Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TERRAN MAP - MAP OF Choice

Honorable Apolyton players

I would call for a support for the Terran Map. The Terran Map is everything a Civver, in particular for a demogame would call for. First of all, Civ is based on the experiences of human histoty, its units, features, civs and so on are all styled on the arena that created mankind, namely Earth.
    Pangea does not cut it, Archipelage does not cut it and continents does not cut it. Terran has the potential to deliver three gameshifting game periods,

In the Ancient time, we are all starting out in The Old World, and that is an early race for land, resources, borders and wonders, as well as the initial diplomatic relations. In the Midgame, there is a colonial race, in order to be the first to circumnavigate the world and get the first pick of new overseas colonies. In the endgame, there is a naval race, and a race for the new resources, oil, coal, aluminium and so on. This race is sustained by the presence of peripheral islands. In the endgame, there is an interest for that
    constant shift in diplomacy, gameshifting events.

Only the Terran Map can let us use Civ4 to the fullest potential.

I think that the Terran Map, would reflect the spirit of Civ the most, and reshuffle the diplomatic cards fully three times, something other maps are not capable of in the same manner.

For a price, I'm sure I can convince the rest of Team Mercenary to support you in this cause.

One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

It's an interesting option, no doubt about it. I'm neither or nor against... I'll go with the flow on this one.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

If Pangea doesn't cut it, why would Terran?

The biggest problem with Pangea is that it allows for extremely early and constant warfare. Players who beeline for the other continent will be cut down by those who plan warfare. Those who escape to the other continent will never grow in time to challenge the dominant power(s) on the old continent.

Don't use "Reality" as an acceptable premise for a game map - reality has never been and will never be a "balanced" environment. Those who started in the Fertile Crescent most assuredly had a tremendous amount of advantage than those that started 20,000 years later in Aboriginal Australia.

Terran is no less artificial and no more balanced than Wheel or Hub; it is a customized map with specific conditions, no better or worse than any other.

I'm not saying "Terran is bad." I'm saying "Terran isn't better." If you're going to explain to me why Terran is the best choice, don't just tell me through grandiose strokes that others aren't any good.

I'd like to see Custom Continents, 2 per continent, myself. Or possibly Wheel, 1 land mass per party, 3 wide spokes/rings, for something new and different.

"Different landmasses, X players each" is old and tired, and it's always used. One massive landmass, connected very unusually, with an inner and outer waterway.. now THAT would force some people out of their boxes and to start thinking.
        Friedrich Psitalon
        Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
        Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

The biggest downside for Terran map I see is that would take away the fun of exploration and the excitement of new resources popping in your empire (and embarassment if they pop out of your borders) as all the resource locations will be known.
          Also simple exploration for mapmaking would be too streamlined as everyone would be flying for distinct points, not wandering in the dark..
          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I'm with FP in that I'd like to see a custom continents game. While the Wheel/Hub/etc maps might be interesting, I think they lack a certain "flavor" that a DG needs.
            I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

So the Terran Map always has the resources in the same place?
              This could be randomized, couldn't it? I like the idea of everyone starting together. It will present some interesting choices on when to head out for the "New World"
              "To watch your eniemies die in glorious color and sourround sound is surely one of the greatest advantages of technology." - Eoin Colfer
              "You get more flies with a dead body than with honey." - Joshua Wade

Comment

One of the maps oriented towards MP and balance would be good, IMO, or a continents that is fixed up by someone like Sirian.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I think terran would be fun. I'm not sure about this resource problem you guys mention though.

Comment

Terran map just means you start out on a pangea, but there's a second continent far away that nobody starts on. It doesn't mean that resource locations are fixed, or that the map is fixed.

I would tend to agree that Terran maps are interesting possibilities for a demogame, although it probably would only work well on a fairly LARGE terran map, which might cause problems for some turnplayers, and would be a long game in any event.

I'd tend to support custom continents as my first choice, if I were playing
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It is also a question of novelty, from Civ3 to now. a Terran Map would create a whole new dynamic to an otherwise locked style diplomacy. The distant unused continent could indeed create some new strategy dilemmas not seen in a demogame, and the new map centering system, hiding the relative start position on the planet, would balance out things finely. I guess there are many agendas for pushing forward someones own argument, and make Terran look bad.
                      However, I personally like that set-up, and if there is a substantial interest for it,it should be considered on its own merits. Please consider it as a potential map, and not start a scare campaign those of you pushing other ideas.

Comment

I think it's great. Though you know everyone will probably beeline towards galleons. But not necessarily. It provides some interesting possibilities. How much of a military do teams want to divert to the new continent to conquer barb cities. Leaving their homelands less defended...

Comment

Ahh, sorry about the resource confusion I made, I was thinking the thread starter was actually referring to Earth map..stupid me!
                          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Yes ,you can imagine the secrecy that shrouds the colonizing Galleon and Frigate fleets colonizing the New World. You know, that this was very much the case when they found the
                            original new world, they had to balance out colonial and home assets.

Comment

Thinking about it some more, I say we do it It's different... and it's a really cool map script (I've played Terran before, and had a blast).

Terran raging barbs? Perhaps that's a bridge too far...

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X