Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Tech Trading

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Poll: Tech Trading

    Basicly, what sort of rules do we want concerning this most important aspect of the game.

  • #2
    Hmm, it didn't post the poll.

    Lets just vote manually.


    1. No tech trading

    2. Trade only self researched techs.

    3. Trade only self researched techs once.

    4. Trade only self researched techs twice.

    5. No rules tech trading.


    Keep in mind this choice affects the speed of the game. The more liberal the tech trade rules, the faster the game will go (exponentially).

    Comment


    • #3
      I vote no tech trade.

      Comment


      • #4
        I believe it should be allowable.

        Comment


        • #5
          By allowable, do you mean no restrictions?

          Comment


          • #6
            No restrictions of any kind.

            This should encourage diplomacy and it might accelerate the game but I don't think all will trade with everyone so wouldn't be much of a problem.

            Comment


            • #7
              5. no rules tech trading
              Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

              Comment


              • #8
                All tech trading allowed. Rock on.

                I think that is a 5.
                Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

                Comment


                • #9
                  One more vote for option 5/five (no restrictions of any kind).
                  Adam T. Gieseler

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It should be between (1) and (5) in my opinion. The sub-options are the kind of things that are decided between individual teams in individual deals, and restricting them is just silly.

                    I'm all for tech trading on. It makes for so many more diplomatic options, and as a result such a more interesting game. Of course, the tech pace does tend to go a bit faster, but that can easily be compensated for. (At the Strategamer site we've adopted a fairly standard practice of having a minimum of Monarch difficulty level in games with tech trading on [which is pretty much all of them]. This increases the tech costs for every team and thus restores a bit of balance to compensate for the ability to tech trade, such that you don't reach the modern age in 1300 AD [for example].)
                    - Lord Parkin / emperor

                    Read all about my adventures in the Realms Beyond Pitboss 4 game!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      1. No tech trading

                      Playing without tech trading is much more balanced, fair, and relaxing, with 24 hour turns specially
                      Campeón 2006 Progressive Games
                      civ4 mods: SCSCollateral GrayAgainstBlue ProperCrossings
                      civ3 terrain: Irrigations Roads Railroads Borders Multimine Sengoku Napoleonic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Niessuh
                        Playing without tech trading is much more balanced, fair, and relaxing, with 24 hour turns specially
                        We have 48 hour turns.
                        Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lord Parkin

                          Of course, the tech pace does tend to go a bit faster, but that can easily be compensated for. (At the Strategamer site we've adopted a fairly standard practice of having a minimum of Monarch difficulty level in games with tech trading on [which is pretty much all of them]. This increases the tech costs for every team and thus restores a bit of balance to compensate for the ability to tech trade, such that you don't reach the modern age in 1300 AD [for example].)
                          I am not sure why accelerating the game a bit is of any problem at all. Depending on the play style of each team and their abilities, as well as how fast they will take their turns, this game could easily last somewhere between 2 and 3 years, it's not that will last a few days of joy

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Niessuh

                            1. No tech trading

                            Playing without tech trading is much more balanced, fair, and relaxing, with 24 hour turns specially
                            Playing without tech trading can unbalance the game too, will definitely favor certain leader traits.

                            As for relaxing, I don't want it that way, I want the game more intriguing, harder to manage, more competitive. That will increase the challenge and thus the interest and enjoyment. If I want to relax I'll play single-player or watch some TV

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Tech trading is very important in a demo game, and should absolutely be allowed. Pinchak, for all that other PTBS games might be interesting without tech trading, for me this is not a question that should even be asked. Demo games are about diplomacy first, and tech trading is an important aspect of diplomacy.
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X