No announcement yet.

Pitboss - Q's and A's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think many people would want to play in a demogame that eliminated the ability to work with other teams. I understand your concern about alliances "deciding" the game right off the bat, but I don't really think that will happen in a small team game situation. Things will be pretty fluid, I'd imagine, and won't boil down to something so locked into place.
    I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
      no discussing tech trades in future until communism or fascism is fucked up.
      It's your opinion, isn't it ?

happy now?
      I don't need this kind of comments, thanks.
      Hosting and playing the Civ4BtS APT
      Ex-Organizador y jugador de Civ4BtS Progressive Games

Comment

Originally posted by ZargonX
        ... but I don't really think that will happen in a small team game situation. Things will be pretty fluid, I'd imagine, and won't boil down to something so locked into place.
        With 10+ teams, let's wait and see ...
        Hosting and playing the Civ4BtS APT
        Ex-Organizador y jugador de Civ4BtS Progressive Games

Comment

Personally, I will quickly lose interest if the team has trouble keeping up with a 24 hour turnplay deadline and the ai starts playing turn after turn for us.

There is little chance of teams spread over multiple timezones setting up chat times every day. So basically I think you are looking to shoot yourself in the foot by wanting to go too fast.

If there is to be a vote I would say 48. It will still be way faster than a team pbem.

Comment

When you live at GMT +12 a 24 hour turn time will not allow you to get involved in any discussions as the game progresses.

I do agree with UnO that early on - 24 hrs is fine, particularly if the team has a basic "gameplan" for early techs, exploration direction etc.

Later on it would, IMO, need to be a longer turn.

48 hrs would allow some conversation, nut 72 would be better.
            I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Set a longer timer.

Each team pledges when they can to play in 24 hours (or less) but when time is needed for discussion you have extra time.

This game will go light years faster then a PBEM version even at a 72 hour timer.............
              *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by polarnomad
                Personally, I will quickly lose interest if the team has trouble keeping up with a 24 hour turnplay deadline and the ai starts playing turn after turn for us.

There is little chance of teams spread over multiple timezones setting up chat times every day. So basically I think you are looking to shoot yourself in the foot by wanting to go too fast.

If there is to be a vote I would say 48. It will still be way faster than a team pbem.
                Are you involved in any pitboss games? I am, 5 of them. 3 are on 24 hour turn timers, and 2 on 36. I prefer the 3 on the 24 hour turn timer for the predictability - something which would be important to a team - and as has been mentioned - a team spread over the world. But with a team of more than 1, I am not clear as to why the AI would ever have to play your turn for you.

And it would not have to be done by chat - there are various ways of co-ordinating input - even with different time zones.

I say we are shooting ourselves in the foot if we pick something longer than 24 hours to start with.
                Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Originally posted by nugog
                  When you live at GMT +12 a 24 hour turn time will not allow you to get involved in any discussions as the game progresses.

I do agree with UnO that early on - 24 hrs is fine, particularly if the team has a basic "gameplan" for early techs, exploration direction etc.

Later on it would, IMO, need to be a longer turn.

48 hrs would allow some conversation, nut 72 would be better.
                  72 would be an utter no-no IMHO. What's the issue with co-ordinating input from GMT +12? You are either the first ones to provide input on today's turn, or the ones to receive it before playing the turn.

That is one thing that has not come up yet. A 24 hour turn timer allows teams to get into a set pattern of play - a groove so to speak. That is what I have found has happened with my 24 hour pitboss games. They are predictable. With a 36 or 48 hour or longer turn timer - it is never obvious when the next turn is going to come up - so you are at the whim of the game dynamics to wait and play your tun. Any rhythm or flow that you, or your team has set up is broken. An that may be more chaotic than a 24 hour turn limit.
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25
                    Set a longer timer.

Each team pledges when they can to play in 24 hours (or less) but when time is needed for discussion you have extra time.

This game will go light years faster then a PBEM version even at a 72 hour timer.............

Read above.

Comment

no discussing tech trades in future until communism or fascism is fucked up.

happy now?
                      Krill - come on. This is not necessary. Could you not find a more constructive way of voicing your disagreement?

And congrats I suppose on breaking the 'code'.

Comment

Astro - sorry for not responding to your suggesting earlier. To be honest, ZargonX's post above is pretty much my response as well. I can see the 'interest' and 'novelty' in such an approach - just not sure it should be applied to a demo game with many folks involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Beta

Are you involved in any pitboss games? I am, 5 of them. 3 are on 24 hour turn timers, and 2 on 36. I prefer the 3 on the 24 hour turn timer for the predictability - something which would be important to a team - and as has been mentioned - a team spread over the world. But with a team of more than 1, I am not clear as to why the AI would ever have to play your turn for you.

And it would not have to be done by chat - there are various ways of co-ordinating input - even with different time zones.

I say we are shooting ourselves in the foot if we pick something longer than 24 hours to start with.
                          Well, with a team of more than one, there needs to be some consensus before playing the turn. Sure, you could play the turn on your own without checking with others, but then why make teams?

I'm just not sure I can commit time every single day to playing this game. Perhaps the solution then is that I am not involved. If you decide 24 is the way to go, then I can try it and if I feel like it's too quick for me then I'll stick to C4DG.
                          Last edited by polarnomad; February 17, 2007, 01:34.

Comment

Originally posted by polarnomad

Well, with a team of more than one, there needs to be some consensus before playing the turn. Sure, you could play the turn on your own without checking with others, but then why make teams?

I'm just not sure I can commit time every single day to playing this game. Perhaps the solution then is that I am not involved. If you decide 24 is the way to go, then I can try it and if I feel like it's too quick for me then I'll stick to C4DG.
                            Polar - the discussion here is to try and find the common ground we can all live with - or more approriately - play on.

And the key point is exactly as you have stated - how do we ensure/encourage involvement (strategizing, discussion, roleplay, whatever) and still maintain a reasonable pace of play.

I have been pushing for 24 hours, but I do not want to do it at the expense of losing the essence of a demo game, and at the expense of losing a large portion of otherwise interested players.

So don't leave yet. Please.

Comment

When we get more folks here for the game, I will post a poll for the trun timer.

Comment

I fear that with 24 hours it will be very difficult for someone to give imput on a regular basis if he/she is living in very different timezone AND if one has to go to work / school etc.

48 hours will give much more time to organize RL and demogaming without taking away the fun.
                                Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

Working...
                                X