However, I definitely suggest you sign up with a team
          Find a team! Join it! You'll meet great people and have fun and many, many laughs. You might learn something about Civ even!
          Okay, I'll take it in consideration. Though I must admit that if I would join a team (o/c if one would let me ), I'd probably do that just for "lurking".

greetz

Comment

Originally posted by RoyAl
            Too bad! Though I was thinking that it would have been nice if a thread would contain all saves. Of course, teammembers may be excluded from access to this thread.
            That would probably be difficult to enforce.

Understood. It would also be kinda "testing patience" , since one game could very well last as long as 1.5 years...?
            The first PTWDG took 2 1/2 years from start to heavily discussed finish.

Okay, I'll take it in consideration. Though I must admit that if I would join a team (o/c if one would let me ), I'd probably do that just for "lurking".

greetz
            A lot of people join demogames just to lurk.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhothaerill
              Originally posted by RoyAl
              A lot of people join demogames just to lurk.
              Indeed. I doubt any team would mind you joining just to watch, especially since you're upfront about it.

Comment

From a pure learning perspective, I would suggest Gathering Storm may be the best team to join, should they have you. Hell, I still wish I could dissect their Civ III forum for grains of knowledge.

Team mercenary would welcome you, but you should also realize we will be making choices that may not always be the 'best' path for a standard approach to Civ IV. Link to our thread is in my signature.
                One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Gathering Storm is currently the largest team (most members). I wonder how many are there "just to lurk". It seems to attract the lurkers like a magnet :-)
                  no sig

Comment

One less then I thought already.
                    He who knows others is wise.
                    He who knows himself is enlightened.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I don't know what you could be talking about.

Comment

From a pure learning perspective, I would suggest Gathering Storm may be the best team to join
                        Okay, I'll try GS.

GS seems to attract the lurkers like a magnet :-)
                        True. On the other hand, they also seem to have a lot of interesting people in their midst. (Not that the other team do not! I *must* add immediatly! )

Team mercenary (...) will be making choices that may not always be the 'best' path for a standard approach to Civ IV.
                        I realised that. Though I felt tempted to join Team Merc for the near brilliancy of the concept. Unorthodox indeed.

greetz

Comment

Originally posted by PJayTycy
                          Gathering Storm is currently the largest team (most members). I wonder how many are there "just to lurk". It seems to attract the lurkers like a magnet :-)
                          Maybe they should rename themselves Gathering Dust.

(and I mean no disrespect to any new member in saying that. It was just too good an opportunity to pass up. )
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                            From a pure learning perspective, I would suggest Gathering Storm may be the best team to join, should they have you. Hell, I still wish I could dissect their Civ III forum for grains of knowledge.

Team mercenary would welcome you, but you should also realize we will be making choices that may not always be the 'best' path for a standard approach to Civ IV. Link to our thread is in my signature.
                            Whatever happened to the idea of opening up the PTWDG private forums??

Beta,

Beware the Dust Devils (tm)! They come for you!

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Pretty sure at least part of those forums are in the archives now. Not sure what happened to either opening them up, or the review Trip was going to write...
                              One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Working...
                              X