Civ4 Purchasable For Download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ4 Purchasable For Download

Sid Meier’s Civilization 4 is now available as purchasable download. Direct2Drive is offering Civilization 4 for the price of 49.95$ .

How does this work? It`s simple. Buy Civilization 4, then download and install the file. The first time you run it, simply enter the custom activation code from your email receipt. Thats it! You`re playing your brand new game and you never even had to leave your house! The Civilization 4 Download is the same exact game as you would get in a retail store.

The offer is valid for residents of US, Canada, Mexico, and the United Kingdom.
    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Can someone explain to me why an internet download of all things would have delivery limited to only four countries?

Comment

I like the handiness of not having to deal with CDs and don't even mind having limited "re-installs" if my machine craps out (since I think they'll usually renew your limited deals endlessly as long as you're not blatantly abusing it to supply your whole office) but...I think I've learned the hard way...you're often kind of screwed with patches. Unless this is somehow different from all of the other downloadable versions of software I've dealt with, you can't apply the standard patches to these download versions but need to get patches specially made for the download version which would hopefully occur soon enough but not likely immediately when the patch is first released (not a high priority I'll bet).

So as cool as Civ IV is its going to need quite a few patches in its lifetime and I wouldn't recommend this path UNLESS they've worked it somehow where it will take the standard patches.

Comment

I'm not sure I understood it correctly. The 'naked' game: no CDs (or DVD), no manual, no retail box... for the same price.

Great deal. What a pity I live in Spain, I wish I'd live in one of these four countries to tell them what do I think about it
        "Son españoles... los que no pueden ser otra cosa" (Cánovas del Castillo)
        "España es un problema, Europa su solución" (Ortega y Gasset)
        The Spanish Civilization Site
        "Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico

Comment

I was able to download it because my parents are Canadian (I remember my address ).
          But I'm not sure I can recommend it since expansion packs have to be the download version and there is no manual. I'm unhappy about that. I may buy a proper version of the game later on.
          Formerly known as Masuro.
          The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

jasev, that too. The price

Comment

They now have a patch that includes the manual, tech tree, the missing voiceovers, and the missing tech music.

Quite a lot to have missed the first time around.

Comment

Folks you may care to know that this downloadable edition of the game uses different patches than the normal version, and people have reported months long waits for them.

This is definitely not a good product

Comment

The company is run by Gamespy and Gamespy is deeply involved in Civ 4 multiplayer so with luck they will get patches quickly. Otherwise I will not be happy at all.

Comment

This is the best way to get Civ4 if it isn't in your region yet, but you need to cheat their system a little bit. Make two accounts, one with your true address/country and one with no address and the country set as the United States. Have your first account buy a gift certificate for the "American" account (note: this will cost you $60 and the game only costs $49.95, so you'll probably want to get something from their bargain bin), then have your American account buy the game using the gift certificate. They'll never ask for an address or anything else to verify your information (and why should they, considering they've already got your money).

Not entirely honest but it doesn't harm anyone (aside from, possibly, the publisher of Civ4 in your territory).

Comment

Working...
                    X