MiniMap Trading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krill
    if you ban all screenshots, then you have to ban all methods of communicating the same data, otherwise you are just adding MM to a task of diplomacy
    This is where we differ Jon, I consider screenshot-trading to be the same as talking/writing about the land. You consider it to be the same as in-game map sharing.

The reason I don't consider it the same as in-game map sharing:
    => When special resources are revealed by a tech, they don't appear on the screenshots (I think they are revealed on the whole map if you trade in-game).
    => You can choose which parts of your map to disclose to others (in-game it's all or nothing).
    => It doesn't count for the circumnavigation effect (in-game map trading does)
    => You don't gain trade routes to other cities (in-game map trading does)

see: there's still enough difference between in-game map sharing and screenshot sharing.
    no sig

Comment

There is a reason why "paper" is listed in the technology tree after all.
      -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Repeating an argument does not increase its validity.
        Friedrich Psitalon
        Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
        Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

FP, that is directed to whom, exactly?
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

binTravkin, I assume.

Anyway, to me it boils down to this:

I think most of us would prefer that we follow the game mechanics as much as possible (no map trading until paper), but this does raise the issue of basic border agreements and the like - screenshots are *much* better tools than words (223 of the cow by the gold...).

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

No screenshot trading until paper is fine by me! border agreements or not
              Proud member of the PNY Brigade
              Also a proud member of the The Glory Of War team on PtW-DG

A.D 300, after 5h of playing DonHomer said: "looks like civ2 could be a good way to kill time if i can get the hang of it :P"

Comment

I agree with PJayTycy (dammit, chose an easier name next time...).

1) Screenshots offer no information that can't be exchanged by simple text (in principle). Some teams will take the time to do this, so all screenchots do is reduce the time and drudgery involved in this.

2) Free exchange of screenshots is much easier to enforce (no effort required). Text only would be on the honour system, which worked fine previously. Allowing screenshots of only mutually explored areas would be a nightmare.

3) Even with screenshot trading, in-game map trades post paper still offer considerably more benefit (as PJay says) - and is guaranteed correct, while screenshots can be faked.

The problems from not allowing screenshots seem like more of a headache (and less fun) than the problems from allowing them.

Comment

It's all caught in mother****ing semantics.
                  I say let everyone tell everyone anything they bloody well want to whomever they want.
                  If you wanna say "I'm on the East Coast of the Southern Hemisphere" before anyone's met anyone else, Do it.

This was the part of the Alpha Centauri PBEM Scene that I hated the crap out of - that you had other players, or whole other TEAMS of players, and for the love of god you couldn't interact with them about the game that you were both playing.
                  What the ****.

I'll be sharing any info that my team deems is useful to share, to whomever finds it useful, laugh at your kyoto-protocol silence treaty, and if your team declares war for this so be it - we'd dogpile you in your first war anyway, because you wouldn't think it's 'kocher' to trade maps to plot strategy.

Comment

Working...
                  X