Civ IV in Malaysia - Problem with Piracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ IV in Malaysia - Problem with Piracy

I have moved to Malaysia a few weeks ago and the situation with respect to piracy here is not good. I have scoured several shopping malls and software stores and I am convinced that all the merchandise they sell is pirated. Games (and movies) are sold on a per CD basis and each CD costs 5RM (about $1.50)... The depressing thing about it is that these shops look like ordinary stores in normal shopping malls and even give receits and refunds if there are problems with the merchandise. I have not found a single store which I think is selling legitimate/legal games.

I would like to ask any Malays or indeed anybody living in Malaysia that frequents these boards if they know of some place in Kuala Lumpur that sells legal copies of computer games, as I would like to get the game as soon as it comes out (and I cannot do internet orders). Thank you for your kind help.
    Rome rules

Perhaps you can postorder from amazon or the like?

Comment

Originally posted by Freddz
      Perhaps you can postorder from amazon or the like?
      As I mentioned I cannot order from the internet (I don't even have a credit card...). I am sure there simply must be some place here that sells legitimate copies of games - I have only been here for a few weeks thus far - hopefully somebody who is more knowledgable about local conditions will turn up and give me some advice where such legitimate copies can be found here.
      Rome rules

Comment

Ok sorry. Read your message too fast it seems.

Comment

Good luck. My wife is from Ipoh, Malaysia. There are basically no legit outlets for media.

Roman is not kidding or exaggerating, by the way. You can by prirated DVD's and computer software in the mall, pay with a credit card, get a receipt, exchange defectives, etc. etc.
          Got my new computer!!!!

Comment

Shocking.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

That's how it also is here! There are pirated software disks in the malls, and I know of several small shops that sell exclusively pirated stuff - hundreds of disks. At the same time, we started getting legal games less than two years ago - prior to that, you would be very lucky to find a legal game.

And even that doesn't solve the problem. The legal games that are sold here are DVD-cases, not boxes - thus, any game that ships only in boxed versions is unavailable. Or at least I haven't found a place selling those so far.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Nikolai,

Not really. Poverty and exclusion is terrible and demands action for the civ-hungry malaysian population.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                  Shocking.
                  Actually this is a big problem in a lot of places.
                  Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

I remember it was a shop in Prague doing the same when I was there during the summer 2004, but it wasn't everywhere, and you could get original games there.
                    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

What about the laws in Malaysia?

Don´t they have some kind of copyright laws which makes such things illegal?
                      Or is it just a question of how much the shop owners pay to bribe the local police?
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

serbian game shops sell only a couple of original games. it is impossible to order pc games from online retailers because of their ****** shipping restrictions. i managed to find somebody to bring me civ4, but all you can do (again, because of idiotic shipping restrictions) is throw yourself at the pirates. it usally takes at least 3-4 months for a good-selling game to appear at legit shelves here.

Comment

I be the Pirate of Men's Pants, yarrrrrrr.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

edit by markg: another post like this and you get a free vacation
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I haven't been to KL for quite some time, so my suggestion may not work .....

You can go to book shops (Times, MPH, Popular) in bigger shopping malls like KLCC, I am quite sure they sell CD Rom games. The release date may be later though.
                              C3C ISDG Final Round : Actively Lurking

Comment

Working...
                              X