No announcement yet.

Roleplay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a thought, since the decision on whether a "role play" incident is more or less in the eyes of the reader rather than the writer, we could agree that if someone takes issue for any reason whatsoever then the original post will be edited out with a mandatory apology.

Accompany this with a mandate that neither side can bear a grudge after deletion and apology and we should be on our way to being uniformly civil.

Comment

Some role play is fun and unavoidable in a game like this. I suggest that if we are role playing in a post we make that clear in one of a few ways.

1 - We start or end the post with an alternate in-game name.

Daddious-Biggous-Ous: Oh Golden Bear you wretched liar and poor excuse for diplomat my armies are coming for your children!!!!!

2 - we wrap our roleplay in tags

[rp] Conmcb25 will be captured and beaten with a kielbasa if you do not honor this treaty. Remove your troops now you - you - I'll think of something![/rp]

3 - we use Yellow when in character just to make Beta's eyes burst.

Can we have peace next turn?

Then if it is hostile role play make sure to make a kind out-of-character comment to ease the tension.

Golden Bear you old dog. I've really got you over a barrel now don't I? How about them White Sox?
      Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

way back in the day (think '95) AOL Roleplay did things like this:

1. All text was meant to be IC or In Character if it was not altered.
        2. If you wanted to talk OOC or Out Of Character you would ((wrap text in double parentheses))
        3. All stuff said ((OOC: Remained OOC and any responses to OOC text were required to be OOC because a character could not communicate with its player))

This would solve diplomacy issues if there were specific diplomacy threads and the top thread named the player and character.

Example:

The Nation of Gorpoopula & The Nation of Basementslavakia Diplomacy Thread.

Gorpoopulan Diplomat : Thor Burgermeister III ((Metaliturtle))
        Basementslavakian Diplomat : Burt Reynolds ((Grandpa Troll))

Then any posts in that thread made by me would be read like they were from Thor Burgermeister III, personal attacks are only made at the characters, and since the characters are diplomats, a certain attitude should be taken or other nations may see the way a nation treats other nations and would have grounds to refuse relations etc. based on this in game history. ((Instead of out of game misgivings))
        First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
        Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

D-zero, those socks wouldn't be white if your ole' lady chewed 'em. Is there such a thing as a White Sox fan? I could make a case that there is not.

Oh, and in role-play, you can have my children, just don't touch my keilbasa unless you are serious.

Comment

Additionally, if players don't adhere to these simple roleplay rules, it makes them appear in game to be insane, in the example above, if I were to type a personal attack on Grandpa Troll, and not wrap it in ((OOC Parentheses)) it will seem like my character has gone insane, a perfectly logical excuse to rid the world of his demon seed
            First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
            Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

@Golden Bear
              D-Zero? I'll have to get used to that.
              Sox Fans? None here.

@Metaliturtle
              I guess I agree in concept. Your idea or one of mine. But this game should adopt something.

I will agrue that instead of making it clear that you are OOC, I think you should make it clear that you are IC. Only because these forums assume that all posts come from the member, and because not all threads are game play threads.

But again, the members of the game should adopt some standard. Maybe write it into the constitution.
              Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

Yeah, I meant for diplomacy threads and such, where things would be treated differently, or just put IC (in character) before the title of the post to indicate that these rules apply

Comment

Clear guidlines are needed.
                  Long Live The Horde
                  Marshal of the Concordian Armed Forces
                  Membership Officer of the Axe Grinders Guild

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy-O
                    [rp] Conmcb25 will be captured and beaten with a kielbasa if you do not honor this treaty. Remove your troops now you - you - I'll think of something![/rp]
                    Is that Logan Square Keilbasa? Hopefully so. I am very particular about what kind of kielbasa I get beaten with :doitnop!:
                    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Something I'm not clear about here. Is this a proposition for a Roleplay team, or a Roleplay game?

I believe only the latter is viable, where all teams are roleplaying. Otherwise you get roleplaying teams expecting other teams to play along with their caper - and it doesn't work.

Apart for the diplomatic protocol mismatches, objectives and gameplay can get distorted. Again this is all fine if all teams are doing it, but not otherwise.

All Roleplayers in a Roleplay Game!

Comment

Well, I know that some don't go for role play and just don't get into it, but if they know that my posts are just the manical rants of Daddy-Il-Sung they might be ok with it. I will also know that when they go off on Daddy-Il-Sung that they are not attacking me, and that Daddy-Il-Sung probably has it coming. People in character need to understand that what they dish out will be returned in full.

@con
                        [rp]I will beat you with the Kielbasa of my choosing!!!!! Behold my Usinger!!!!! [/rp]

Comment

Usinger?

What a peasent you are
                          *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Now I can't tell.

Are you insulting the world's finest sausage in character? You can't be serious. And I know that you didn't just call me a peasent (sic).

Comment

Usinger is mass produced, and yes its good but if you want REALLy good sausage you go to a place like this:

Which is also the place that always made my various deer sausages when I lived in the great state of wisconsin

Comment

I demand an apology! I will not let you besmirch the good name of Fritzie and the beer drinking elves that make Usinger's fine sausage.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X