Can my computer run this game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my computer run this game?

I know, my computer is a really bullXXXX, an artifact of history...

it is a pentium 4 2.0 ghz
    memory 256mb
    Graphic card Geforce 4mx440 64 with agp 8x

I've heard that Civ 4 is gonna be a great trouble for
    low system users...

Is it gonna be that hard to run it?

You need more memory for sure.
    I'm not sure if your graphics card will be ok either.

There's a site somewhere that checks if your computer is ready for civ4. I'm not sure which site it is though.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Go here: http://www.srtest.com/referrer/srtest
      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

The card is borderline. Do you have any friends who have the game so you can try it first?
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

That card has issues and you will need more RAM.
          Call me Frank.
          To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Despite what these people think, the card will work. It won't be spectacular, but it will run the game. You'll probably want more memory

Comment

The card will run the game, although you will want to turn the quality texture down. You need, however, to double, at least, your amount of RAM.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Shouldn't it be a pretty fair indication of whether your computer can run this game if it does/doesn't do okay with Pirates? ...at least graphically.

Comment

Originally posted by calarrick
                  Shouldn't it be a pretty fair indication of whether your computer can run this game if it does/doesn't do okay with Pirates? ...at least graphically.
                  Apparently not. Some people who were able to run Pirates are reporting problems with Civ 4. There's an issue with certain systems that use ATI video cards.

Comment

That's a bug that will likely be solved in a matter of days, let's not pin it on that

Piratis is a rough indication of what's required but only a rough one. Pirates never had to contend with up to 18 full AI processes, it never had nearly as many items on the map as Civ4 and Civ4 likely has some special graphics effects and that weren't used and didn't make sense in Pirates. Just look at the min specs to see if Civ4 will run on your system and when in doubt, post your specs (as loco43 did).

And in loco's case I agree with what's been said. You need more memory and, having used the mx440 with Civ4 myself, I would recommend upgrading the graphics card as well, even if the game does run on it.
                    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                      That's a bug that will likely be solved in a matter of days, let's not pin it on that
                      What? I'm just stating a fact. Being able to run Pirates is no guarentee that Civ 4 will run. Yes it's bug, but the fact still remains.

Is there any indication yet of which ATI cards are being affected? It looks like the 9550 is one of them, unfortunately for me. I'm glad I haven't spent any money on the game yet at least.

Comment

It's not specific to any particular cards, I've seen reports of 9550s working fine. But it does seem to be focused on the older carts (<9700), the 9550 being one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                          And in loco's case I agree with what's been said. You need more memory and, having used the mx440 with Civ4 myself, I would recommend upgrading the graphics card as well, even if the game does run on it.
                          How did the game run with the mx440? Was it choppy, etc..?

Comment

It ran. That's about it. Well, for the longest time there were serious graphics problems but those were fixed. It's really the absolute minimum card to run this game on, you don't want to go even lower (not like you can), but it looks so much better on a Radeon 9800 PRO Which is a pretty cheap card ATM, no reason not to upgrade to something like it unless you're seriously low on cash.

Comment

Thank you for all your replies

I'm lacking of money right now, so I should wait...

I cant wait to play this game though...

If Im to buy a RAM, which one should I buy?

any ideas?

And, how much would a Radeon 9800 cost?

some ppl say that geforce is better than radeon, what should I do about it?

Comment

Working...
                              X