Quick Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question

When will the next Apolyton Demogame begin?

If it helps, I have already designed about 50% of the map that could be used.

Comment

DMOC, if you want to see another DG here at Poly I would recommend getting the ball rolling by seeing who is interested in playing.

If you want to be the admin and set things up you'll need to sort out a host, teams, players, map, admins etc.

If you lack experience in any of these fields I would listen to the advice of the numerous experienced players around Poly about the numerous pitfalls of the various DG's we have participated in.

I'll throw my hat into the ring and say I'm interested in playing.

Good luck!!
      Let your every day be full of joy, love the child that holds your hand, let your wife delight in your embrace, for these alone are the concerns of humanity.
      The BtS Pitboss Team Democracy Game has just started!!!
      Come and test your metal in the Apolyton Civ4 Beyond the Sword Tri-League Tournament
      Tohunga o kairākau of Southern Cross in the Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game, and Member of the Great Council and Curator of The Khan's Compendium for The Horde in the Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

Thanks for expressing interest. It would be nice to see another Demogame here, but of course interest is needed first. I've read before that the last Demogame took several months to actually start. Is that true?

I actually have no experience with being an admin but I've played in the civ demogame and know what to expect from this. If time permits, I can try to gather a group of players, but this must be done after the first 2 weeks of October (for my personal reasons).

If you're wondering about the map, I'm making it for a different reason actually, but can easily adapt it to a demogame. I was wondering how the old map was that imbalanced... I would never make it like that.

Comment

Indeed it did. It suffered from the dreaded 'the next patch is just around the corner' dilemma which we wouldn't have to face this time.

Another mistake I made in setting up the last game was trying to satisfy everyones wishes, a mistake I won't make again. You'll never please everyone no matter what you do, so save yourself a lot of unnecessary grief and streamline the process as much as possible.

I'd be very tempted to suggest listening to advice on what makes a good DG map from as many voices of experience as you can, getting the map designed using a 'best map' brief and going with that. Invite people to play with a clearly defined rule set and outline of game settings to be used. Teams choose their civs based on the same brief the mapmaker got and known settings, or even have them randomly assigned. People can join up if they are interested, otherwise they can pass on playing. Game kicks off asap while everyone is still chomping at the bit.

One definite no no is having too many teams. Less is definitely more in DGs as the drop out rate is unfortunately quite high. Quality rules over quantity in this case, a small, dynamic, efficient, hardcore team will last the distance compared to a over-inflated team with little participation.
          Let your every day be full of joy, love the child that holds your hand, let your wife delight in your embrace, for these alone are the concerns of humanity.
          Come and test your metal in the Apolyton Civ4 Beyond the Sword Tri-League Tournament
          Tohunga o kairākau of Southern Cross in the Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game, and Member of the Great Council and Curator of The Khan's Compendium for The Horde in the Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

I agree with Rob.

And I'm in.

Comment

I agree as well.

If you're wondering, the map I'm making is what I'd call a "modified pangea."

Basically, I started up a donut world map (standard size) and "roughed up" the edges a bit and MASSIVELY adjusted the terrain to make the teams balanced. So the map basically looks like a pangea, but with plenty of other peninsulas (both long and short), mountains (and choke points!) hilly areas, seas and bays, deserts, jungles, and a couple of stray islands. Making the map shouldn't be that hard since I have 2 years of worldbuilder experience.

Comment

You're going to need alot of players to get another demogame off the ground. I'd suggest that you figure out what type of game you want running, with limited teams (max six), hash out the requirements, then go advertise on other forums. My basic suggestions would be 48 hour turn time, simul turns, full tech trading (or none whatsoever, No Brokering breaks the diplomacy), and No Events (as the CFC game showed they don't work). I figure minimum 40 active people, no flunkies, are needed.

DMOC, if you want to play in the game, you can't also make the map (for obvious reasons). I'd offer to make the map myself as I have no wish to play (or do anything else for that matter), but most people probably don't want me doing anything like that.
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Well, no need for that, since I have actually done 99% of the map now. My map is specifically designed for 6 players.

I'll see if I have the time to get a game going in the future, perhaps near the start of 2010, or in November.

Comment

Sounds great DMOC.

Personally I'll be flat out until after Xmas, but will do what I can before......

Comment

Nah, I'm thinking it's best to wait until after Christmas. Trying to get everyone together in late November/Dec and then having the game on hold for 2 weeks during holidays isn't my idea of a nice start.

I'm testing my map while playing against immortal AI's right now. Seems to be good in terms of balance. Every capital has a set of ~20 criteria points (that I set up) that it must meet.

Comment

Sounds very interesting. If we fail to get this going as a DG I'd be very interested to play it as PBEM.

Comment

Originally posted by DMOC View Post
                          Well, no need for that, since I have actually done 99% of the map now. My map is specifically designed for 6 players.
                          I'd be careful about having 6 teams, with that many players you're going to having problems getting enough players over the cource of the game, even if you get enough people at the start.

Comment

Or 3 teams manage 2 civs each?
                            On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

The problem is that you'll have two teams who team together, then crush the outside man

Comment

Working...
                              X