Order from play.com serious offer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Order from play.com serious offer?

Does anybody know if this shop (play.com) is trustworthy? They ship Civ IV for 30 € and without shipping costs to Germany. Amazon.de sells for 48 € and Amazon.uk for 40€. I dont see how they can make such a price...

Who cares, just buy
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

AFAIK they are, I have a friend who has bought lots of series and movies and stuff from them. I believe they are in some kind of low tax country. And thats the reason for their low prices.

Comment

Trustworthy so far - I've ordered LOTS of stuff from them and no problems. I dont know about the release date though - that may well change...

They're based in Jersey which is a well known British tax haven for the rich and famous. No taxes (to speak of) means lower prices and free P&P. Several other companies are following their example.

Lard.

Comment

I've ordered several dvds and games from them, and I've never been disappointed. Sometimes their shipping takes a long(ish) time though, at least to Finland...

Comment

The only possible hiccup ordering from play.com (if you live in a EU country) is that when you order something from play.com - which is outside the EU tax zone but in the EU - you are supposed to pay any possible VAT to your own country.

For instance, if you order from Finland, you are supposed to pay the normal 22% VAT when it crosses the border. *However*, the Finnish customs control will not take action if they'd had to charge you only under 10 euros. That's the limit for them giving a damn.

That means everything worth 45.40 euros or less won't be touched by the customs control, since they wouldn't act on it if they found out the thing was being imported from outside the tax zone.

Now, this differs (wildly even) from EU country to EU country, so you should check how it goes in your own nation, from the website of the ministry of interior affairs, from the website of the customs department, or something similar.

They're supposed to take Visa Electron, so I'm trying it out by ordering a paperback book to test the waters - maybe I can get my Civ4 from there too
            Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Yeah I forgot about that. The limit to the UK is £18, theoretically. However, I've ordered several items costing £40 to £50 with no problems. Of course, YMMV.

Comment

Play.com is eminently trustworthy, on the scale of Amazon. You generally don't have to pay any duty for deliveries to the UK.
                mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

Originally posted by lard
                  Yeah I forgot about that. The limit to the UK is £18, theoretically. However, I've ordered several items costing £40 to £50 with no problems. Of course, YMMV.
                  Luck of the draw really...but at that price, it is under the limit for applying customs charges to.
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I ordered from Play.com because the ship date was this friday, not next. It looks like that has been changed now for the UK, so I may cancel.

Play.com have occasionally had me waiting a week or more for delivery (Psychonauts took 3 weeks), and I can easily afford to pick it up direct on the friday. With a game this big a wait like that is unlikely, but getting it direct guarantees me a weekend of Civ IV
                    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                    H.Poincaré

Comment

Sh*t, they've changed the release date
                      Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Yeah, new date is Nov 4.

Comment

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys

I had great hopes of dvdboxoffice in canada offering the US version to us yesterday, but they seem to have to have totally messed up this time and are offering the EU version even later than the normal release date. Play.com was about my last hope for getting a copy before the standard UK release date.
                          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                          H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
                            I ordered from Play.com because the ship date was this friday, not next. It looks like that has been changed now for the UK, so I may cancel.

Play.com have occasionally had me waiting a week or more for delivery (Psychonauts took 3 weeks), and I can easily afford to pick it up direct on the friday. With a game this big a wait like that is unlikely, but getting it direct guarantees me a weekend of Civ IV
                            Sure you didnt order from Play because it's REALLY cheap? I know I did, and I'm not Scottish (teehee).

The date was always likely to change to be honest

Lard.

Comment

I buy any game I'm not eager for from Play or another cheap source, because saving money is the main factor. Right now I have nothing new to play (Rome TW Barbarian Invasions was a disappointment in that the gameplay remains the same even though the units have changed) so I'm quite happy to pay the store cost to get it next friday. Its unlikely to be more than £29.99 the way the stores compete, and I can easily afford it. A good weekend of gaming is worth the £12, I'd spend more than that on a cinema ticket and a hamburger.
                              H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                              X